Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album is great, loving it. But THIS song...is PERFECT. As mentioned earlier, it's all the amazing things U2 is capable of (as in much of the 90's) when they do it right.

A whole album like this and I could die happily at any point.

The album is great, loving it. But THIS song...is PERFECT. As mentioned earlier, it's all the amazing things U2 is capable of (as in much of the 90's) when they do it right.

A whole album like this and I could die happily at any point.

Well, don't go dying anytime soon. :wink:
Songs of Experience is right around the corner (I believe). One does not go online and make such a claim on their official site within hours of SoI's release. :hyper:

The best part of this album is that I'm noticing little nuggets of lyric, or synth, or guitar parts in different sections of songs. They continue to change with every repeat, ala AB.

On HTDAAB or NLOTH every good part was thrown to the front of the mix, like "Hey, check this fucking shit out... we still got it!" On this record, everything is mature and subtle and given its space to breath.

Production gets 10/10 on this record. Even something this small: listen to Larry's drum sound in the outro of this song. So crisp, so much dimension... Yet so calm and cool.

Last edited:
Just had a listen to this song on good headphones and damn, cemented it as a top 3 song for me.

I can't be bothered reading this whole thread, but I hope I'm not the only person who thinks Bono needs to stop embarrassing himself with feeble falsetto attempts. This song would be better without the falsetto.

Beautiful. Many people have pointed out already how exceptional the dirty guitar is, and I just find the rich texture of the song very inspiring. It is like three songs in one. Love Bono's falsetto. ☺️

Beautiful. Many people have pointed out already how exceptional the dirty guitar is, and I just find the rich texture of the song very inspiring. It is like three songs in one. Love Bono's falsetto. ☺️

Truly haunting song. And his lyric is stunning:

"Dreams,
It’s a dirty business, dreaming
Where there is silence and not screaming"

I CANT stop listening to this one!

It's may favourite track on the new album. I would give it a 10 out of 10.

Dark, mysterious, AB-y - and LOVE the guitar on this one!!

Thanks U2!!!!

Truly haunting song. And his lyric is stunning:

"Dreams,
It’s a dirty business, dreaming
Where there is silence and not screaming"

This is the first track I listened back to back the first time I heard it. :drool:

I've always been a fan of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" and this song gives out a similar vibe. Really like it, and that glockenspiel at the end just seals the deal.

Obviously, the content isn't nearly as sexy as IYWTVD . . . I like the darker lyrics, though. Bono is spectacular throughout this album.

I can't be bothered reading this whole thread, but I hope I'm not the only person who thinks Bono needs to stop embarrassing himself with feeble falsetto attempts. This song would be better without the falsetto.

Like the song a lot, don't like the falsetto either

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This track is the one that brought me over to liking this album. POP is the album that made me like U2 and this one feels like it could easily be Track 9ish in that record.

I can even imagine Macphisto signing it (yes, I'm aware that was before POP). The U2 magic is right there in this one.

This track is the one that brought me over to liking this album. POP is the album that made me like U2 and this one feels like it could easily be Track 9ish in that record.

I can even imagine Macphisto signing it (yes, I'm aware that was before POP). The U2 magic is right there in this one.

:up:

Was thinking exactly the same thing that a character like Macphisto should sing this one, would definitely fit his vibe. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm admittedly not giving this song enough attention. There's a lot of love to go around.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love the falsetto. It's not about it being perfect. That's what broadway singers do. It's about it adding color and texture to the lyrics. Bono's got so many voices on this record, and he uses them all so well. I love the fact that you can hear his deep breath intake during this.

I love the falsetto. It's not about it being perfect. That's what broadway singers do. It's about it adding color and texture to the lyrics. Bono's got so many voices on this record, and he uses them all so well. I love the fact that you can hear his deep breath intake during this.

:up:

Yeah, the imperfection gives it character. And this song has sex appeal.

If I had to compare this to songs on Ghost Stories, that a lot of people seem to be doing, I would call it this albums 'True Love/Midnight'.

And that's why I avoided scrutinising the falsetto when doing my rankings, as we don't have an idea of what it would sound like live. (My rankings had a strong bias towards which ones I think would sound the best live, allowing for reworkings. I think I've done a reasonable job, so far.)

This song made me think of Snow Patrol. You would think this would be a soothing song based on the title, but the way Bono sings "You're gonna sleeeep like a baby tonight," sounds sneering and mocking instead of calming. It's as if he's talking to someone whose conscience should be bothering them, but isn't. This is definitely a good one.

I think the falsetto bit works really well in the song - any more falsetto would have been too much, but just those few little lines fits right in to the mood.

And I like the little glockenspiel bit underneath the gritty guitar sound.

This is just great.

I really love the bells. Are those bells near the end? Or chimes? What the fuck are those?! I HAVE TO KNOW.

If you like those, you should check out DM's "Rome" album. The whole this is filled with lush details like that.

Back
Top Bottom