So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is the track available to buy yet?

Not yet that I know of.

This reminds me of when Pearl Jam covered "Love, Reign o'er Me" for the movie Reign Over Me a couple of years ago. It was a fairly popular track but it didn't appear on the soundtrack CD.

They eventually released it as a single on iTunes, so hopefully the same thing will happen with Winter.

However, "Don't Come Knocking" never got released. :(

"Don't come knocking" is a duet Bono did with Andrea Corr some years ago for the Wim Wenders movie with the same title.

Yeah, I just looked it up... I couldn't believe something U2 related slipped past my radar, but then I went to go listen to it on youtube and now I remember why I forgot about it...:lol:

The version in the movie with T-Bone Burnett's arrangement is better. It plays over the end credits.

I found the DVD at Big Lots! for $2.99. It's THAT good.

Actually is the version that plays over the credits a full version?

In that case I'll try to get myself that DVD!

I actually really like the song, despite the cheesiness of the original arrangement (never heard T-Bone Burnett's)

at 0:09, Bono clears his troath...

Recording FAIL

Don't be silly, there's a long tradition of intros where you hear the band just preparing to start the song and slowly get into it, including coughs, talk, etc....

Many Lanois productions have those type of intros (particularly in his Emmylou Harris production Wrecking ball or Bob Dylan's time out of mind).

at 0:09, Bono clears his troath...

Recording FAIL

That is not a fail at all, they've done that multiple times (like on TUF when Larry counts down too early and then goes "Oh shit, sorry" in the background). They may have added such things on purpose or perhaps it was a mistake that they just kept there, but artists and producers who works with these songs all day for a very long time aren't so dumb that they actually miss these kinds of things.

I like when they do this, I hate the "perfection" the music industry is striving for, where the vocals must be 100% perfect and the instrumental-parts are not to fail at any time. The mistake by Larry on TUF for example might be a bit silly for such a serious song but it gives it a raw, "live"-kind of feel.

Man, I miss the music industry of the '80s. :sad:

I didn't this thread (sorry) but I like the song very much, even if Bono's voice is a bit thin in the beginning. But:

1: isn't *this* the original version, and the Linear thing the makeover?
2: it sound so much like another song I've heard... but which one?

Back
Top Bottom