Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the meaning? I'm confused. Somehow it's about the church, but on the other hand it sounds like some drug theme. I like the vagueness and the eerie atmosphere which gives me a certain sense of discomfort, but in a good way. There's something disturbing in the very calm and almost soothing vocal delivery of the song, especially the chorus. Certainly a type of song I wouldn't have expected from U2.

Edit: I'm actually not sure anymore but here's something:

U2's Songs Of Innocence: First Review! | MOJO

Scroll down & you'll find it...

Oh, I had the impression it might have something to do with that, it's a very sensitive topic, IF true, and Bono took to it in a very poetic and quite vague way.

Man, when Edge breaks through with that first super crunchy guitar is immense. I freaking love this tune... one of the standouts on the album for me.

Love the falsetto, the slightly grimy yet dreamy 80s feel with an incongruous glockenspiel... deserves many more listens.

This song is like the band just taking you on a trip. :love::love:
So amazing. The fat lady voice falsetto finally making an appearance again,
bringing you right back into the 90's.

Love the synths, love che chiming guitarwork. The producers are really pleasing me on this album.

The fat lady voice falsetto finally making an appearance again,
bringing you right back into the 90's.

It's a much weaker falsetto than the fat lady one. Really not that similar.

But I like the song and feel it's the second best after The Troubles.

I'm not sure if there are any Garbage fans in here, but I'd LOVE to hear a duet version with Shirley Manson. I'm getting a very Garbage vibe here. I love it. Maybe my second favorite on the album.

"Tomorrow dawns like a suicide
But you’re gonna sleep like a baby tonight" - that is some heavy shite!

lyricals A+ on this song

Man, when Edge breaks through with that first super crunchy guitar is immense. I freaking love this tune... one of the standouts on the album for me.

Oh god that chunk guitar riff gave me goosebumps. :drool:

Actually in the book in the credits under Sleep like a baby it says "additional guitar by bono".

I wonder if that's his playing in the outro.......

It's not that complex of a guitar part and sounds more like his style than the Edge's.

This song right here is why I'm loving the album, true grower, instead of growing bored I'm becoming more interested. Quite a few songs like that on this album, almost comparable to AB. Hope that feeling is there in a month or yrs time, have a feeling it will be.

I'm not sure if there are any Garbage fans in here, but I'd LOVE to hear a duet version with Shirley Manson. I'm getting a very Garbage vibe here. I love it. Maybe my second favorite on the album.

Parts of the song remind me a bit of The Trick Is To Keep Breathing.

Solo Live

Let me be the first to predict that Edge will have a longer solo Live a la Love Is Blindness (maybe not that long but...)

I'll be very surprised if this makes the live show. Figure only 7-8 new songs are going to be in the regular rotation, and this one might be too atmospheric and downbeat in the live setting.

Personally, I think this one is all about the production, and don't think it will translate well anyway.

It's a much weaker falsetto than the fat lady one. Really not that similar.

But I like the song and feel it's the second best after The Troubles.

Sure , I agree! But I also don't expect his falsetto to be as strong as it was back then. (That voice was mindblowing)
But it still reminds me of it. :shrug:

I also agree that this is probably not going to work in a live setting, even though its such a little gem.
I do hope otherwise..

Let me be the first to predict that Edge will have a longer solo Live a la Love Is Blindness (maybe not that long but...)

I really hope so, I wish they'd have done something similar with Cedars though. I thought they might when NLOTH was first released. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Love it

It's may favourite track on the new album. I would give it a 10 out of 10.

Dark, mysterious, AB-y - and LOVE the guitar on this one!!

Thanks U2!!!!

It's may favourite track on the new album. I would give it a 10 out of 10.

Dark, mysterious, AB-y - and LOVE the guitar on this one!!

Thanks U2!!!!

From my prior listening's, it didn't precisely achieve what it set out to, on record. Rather, it's one of the songs that will so obviously translate well into live performances.

I think this is warm enough to work in a live setting. The slow tense start and the guitar kick in at about 1:30... and you can imagine Bono's delivery of "It's a dirty business dreaming." It's just going to get more menacing live, especially that solo. And I don't think the falsetto is meant to sound like his early 90s falsetto in any case, so it's not a case of 'not as good'. It has a specific purpose and it's not at all related to the soul-sound of the Fat Lady.

Back
Top Bottom