So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No idea that it would get such a makeover. I thought maybe they'd scrap the Viva La Vida thing and that would be about the only difference. This is a complete overhaul. I don't know that there's really anything about this version that trumps the first, though it is only a minute and a half long clip. It actually has more of a Bono solo-project type of feel. I couldn't tell you where any of the rest of the band is in this recording. And yes, the original did have that middle section that was a total 90's throwback and got my hopes up for the song if they ever finished it, but now that I've heard the clip, the hopes are greatly diminished. Again, I will have to hear it in its entirety to really get a feel for what's going on there.

i want to hear the whole song. I think it could be an excellent song in this new form, but I can't make up my mind until I hear it all. i feel like it could be a bit more haunting, and hopefully those strings towards the end of the song that we have are still in it and more prevalent in it. that was my wish all along.

Hmm, very interesting. I don't think I care for the vocal on this one from this clip, but I'm very curious to hear the whole thing.

Much, much, much, much better. I couldn't stand those strings.

Still shouldn't have been on the album, even if this is quite good. But I hope the "Dallas" riff is still in there, that's still the best part about the song.

I like the overall sound of this better, but Bono's voice still seems a little whiny. It would have been better if it was a more gentle and quiet vocal; it seems to loud and harsh for the music. It definitely sounds more finished and I hope the Viva La Vida part is gone, along with the toast lyric.

Lousy vocal, but the structure is a bit smoother. Eh, now it's mediocre in a different way.

I've listened a few times and I think its got a lot of potential. As long as it doesnt meander the same way through its entirety and builds a little, it could be a solid tune. I like the way it swells ever so slightly for the chorus. I also hope we still get the weird 'oooooh's at the end

Love the original...hopefully this version will grow on me. I only hope they keep the opera style singing at the end of the original version. The Viva La Vida part did annoy me at first but that was just Brian Eno doing his thing. The original first chorus sounds friggin' amazing so hopefully that's still in there too.

He found the perfect match for "like butter on toast" :love:

24, not makin' sense
I kept a diary
of my experience

Bono's rhythm sounds awfully plucky and awkward. Comparing the melodies, I wonder if this is how Radiohead fans felt hearing Videotape live then on the album.

It's ok, I kinda like it I guess. I do enjoy it more than the original though, which I feel is just god awful and annoying, so I'm happy to hear a different (and sufferable) version.

Hmm. I'm interested to hear the full version. I miss Edge's guitar on the original version, but it might appear later in the track. I don't have a problem with Bono's vocal take; it just sounds too loud in the mix for my taste. The new lyrics sound far better.

From what we've heard I really like the subtle instrumental mix in this new version, and there's parts of the vocal that blow the first one out of the water, but while I'm sure the strain is put-on I can hear the U2 haters in the mainstream saying Bono's lost it.

I like the prospect of the lyric being fixed :up:

--One big problem I have though is how similar the music from Winter was to Mercy, divisive though it may be I don't like the idea that they'll never finish it which could happen now with this being officially released.

I really like this clip much better than the Linear version. It's much more meditative and calming. Sort of what I imagine SoA would be like if they don't overwork it.

I think the clip picks up somewhere after the song has already begun. We may still get the intro. I just hope it doesnt sound like its done on a casio this time

Saw the movie and heard "Winter" the 2nd, and the old intro is gone. The new "Winter" is almost a completely different song when compared to the one from "Linear".

The lyrics and arrangement are much smoother sounding, and all of the rockier elements from the original version are gone. The "Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh" outro is still there, but Bono now sings "So glad you've come home" (or something to that effect) over it. The instrumental break that comes before the "At 21" line is gone, and it seems that some elements of it have survived by being incorporated into the transition between the chorus and the verse.

And, unfortunately, Bono's still like butter on toast.

No idea that it would get such a makeover. I thought maybe they'd scrap the Viva La Vida thing and that would be about the only difference. This is a complete overhaul. I don't know that there's really anything about this version that trumps the first, though it is only a minute and a half long clip. It actually has more of a Bono solo-project type of feel. I couldn't tell you where any of the rest of the band is in this recording. And yes, the original did have that middle section that was a total 90's throwback and got my hopes up for the song if they ever finished it, but now that I've heard the clip, the hopes are greatly diminished. Again, I will have to hear it in its entirety to really get a feel for what's going on there.
Exactly. I thought I liked "The Hands That Built America" when it came out, but -- like this -- I fear U2 has gotten formulaic even in their attempts to be serious; it just sounds very adult contemporary.

"Bad" was simple but so beautiful; the album version trumps any other. But this feels TOO TRADITIONAL; even the piano melody is too simple. U2 has forgotten how to create texture. "Running to Stand Still" could have been so basic, but there was so much to its texture and loud and soft that made it original. I would never have any problem with U2 returning to more Americana instruments of The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, but ATYCLB and HTDAAB weren't that, but much simpler arrangements and melodies. U2 seems to be unwilling to shift away from really driving the more obvious elements of a melody home and that's the real problem.

It's still too early, but I fear for "Winter".

Edit: Based on MeatAF10, I guess "Winter" is dead. How could they screw this up?! Maybe they'll redo this properly with Eno for the next album and this is just a version to suit the film. Doubtful, though.

Did you ever think maybe that's how they wanted it to sound? And how it sits well with Sheridan's film?

Actually I like it. I still love the original, but this is a different version and some bits of the song do project better. Now that the lyrics in the chorus are more inteligible, it's noticeable that they are actually beautiful.

It does seem as though this is the version Eno was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom