Should U2 release a ballad as the first single off the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I've now been informed by LemonMelon that U2DMFan thinks that "The informed among us" means...

I can speak for myself.

You have a bad habit of doing this shit, don't you? You've done this to me twice that I can remember and the other time might have been the only time you've ever responded to me. I don't forget people putting words into my mouth, it's a big pet peeve of mine...I definitely never called you or anyone else a name like "schlub" either. That's fallacious strawman bullshit anyway, even if you had understood me correctly.

Get that? He misunderstood me and still managed to be logically fallacious.

Please, explain. I shall enjoy this.

I was talking about informed people understanding what I meant by MOR.
Just exactly like it reads...try to read this again.

Sorry for my overuse of "MOR", I just can't be bothered to go into more specific explanation. The informed among us know what I mean.

Talk about an overreaction. Which would be fine otherwise but putting fucking words in my mouth (for the second time) pisses me off. And you didn't even wait for me to respond and simply say 'relax, this is what I meant'. It was in direct relation to my using the term MOR several times in both posts.

Furthermore, I am talking about MOR in relation to Elevation.
Agree or disagree that it's a shitty song, "the informed among us kknow what I mean" when I call it MOR. Got it? I fucking hope so.

I have stepped into a strange thread in which the clearest way to become relevant again is apparently by mimicking things done by Duran Duran and Sting.

No.

You say so.

Do you actually do that in person? Talk about a song you dislike? With a person who likes said song?

And say "Hey Joe, you dig that tune? You're uninformed for liking that. If you knew what I know, you wouldn't dig that. I KNOW MUSIC."

You pull that off live? You actually call people whole like records you don't like "uninformed?"

You don't fall back on "different strokes for different folks", you actually call them uninformed? They're somehow stupid for liking a song you don't like?

Never seen snobby music fans before ? Why should U2 fans be any different ?

Not sure how many of the songs people have listed are actually ballads, ballad doesn't just mean that a song has a slower tempo.

Not sure how many of the songs people have listed are actually ballads, ballad doesn't just mean that a song has a slower tempo.

I suppose it's worth looking up as a result...

Per Merriam-Webster:
Definition of BALLAD
1 a narrative composition in rhythmic verse suitable for singing, an art song accompanying a traditional ballad
2 a simple song : air
3 a popular song; especially : a slow romantic or sentimental song

Per Dictionary.com:
bal·lad - noun
1. any light, simple song, especially one of sentimental or romantic character, having two or more stanzas all sung to the same melody.
2. a simple narrative poem of folk origin, composed in short stanzas and adapted for singing.
3. any poem written in similar style.
4. the music for a ballad.
5. a sentimental or romantic popular song.

I'll play the cliche game and say pot kettle.

U2 have generally done ballads very competently. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about POWER ballads. My biggest fear is that U2 will spend their twilight years going down the Aerosmith Don't Wanna Miss A Thang route, in a last desperate stab for a hit and relevancy (NS was a step in that direction). Were that to happen, I'd probably rip up my fan card. :huh:

U2 have generally done ballads very competently. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about POWER ballads. My biggest fear is that U2 will spend their twilight years going down the Aerosmith Don't Wanna Miss A Thang route, in a last desperate stab for a hit and relevancy (NS was a step in that direction). Were that to happen, I'd probably rip up my fan card. :huh:

I hear ya, brother, but my fan card is solid metal.

photo_zps7c21481a.jpg

:D

Thankfully North Star is likely dead and buried.

This one goes out to our friends in Russia..

They're suffering..Suffering in the cold. There was a light in the sky, then the wind blew their windows blew out.

That's beautiful Edge..keep playing that.....

There's a town in Russia called Chelyabinsk. It streaked through the sky so fast, so fast and it was gone. It was like a bright north star..

This song is called North Star

oooooh oooh oooh

Bono+on+Tour.jpg

A man dreams one day to fly
301491-armageddon-1998.jpg

A man takes a rocket ship up to the sky

stormare_armageddon.jpeg

He lives on a star that's dying in the night

images

And follows in a trail scatter of light

Armageddon-3.jpg

Mr. Harry Stamper, thank you.

images

Aerosmith also had to collaborate with Diane Warren to come up with that nugget, so I'm not too sure U2 would end up resorting to her at the moment. Not that they're above collaborating with someone like Eno every so often, but it definitely wouldn't be in the form of that type of songwriter.

North Star is fine too. It's hard to put the final verdict on it without a studio version on hand, but it's definitely not in that league either.

Back
Top Bottom