Should T-Bone Burnett Produce a U2 Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For years - YEARS! maybe 10? - I didn't see anything cringe worthy, such was love for the band. It's still one of my favourite movies, too, even though some parts are ... you know. It's awesome.

I did NOT see R&H in the theaters. :reject: I was a big fan, but back then, I went to movies with other people (now, I can readily see a flick by myself). And I didn't have anyone to see it with. Plus, it wasn't in the theaters for long.

So I bought the VHS when it was released a few months later.

And I saw the cringe-worthy moments immediately. :applaud:

However, there were some parts I loved. For example, I loved Adam's comment about not mixing music and politics, which is one of my favorite scenes. So for the movie, having "Bullet" played live works really well.

With regards to the album, though, I agree - perhaps some different live tracks may have worked, liked "Exit".

Still, I found the version of "I Still Haven't Found..." to really be well done on the album (even if it isn't fully showcased in the movie). Bono's performance was fantastic and stood up well with the gospel singers. It was a great alternative performance. I also liked "Pride" - that belonged on there. First, "Pride" wasn't overplayed back then. Also, one has to recall that in the 80's, bootlegs weren't so available (and for a while, on vinyl). Hearing "Pride" live was a treat (even if I didn't like it at first). I would have preferred U2 keep "One Tree Hill" in the movie or on the album, but somehow it was chopped. Not sure why.

Tons of JT, Lovetown and ZooTV versions do precisely that as well.

I agree that many live performances of WOWY - even one I heard in Boston on the 360 Tour (!) - outrank the studio version.

But what I *think* U2Girl means is that a polished up studio version that's being passed off as "live" is worse than the original. It has been rumored for a long time that the WOWY we see in R&H the movie is not truly live, but just another studio cut made to look live.

If this is true, it wouldn't be the first time U2 tried this. "Bad" on WAIA has long been rumored to be a soundcheck performance that was then edited to have audience applause added.

Even if these rumors are true, I like both and it is still U2 performing, so I'm good. :wink:

If this is true, it wouldn't be the first time U2 tried this. "Bad" on WAIA has long been rumored to be a soundcheck performance that was then edited to have audience applause added.

This isn't a rumor - this is what happened.

I would still love to see Nigel Godrich produce a U2 record. Besides his work with Radiohead, he did an excellent job on Beck's The Information. He was also very blunt with Paul McCartney, eliminating tracks he felt very subpar or too sentimental. That's what U2 needs. They need a producer who will attack anything that sounds phoned-in.

THIS. I was just going to suggest Nigel Godrich before I saw this post.

Back
Top Bottom