Singles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
A single is usually released before a U2 album, but in this case it hasn't happened.

This leads me to ask - will there be any singles from this album?

The old fashion singles are dead for this album i think. I cant see any singles being released to buy as the album is free

The Miracle is the first single. I would expect to see a video soon. Then, hopefully Every Breaking Wave will be the second single. If that's not a hit, then U2 will never be allowed to have a hit ever again.

The Miracle is the first single. I would expect to see a video soon. Then, hopefully Every Breaking Wave will be the second single. If that's not a hit, then U2 will never be allowed to have a hit ever again.

They aint really gonna be singles though are they? The songs wont be onsale to buy. I supose they will be released to radio and the tv channels but wont chart on the single charts.

These songs will be an advert for the album

Yeah...I don't expect to see "singles" or videos until we get closer to the release date of the actual album. Videos are simply promotional tools designed to sell the record (and individual tracks)...right now there's nothing to sell. That's also why you haven't seen U2 do any major TV appearances together, promo shows, etc. Why do all that when you don't have anything to sell?

They, and their label, still want to move the CD and vinyl off the shelves and chart it.

They aint really gonna be singles though are they? The songs wont be onsale to buy. I supose they will be released to radio and the tv channels but wont chart on the single charts.

Well, they won't sell CD singles, in the States at least. But they will push them to radio and make videos. They may even have digital singles with B-sides.

I'd love them to at least release them as vinyl.

Once the album is released on the 14th, I would bet they would push EBW, hopefully. People could buy the single (song) online, or the whole album at that point. I just hope they really push the hell out of it to radio. I really think it has great crossover potential for rock, adult cont., and alternative radio.

Then follow that up with California and call it a day.

Yeah...I don't expect to see "singles" or videos until we get closer to the release date of the actual album. Videos are simply promotional tools designed to sell the record (and individual tracks)...right now there's nothing to sell. That's also why you haven't seen U2 do any major TV appearances together, promo shows, etc. Why do all that when you don't have anything to sell?

They, and their label, still want to move the CD and vinyl off the shelves and chart it.

I've been thinking about this. It's all very new and sort of strange. Uncharted territory really for anyone.

I was thinking that even if they did SNL or Letterman right before the physical release, then people will just go get it for free.
So it does seem that all promo would need to be post October 14th.
Would be cool to see them on SNL, the following Saturday.

Given the producers and the sound , this is a radio U2 album if there ever was one.

While EBW will no doubt get around as a single, I'd take Volcano, California and This is where you can reach me now as singles.

Once the album is released on the 14th, I would bet they would push EBW, hopefully. People could buy the single (song) online, or the whole album at that point. I just hope they really push the hell out of it to radio. I really think it has great crossover potential for rock, adult cont., and alternative radio.

Then follow that up with California and call it a day.

:up::up::up:

EBW is the 2nd single. I really want Reach Around to be the 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So I see California will be this album's Magnificent... the song everyone here thinks will be such a huge smash that goes nowhere

Yeah.

I'm actually really digging Miracle (is that the "single"?). I wasn't sold on it as first, mainly I think just b/c the first impression wasn't good based on their performance at the Keynote. But I was driving around today with the top down with that thing cranked up...and damn, the song feels good.

So I see California will be this album's Magnificent... the song everyone here thinks will be such a huge smash that goes nowhere
Funny: that's exactly what I was thinking... except for EBW. Like Magnificent (and The Miracle) it is way too much U2 by numbers. California and Iris on the other hand are much more different from what they usually make, much more modern while still having great appeal. EBW is a great song but I really hope they will stop to play it safe with their singles because exactly like Magnificent has shown I expect it to be the worst possible decision from a commercial standpoint. You can't be relevant if you don't give people new things and something really new and fresh that's exactly what California is. EBW... not so much. Even SFS would be better than EBW as a single imo but I would love to be proven wrong.

I can't think of one song that sounds like California, so I'm not sure how it's U2 by the numbers.

I can't think of one song that sounds like California, so I'm not sure how it's U2 by the numbers.

That's my point exactly. I was saying EBW is U2 by numbers not California. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. As a result I think it's normal for us U2 fans to like this song but for the rest of the world it would just be another typical U2 song, another magnificent and that wouldn't get much attention because of that.

Well it's hardly a copycat... And not a U2 song. Personnally California reminds me more of Dakota from Stereophonics for some reason... Whatever Katy Perry is the definition of relevant nowadays like it or not so that just proves that California could have a huge potential.

Well it's hardly a copycat... And not a U2 song. Personnally California reminds me more of Dakota from Stereophonics for some reason... Whatever Katy Perry is the definition of relevant nowadays like it or not so that just proves that California could have a huge potential.

There are worse things in popular music than Katy Perry.

But U2 is supposed to be better than that.

California is not good enough to be a single and it doesn't hold a candle to Magnificent. Magnificent was by far the best song on NLOTH (sorry MOS lovers) but it was doomed by bad lyrics. "I was born to sing for you, I didn't have a choice to lift you up..." Please.... There are too many Bono haters out there to let those lines slide but that song had great Edge guitar work.

Agree on EBW but I would like to see them go with Raised by Wolves or Cedarwood Road for 3rd single. Not feeling Volcano as a single.

I'm not sure that any U2 song can be a hit anymore, but California is a much better song than the snoozefest that is Magnificent.

Funny: that's exactly what I was thinking... except for EBW. Like Magnificent (and The Miracle) it is way too much U2 by numbers. California and Iris on the other hand are much more different from what they usually make, much more modern while still having great appeal. EBW is a great song but I really hope they will stop to play it safe with their singles because exactly like Magnificent has shown I expect it to be the worst possible decision from a commercial standpoint. You can't be relevant if you don't give people new things and something really new and fresh that's exactly what California is. EBW... not so much. Even SFS would be better than EBW as a single imo but I would love to be proven wrong.

I gotta disagree. The public wants the U2 they know. They just want it done well, and EBW has that in spades. It's a beautiful song, and I think could really connect.
I love California, but it is true that it could be a bust. But then again, airplay wise, it's going to be extremely tough for them to break through again.

I do think Volcano could kill at alternative/modern rock formats, but not really a crossover.

SFS could do ok at adult contemporary, but i think its the worst song on the album

Anyone else think one of the new songs on the physical release will be the next single?

While EBW will no doubt get around as a single, I'd take Volcano, California and This is where you can reach me now as singles.

My sentiments exactly.

EBW is the 2nd single. I really want Reach Around to be the 3rd.

I really hate when bands release the first two songs on the album consecutively as singles. Really lame.

All of this.

And this.

I'm not sure that any U2 song can be a hit anymore, but California is a much better song than the snoozefest that is Magnificent.

I think with the right timing and song, they sure could. They're a unique band in a unique position.

And yeah, California has a lot more energy than Magnificent. It's tailor-made to be on the radio and it definitely belongs on there.

Anyone else think one of the new songs on the physical release will be the next single?

Why the hell would they do that? If a song was good enough to be single #2 it would have made the album.

Back
Top Bottom