So Whats Wrong With NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
White as snow, MOS and Fez - BB are skip songs for me now. To be quite honest, the album bores me to tears now.

To me the biggest problem on this album is its promotion. It's one big fucking failure.

I don't know...playing Grammies/Brits/Echos and having a full week on Letterman seemed like promotion. I agree they aren't promoting the 2nd single (yet).

Then again in 2000 and 2004 people were saying "too much promotion". Now it's not enough. :shrug:

After another couple of weeks, a couple of the songs which really stood out at first are really losing there shine, mainly Magificent which I thought was one of the best songs they'd done in a while.

But after another couple of weeks there's nothing there. The song meanders along, it doesn't go up and it doesn't go down, the guitar solo is dull and uninspired instead of bringing the song to cresendo actually seems to slow it down, the verse guitar is the chugga-chugga stuff we've heard a million times, and it's problably the smuggest song Bono has ever written. All Because of You of which I thought the lyric and concept were the weakest links (the unrelease version wasn't a polished lyrically was had a better theme), handled the same subject matter far better and with a bit of a lighter touch.

They made some really strange decisions in this album. I absolutely adore Unknown Caller, love the intro, the verses, the chorus, the break before the solo and the solo itself but I'm not sure the structure they chose for the song is the best thing for it. It's a 6 minute song and there the vocals last 2 and a half minutes. The intro doesn't really work as well when you are listening to the album from start to finish.

As a bit of a diehard myself, or at least I really did used to be, on first listen I thought I'd have a really hard time loving this album. That hasn't turned out to be the case. I think that it's a real departure for U2 in terms of mood, song structure and in lots of other ways.
Other than SUC I really love all the other songs, and in Magnificent, MOS and Cedars they have songs that will probably always grace my U2 top 30 hits, maybe there will be others. Even Boots is now becoming a real favourite of mine, I really don't get why it is so universally hated.
NLOTH doesn't have many big radio friendly hits, but I thought that was something us U2 diehards wanted to get away from!! Instead we have a beautiful album full of slow burning growers(other than the obvious exception) that we'll probably always love.
I for one am extremely happy with it.

White as snow, MOS and Fez - BB are skip songs for me now. To be quite honest, the album bores me to tears now.

Yup. I skip Fez-BB, Unknown Caller, Snow, and Cedars.

I never skip any on Achtung Baby.

Yup. I skip Fez-BB, Unknown Caller, Snow, and Cedars.

I never skip any on Achtung Baby.
LOL - as if AB is the be all and end all

I skip most on AB nowadays, perhaps only listening to a couple of songs that I'm in the mood for at any given time.

AB's tracks are better live, I like listening to the odd old Zoo TV bootleg now and again.

I don't know...playing Grammies/Brits/Echos and having a full week on Letterman seemed like promotion. I agree they aren't promoting the 2nd single (yet).

Then again in 2000 and 2004 people were saying "too much promotion". Now it's not enough. :shrug:

They did, but Boots and Magnificent aren't promoted at all. Boots didn't even have a video until it started falling off the charts again!

Now the album is out there's no promotion at all! Too much promotion is bad, but you could at least promote your album! And release a next single WITHIN 2 months after releasing the album.

I really don't know how people go from this:

Magificent which I thought was one of the best songs they'd done in a while.

To this:

But after another couple of weeks there's nothing there. The song meanders along, it doesn't go up and it doesn't go down, the guitar solo is dull and uninspired instead of bringing the song to cresendo actually seems to slow it down, the verse guitar is the chugga-chugga stuff we've heard a million times, and it's problably the smuggest song Bono has ever written.

I mean to each their own, I know music is subjective. But I just don't get how you go from "best in awhile" to "uninspired". I think one of the brilliant things about this song is how the pace of the solo and the driving rhythm seem to be at odds... The smug thing is just a shame that some people will see it that way...

for those of you who don't like the promotion, i must ask one question. do you really truly care how well the album sells?

personally, i would have cared if this was their 3rd or 4th album, but U2 can sell millions and millions of albums on their name alone. it's so obvious that their definition of "success" has changed this time around.....and for the better.

I really don't know how people go from this:

To this:

I mean to each their own, I know music is subjective. But I just don't get how you go from "best in awhile" to "uninspired". I think one of the brilliant things about this song is how the pace of the solo and the driving rhythm seem to be at odds... The smug thing is just a shame that some people will see it that way...

Honestly I think my initial reaction was nostalgia, the chorus is great as its the main guitar figure is excellent, but it's all gloss; gloss which is reflective of past glories. The lyrics are amazingly smug and the song doesn't go anywhere, there's no build up or pay off to it. The propulsing beat it reaches after the intro is it, the rest of the song is amazingly even keeled. The solo is uninspired, it's a generic Edge slide solo of the type he seems to throw into every song when nowadays when there's a break in the lyrics. The magificent solo is essentially a less complex version of the holy joe solo.

Honestly I think my initial reaction was nostalgia, the chorus is great as its the main guitar figure is excellent, but it's all gloss; gloss which is reflective of past glories. The lyrics are amazingly smug and the song doesn't go anywhere, there's no build up or pay off to it. The propulsing beat it reaches after the intro is it, the rest of the song is amazingly even keeled. The solo is uninspired, it's a generic Edge slide solo of the type he seems to throw into every song when nowadays when there's a break in the lyrics. The magificent solo is essentially a less complex version of the holy joe solo.

what's so smug about it? are you taking the lyrics at the surface?

They did, but Boots and Magnificent aren't promoted at all. Boots didn't even have a video until it started falling off the charts again!

Now the album is out there's no promotion at all! Too much promotion is bad, but you could at least promote your album! And release a next single WITHIN 2 months after releasing the album.

True, they were late on the video for these singles. Then again, do videos really matter in the age of downloads and Youtube/MySpace ... ?

Maybe in keeping with the spirit of "we're making an album this time" attitude they refuse to give too much attention to any given single.

what's so smug about it? are you taking the lyrics at the surface?

What depth is there?

Bono proclaiming his love for God and how he was born to sing for him? Please. Rock star thanks God for voice. All because of You (of all songs) covered the same ground better with more wit and subtlety (and all because of you isn't a subtle song).

What depth is there?

Bono proclaiming his love for God and how he was born to sing for him? Please. Rock star thanks God for voice. All because of You (of all songs) covered the same ground better with more wit and subtlety (and all because of you isn't a subtle song).

I like All Because of You. I agree, they have the same subject matter.
In regards to Magnificent, is it smug for someone to profess their love for God and motivations for doing what they do? It's found throughout the entire old Testament and is not exactly a new idea. If you doubt his motivations, then I guess you could see it as being smug. I do not see how straight-forward sincerity is the new smug. Magnificent is not my favorite song on the album. I like it and I like the straight-forwardness of the lyrics. What advantage at this time and place in the world is there to speaking in code? That's been done and it had it's time, but why not try a new approach? Magnificent along with other songs this decade, feels this approach is the best policy at this time. If you want smug, then I would say search somewhere else.

I would also argue that the subject in Magnificent is not even about Bono. I think Bono is in "character" in this song. Only love can leave such a mark, only love can heal such a scar.

So, I can see this song two ways.

What depth is there?

Bono proclaiming his love for God and how he was born to sing for him? Please. Rock star thanks God for voice.

I never saw it as a "thank you for this", but rather about the concept that we're all born to do certain things within God's kingdom, now if you believe that or not isn't the question, but to me this is what this song sounds like to me.

I see Magnificent as part 2 of ABOY, just lyrically speaking.

ABOY is saying you made me.

Magnificent is saying now I'm using who you made to lift you up...:shrug:

I never saw it as a "thank you for this", but rather about the concept that we're all born to do certain things within God's kingdom, now if you believe that or not isn't the question, but to me this is what this song sounds like to me.

I see Magnificent as part 2 of ABOY, just lyrically speaking.

ABOY is saying you made me.

Magnificent is saying now I'm using who you made to lift you up...:shrug:

Or what if it is from the point of view of Jesus singing to us?...you and I will magnify, the magnificent.

Just a different take.

True, they were late on the video for these singles. Then again, do videos really matter in the age of downloads and Youtube/MySpace ... ?

Videos are more important than ever in the age of youtube, more people probably watch music videos on youtube than hear the songs on radio

Maybe in keeping with the spirit of "we're making an album this time" attitude they refuse to give too much attention to any given single.

It does matter. Well at least in my country there's still a channel that actually plays music videos(no, not MTV). And kids these days watch that, they hear a tune they like, they download it. And what's on youtube/myspace? LOTS of music videos!

I'm not saying I care a lot about charts and such, I don't. But it would be nice y'know, if they'd top the charts. To show they can still do it. To punch a big fist in the air against the shit that's on the radio nowadays!

I thought they did that with BD and Vertigo. Show that they can still be up there on the charts.
I also think that they're a bit old for the MySpace/Youtube generation...sure lots of videos but probably the most watched ones aren't by 50-ish old guys.

Maybe word of mouth and radio airplay can help Magnificent...definitely getting more radio time than Boots here.

After another couple of weeks, a couple of the songs which really stood out at first are really losing there shine, mainly Magificent which I thought was one of the best songs they'd done in a while.

But after another couple of weeks there's nothing there. The song meanders along, it doesn't go up and it doesn't go down, the guitar solo is dull and uninspired instead of bringing the song to cresendo actually seems to slow it down, the verse guitar is the chugga-chugga stuff we've heard a million times, and it's problably the smuggest song Bono has ever written. All Because of You of which I thought the lyric and concept were the weakest links (the unrelease version wasn't a polished lyrically was had a better theme), handled the same subject matter far better and with a bit of a lighter touch.

They made some really strange decisions in this album. I absolutely adore Unknown Caller, love the intro, the verses, the chorus, the break before the solo and the solo itself but I'm not sure the structure they chose for the song is the best thing for it. It's a 6 minute song and there the vocals last 2 and a half minutes. The intro doesn't really work as well when you are listening to the album from start to finish.

I think Magnificent is one of their best songs this decade.

I think Edge's solo is hands down the greatest moment of this decade, it's Edge doing what he does best, and that is create a majestic soundscape that has more to do with beauty than mechanics or jsut plain old getting down and dirty. That moment when Bono's falsetto morphs into Edge's slide guitar is one of the moments on the album that gives me chills each time. I think overall the song could've been produced better, and that sucks because it really is a great song, it's just another casualty of the loudness war. If it was produced with care, where every part has a chance to breathe, it would've been the greatest song of theirs this decade, because i feel the song is that good. I don't mind the straightfoward lyrics, i think it suits the music perfectly, and best of all there's no cringeworthy lyrics ala "intellectual tortoise".

Ah yes I see what you're saying, probably better not to listen to/read Bono explanations. :hmm::yes: I'm sure you're right.

You never had your hairdresser on fire when they are working on you? (remember he IS gay!) Like, you know, on fire with creativity? Oh hell I dunno, it's years since I listened to THAT song.

He probably never had a girlfriend in a coma either. Just a very cute sense of humour. :sexywink:

Funny and tragic at the same time.

I am a long time Smiths/Morrissey fan as well as a U2 fanatic. This debate/argument, if that is what it is, can have no right or wrong. It is a bit silly to compare Bono and Morrissey lyrically. Bono is much more metaphorical and ambiguous in his emotional imagery. His lyrics, when they stray from his core themes of love and human rights, can generally be interpreted to suit whatever purpose someone wants them to. I don't mean that in a negative way. There is real brilliance in writing lyrics that convey specific thoughts or concepts but are also open to other interpretations.

Morrissey is a much more concrete and humorous lyricist, but is able to do so in an emotionally stirring manner. Much of what he writes and sings is to be interpreted with tongue firmly in cheek. His lyrics are also much more pop-culture and literary oriented and autobiographical. Also realize that many of his references are anglo-centric and well known in Great Britain and beyond, such as the above-mentioned Hairdresser on Fire (great song, by the way). Some of his most popular album titles and songs are basically words out of a foreign language to those not familiar with his world, which is heavy on the double entendre (Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, Bengali in Platforms, Alsatian Cousin, etc.).

That said, Bono and Morrissey have quite a bit in common. They were born in 1959 and 1960, both in the UK (Morrissey is actually of Irish descent) and grew up in working class families in hardscrabble parts of Dublin and Manchester. Both had somewhat difficult relationships with sometimes emotionally unavailable fathers and found refuge in music and performing. Both hit it big with their bands at almost the same time in the early 80s and immediately became pop idols. Both quickly realized that they had found their true niche in life in performing on stage those songs they had so brilliantly penned. I have long wondered what the legacy of the Smiths might have been had they stayed together for another 10 or 15 years or more. Surely they would be up there in the pantheon of all-time bands.

That was because the video wasn't finished, and us impetuous and selfish fans hounded them until they released it. They probably would have held off until the video was done otherwise

That was because the video wasn't finished, and us impetuous and selfish fans hounded them until they released it. They probably would have held off until the video was done otherwise

Well there lies exactly my problem! WHY wasn't it finished when it was supposed to be finished? It should've been released closely to the first radio play of the song. But it kept being delayed and delayed. That's killing your own marketing!

Well there lies exactly my problem! WHY wasn't it finished when it was supposed to be finished? It should've been released closely to the first radio play of the song. But it kept being delayed and delayed. That's killing your own marketing!

No, thats what I mean. The radio date was brought forward because of the fans complaining, probably before they were ready for anyting, but they decided above all it was best to have the music available

Sorry to hear that you think certain songs aren't as good as you first thought.

It's very easy for people to criticise various songs or the whole album, but maybe we are looking into it too much and overevaluating things. It could be that I am not a musician, sound engineer, producer etc, that I do not look at certain details in the same way such as song stucture, lyrical development etc.

Either you like the album or you don't. Otherwise you will be picking out the imperfections and looking for the faults all the time. The more you listen to the album the more your initial reaction and feelings will change and you might get bored of certain songs or not care for them as much.

It could be that music isn't my profession or maybe that I don't take it as seriously as other fans, that I am not as critical about the music and lyrics, but I really don't see what is positive about picking out the problems in the album or where the different band members went wrong, as this will not change anything, the album is recorded and that's it.

How come no one bashes PJ for never coming up with any new sounds? Good songs are enough for PJ, I'm always curious why they aren't enough for some U2 fans...

Pearl Jame has never changed their sound? They have, listen to 10 and then listen to Yield they are worlds apart. If they had never changed their sound their new material would sound like TEN the so called grunge generation. No Code - which is perhaps their most experimental album sounds nowhere near to their earlier stuff. Anyway, why are we talking about Pearl Jam and their fans? :huh: They have nothing to do with U2's new album -- which by the way I still cannot get into aside from the song "No Line on the Horizon."

Back
Top Bottom