So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just listened to the bootleg version. Not too sure about Bono singing on the outro (don't think he adds much), but it's still gorgeous, very atmospheric Eno style. Basically they have re-orchestrated the outro to sound like the dallas clip.

format though - how do I convert and play this in mp3 ?

unfortunately, i dont think there is any free program that will do it. It is iTunes audio, so you can play it in iTunes.

PS, I love this, and I don't understand the dislike of the vocal, i think the vocal is truely amazing! B's purest effort since the live One form Modena

...The download limit has been reached for this file. Please contact the sender and ask them to resend the file.

:-(

Any other links to the complete new version anyone?

best regards

B's purest effort since the live One form Modena

hyperbole.png

did the u2.com "dallas clip" strings make it into this version? :ohmy:

I have to correct what I said before. I have actually just gone back to the dallas clip to listen to it again.

Actually, I have now realised that the opera voice in the Linear version of Winter sings a simplified and transposed version (in a different key) of the "dallas clip" melody.

So, yes, the new version's end section features that melody, with orchestra and some synths. It's been re-recorded in the right key and the chords underneath may have changed a bit, which gives it a different feel. It sounds as though it involves strings, the band and some eno-y lanoisy sounds, although I cannot hear (at least in this version) the beautiful ebow/theremin sound of the original "Dallas clip".

I don't like Bono singing "I'm glad you made it" over that part of the song, but it does not mar my enjoyment of the song that much, it's a really beautiful track in the spirit of NLOTH.

I still wish they would still release the original Dallas clip in good quality (maybe we'll have to wait for the NLOTH remaster in 20 years time, though....) or at least use it for a soundtrack!

I just listened to both versions a few times, and like both of them. I think I prefer the first version more, because the music has more of a U2 feel.

As far as Bono's singing, I can't figure out why some people are complaining about it. Bono may not be a perfect singer, but you can always tell that he truly puts his heart and soul into what he is singing. His style of singing is more about raw emotion, feeling, soul, etc., and I think the genuineness of the singing is better than just singing in perfect key.

I have to correct what I said before. I have actually just gone back to the dallas clip to listen to it again.

Actually, I have now realised that the opera voice in the Linear version of Winter sings a simplified and transposed version (in a different key) of the "dallas clip" melody.

So, yes, the new version's end section features that melody, with orchestra and some synths. It's been re-recorded in the right key and the chords underneath may have changed a bit, which gives it a different feel. It sounds as though it involves strings, the band and some eno-y lanoisy sounds, although I cannot hear (at least in this version) the beautiful ebow/theremin sound of the original "Dallas clip".

I don't like Bono singing "I'm glad you made it" over that part of the song, but it does not mar my enjoyment of the song that much, it's a really beautiful track in the spirit of NLOTH.

I still wish they would still release the original Dallas clip in good quality (maybe we'll have to wait for the NLOTH remaster in 20 years time, though....) or at least use it for a soundtrack!

Thank you, That Dallas theramin sound is one of the most beautiful pieces I heard from the sessions...

Is there a working link to the full demo version, the Scatter of Light one doesn't work any longer.

And I like the 90 second clip A LOT. I didn't like the original version from Linear so much and think it's much better now. I'm glad they threw out the Coldplay references and the Christmas jingles and I really like the lyrics, especially the "diary" part, also Bono's singing there. I'm not so happy with his scratchy vocals in the chorus, but apart from that, it's fine. A good song, better now, still not great.

Is there a working link to the full demo version, the Scatter of Light one doesn't work any longer.

I don't get it.:doh: Might you please just learn to read threads & postings? Thank you for your effort – and you will find, what you are looking for, too ...

If I hadn't had my coffee yet, I probably would have responded the same way you had. ;)

After hearing this new clip from the movie theater, I think I may have judged the initial clip too harshly. I still can't quite hear everything that's going on underneath the vocal, but I'm very curious to hear a good-quality version now.

After hearing this new clip from the movie theater, I think I may have judged the initial clip too harshly. I still can't quite hear everything that's going on underneath the vocal, but I'm very curious to hear a good-quality version now.
Yes, same with me ...

I like the new version a lot more. I like the fact that they stripped it back. The original was so U2ish it made me nauseous. This type of song is better as a quiet ballad than a fistpumping anthem. And Lord knows how sick i am of the fistpumping anthems. So, good, i'm glad they rerecorded it.

Well, for some the Linear version is too Coldplay-ish, for others is too U2-ish. Decide yourself.
For me is more U2-ish, reminiscent of some TUF landscapes.

Plus, I think this stripped-down soundtrack-appealing arrangement is more "anthemed" than the Linear version.

Back
Top Bottom