SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing i have to say, is that Enigma over on Twitter was right about one thing. I think we are going to end up with some good Innocence/Experience albums after all is said and done.

To be able to combine the best of these two albums will be a lot of fun.

ps. scared that he or she says Landlady is the weakest track after hearing American Soul... :huh:

How were the lyrics? Any standouts relative to the whole discography? Did the lyrics tend to be like those of The Best Thing or?

Ok so lot of questions! I'll do my best. Please note : I only got one listen of this album. And got to cheekily listen back to a few tracks I liked most. (Those being Love is all we have left, Red Flag Day and Summer of Love).

The lyrics are quite good overall. Can come across a bit cheesy here and there but I actually think Best Thing is the simplest song lyrically.

Summer of Love has a prominent pop guitar beat from Edge that isn't unlike an Artic Monkeys/Foster the people feel. The lyrics I can remember are "I've been thinking bout the west coast, not the one that everyone knows" that's essentially the lead into the chorus and it is VERY catchy. Even now some days after hearing this it is still in my head.

Red Flag Day was cheesy but really stood out as well. "Baby it's a red flag day baby let's get in the water" or something like that was the chorus. Sounds worse than it is. Like a modern pop song that sounds quite like One Republic to me mixed with classic U2. Edge repeats 'Red Flag day' on backing vocals that sounds very 80s era U2. It's like a mix of the old and new.

Ok so lot of questions! I'll do my best. Please note : I only got one listen of this album. And got to cheekily listen back to a few tracks I liked most. (Those being Love is all we have left, Red Flag Day and Summer of Love).

The lyrics are quite good overall. Can come across a bit cheesy here and there but I actually think Best Thing is the simplest song lyrically.

Summer of Love has a prominent pop guitar beat from Edge that isn't unlike an Artic Monkeys/Foster the people feel. The lyrics I can remember are "I've been thinking bout the west coast, not the one that everyone knows" that's essentially the lead into the chorus and it is VERY catchy. Even now some days after hearing this it is still in my head.

Red Flag Day was cheesy but really stood out as well. "Baby it's a red flag day baby let's get in the water" or something like that was the chorus. Sounds worse than it is. Like a modern pop song that sounds quite like One Republic to me mixed with classic U2. Edge repeats 'Red Flag day' on backing vocals that sounds very 80s era U2. It's like a mix of the old and new.

Thanks for sharing :up:

Why is Landlady the worst?

Also, how would you rank the ones we've heard with the rest of the album?

Maybe it will grow on me when the album comes out but all I can remember from Landlady is Bono singing about paying the rent or something mundane like that. It's a bit of a come down after such a good run of songs beforehand.

Here's my ranking on first listen : Love is all we have left - 9

Lights of Home - 7.5

Best thing - 7

Get Out of Your Own Way - 8.5

American Soul - 7.5

Summer of Love - 9

Red flag day - 9

The Showman - 7.5

Little things - 9

Landlandy - 4 :(

Blackout - 8.5

Love is bigger than anything in it's way - 6

13 (there is a light) - 6

(A 10 out of 10 for me would be the likes of One, With or without you , Streets fyi)

Maybe it will grow on me when the album comes out but all I can remember from Landlady is Bono singing about paying the rent or something mundane like that. It's a bit of a come down after such a good run of songs beforehand.

Here's my ranking on first listen : Love is all we have left - 9

Lights of Home - 7.5

Best thing - 7

Get Out of Your Own Way - 8.5

American Soul - 7.5

Summer of Love - 9

Red flag day - 9

The Showman - 7.5

Little things - 9

Landlandy - 4 :(

Blackout - 8.5

Love is bigger than anything in it's way - 6

13 (there is a light) - 6

(A 10 out of 10 for me would be the likes of One, With or without you , Streets fyi)

How is Bono’s singing overall? Has it been restrained like on the singles or does he belt it out?

Lots of good questions coming your way so far. I hope you can give us some good insight. And I want to thank you in advance for doing this. You will be busy. :)

1. Like Cosmo asked - Any you would consider classic U2 songs? I put EBW and RBW into that category.

2. How does 13 hold up? I'm not a fan of the chorus of SFS, so I'm worried about this.

Sucks to hear about Landlady. I was really interested by how it was described by Bono. Hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised.

3. Lights of Home - is the part with Haim good? Can you tell they used the sample bass part?? Is it more of rocking tune?

Again, thank you so much. i love to hear straight from fans.

1) Get Out of Your Own Way, Love is all we have left, Summer of Love, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are all classic in my nind.

2) 13 is a remix of Song for someone and in my mind that seems lazy. I just don't get it. It's not terrible. Very slow song, I get where they were going with it ending the album but for me the last song should have been Little things.

3) They use that Haim part prominently in Lights of Home. This one could grow on me. Has a great rocky beat to it. Only issue is it ends with Iris lyrics 'free yourself to be yourself' and again, maybe just being picky, but I don't get it. It cheapens the 'newness' of the song.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything... Noticed you gave it a 6. Is it maybe a grower or just not a very good song?

Yikes. Ranking the released songs in the 7-8 range knocks everything down a peg for me. Blackout within 1 of U2’s classics? Come on. Expectations are firmly modest for a variety of reasons.

Thing is are any of the songs gonna be played on the radio in years to come. Like one, beautiful day, with or without you ,pride etc

Vertigo is still played here a lot. It's definitely their last big hit.

You never hear anything from nloth or soi on the radio.

Will there be a track that lives forever basically

Yikes. Ranking the released songs in the 7-8 range knocks everything down a peg for me. Blackout within 1 of U2’s classics? Come on. Expectations are firmly modest for a variety of reasons.

As I mentioned yesterday I think any fan review right now or during the listening sessions will be biased positive because of the actual experience of listening to new u2 before the general public in a unique environment. I expect tons of fan reviews will be very positive. Which is understandable. To get a valid review to compare to their past work, the album has to age a while to see if it stands the test of time.

I personally hate the idea of rehashing old songs, and using samples. So American Soul, 13, and Lights Of Home will all be blemished for me no matter how much I may like the overall products. (Though I hate American Soul, but yeah).

Do You Feel Loved, for example, I like a lot, but I can't find myself comfortable with it because its main riff is from a song by someone else.

Subtle samples, like LNOE, don't bother me, in fact, I can't even tell what is sampled on LNOE. But large, prominent samples do bother me.

I've said this before, and members like Lazarus condescended me, but fuck 'em, my opinion, and I'm allowed to have my pet hates.

Last edited:
I don't know if any of y'all listen to the Game of Thrones podcast, A Cast of Kings, but there was an email once that described the show now as popcorn when it used to be steak.

That definitely rings true with me and U2's two most recent albums. U2 used to make steak, but now they make popcorn. Don't get me wrong, I love popcorn. But it's not very filling, nor memorable, and even the best popcorn is nothing to write home about.

I'm going to enjoy my bucket full of popcorn that will be SoE, but, unlike SoI, this time I'm going to have to not let myself get carried away with smothering it in steak sauce.

I personally hate the idea of rehashing old songs, and using samples. So American Soul, 13, and Lights Of Home will all be blemished for me no matter how much I may like the overall products. (Though I hate American Soul, but yeah).

Do You Feel Loved, for example, I like a lot, but I can't find myself comfortable with it because it's main riff is from a song by someone else.

I've said this before, and members like Lazarus condescended me, but fuck 'em, my opinion, and I'm allowed to have my pet hates.

I think you have to remember too, it was even stated on the press release for SOE, is that SOE & SOI are bookend albums. In ways this seems like a double album to some extent.

Overall it sounds like an interesting listen for a band 40 years in.

I don't like to compare u2 of old to u2 of new as it just ruins the experience for me. They may be the same band but at two very very different times in their career. I absolutely love u2 90's but to be honest if they still made the same music as in the 90's I might have been very bored by now. I like the popcorn anology, I enjoy popcorn very much but obviously not as much as steak but as long as I still enjoy it that's all fine by me. The quality may not be the same as before but if it's still enjoyable that's all that matters.

I'm not so sure he's referring to them as classics as in "best of all time U2 songs" but seems to me he is saying they may have that "classic" U2 sound, and they are really good. It's hard to put any new song into the classic category. songs usually take some time and digestion and reflection to then be put into that sort of level.

i could be wrong. To me, I'd say The Blackout has a classic 90's, darker U2 sound, but I wouldn't call it a classic, as in the best thing they've done. Although it is a great song.

If they would have released SOE in a shorter timeframe as a companion to SOI, the echoes would have made more sense. But 3 years later? Give us new material. A slow version of SFS when All My Life is still unreleased? :doh:

Back
Top Bottom