Should the band be on the new album cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the band be on the album cover?

• Yes

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 38 39.6%

• Total voters
Something swirling with colours, and also something creative, like a fluro album cover that can glow in the dark.

I reckon we should try to design our own little album covers to compare what we want. :D

No, please no more pictures in a picture kind of album covers, they are confusing as hell, I don't want a visual overload, I want something simple and atmospheric. Black and white would be great, but a few colours would also do. And I'm all for a band-less cover.

I'd prefer no band. But it doesn't matter, really, as long as it's a good cover!

But I would like someone like Stefan Sagmeister to design it this time. He's done some very interesting work before with some artists... :hmm:

Yeah, it'd be nice if the band themselves weren't on the cover this time.

I don't think it's necessary and, honestly, it sort of feels like a lazy move to put a picture of your band on the cover. There is SO much more you can do with it.

It's like saying "Here we are...see? See what we look like? We have faces. NOW BUY THE DAMN ALBUM!"

One example that springs to mind is R.E.M. They went through 20 years of a career without once putting an image of their band on the cover. They put out some really cool, artsy album art in that period. Then they decide to put themselves on the cover and BAM...guess what? It was the shittiest album of their career by far.

I actually like this smiley :huh:.

I think it sums up a lot of emotions and fits perfectly to some people's comments on here.

Around The Sun isn't even the fifth worst R.E.M. album. You are wrong.

Well, to each their own. After all, everybody here comes from somewhere...

Good luck getting that out of your head for the next week. MU HA HA HA! :drool:

If the album is in fact called NLOTH I'd like to see a homage to the Unforgettable Fire cover - a B&W shot of some misty Irish horizon, with the band present but barely visible. Possibly even with a bold colour (purple/blue) border and gold writing :love:

I don't really care. U2's made amazing albums with (JT, Pop) and without (TUF, Achtung, Zooropa) the band on it, so I'm not sure it really matters.

I will say, though, that my two of my three least favorite U2 albums (Bomb and October) have abhorrent album art. I actually don't mind the cover of my very least favorite album (ATYCLB)... I like how it ties into the BD music video at Charles de Gualle Airport. I'm a bit of an aviation geek.

as long as it's good, it doesn't matter. there's quality artwork in the back catalogue with or without the band - my favourites in AB, Boy, War and JT. really liked the art direction for ATYCLB, and HTDAAB, save for the latter's actual artwork which i didn't care for.

Honestly, I'd rather them just make a cover that isn't as ugly and grungy as Bomb. I don't want to have the image of the album be something that repulses me. Though to be fair it actually was representative of the sound and quality of the album.

Preferably not, or at least an album cover where the band members don't dominate or are not the centrepiece of the cover. I just wanna see some yellow on the cover.

Back
Top Bottom