Second half of SOI is the real U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that you can't go by what the author says 100%. For example, "Tomorrow" was apparently intended to be an IRA song. Later on Bono realized he was writing about the death of his mother. This is from Into The Heart: The Stories behind every U2 song. So which version is correct? Are they both kind of correct? Is there possibly even another meaning?

I believe that you can't go by what the author says 100%. For example, "Tomorrow" was apparently intended to be an IRA song. Later on Bono realized he was writing about the death of his mother. This is from Into The Heart: The Stories behind every U2 song. So which version is correct? Are they both kind of correct? Is there possibly even another meaning?

Also didn't Bono said that later on, quite a bit after writing/recording this song, he realized he had (subconsciously?) described the events surrounding his mother's death/funeral?

Also didn't Bono said that later on, quite a bit after writing/recording this song, he realized he had (subconsciously?) described the events surrounding his mother's death/funeral?

Yea he did.

Then again the song could just be about God.

But that's what I love about their old stuff. It's so open to interps.

for me it didn't sound like the U2 I was used to until Track 4, I know people think "Song for Someone" is a boring ballad but it is a classic U2 rock ballad imo along the veins of WOWY and One although nowhere near as great as those. But for sure, as a fan since 83 who has liked all their stuff (my 3 faves are AB, ATYCLB, and UABRS in that order), the first 3 songs had me like, um.......I think it was hillarious what the New Yorker said about some of the songs, and sadly a little true.

“Every Breaking Wave”: That recursive U2 trick where they sound like one of the hundred bands who ripped them off. I think this one might be by Snow Patrol. Bono’s vocals sounds like they’re ten feet away from anyone else in the band.

“California”: The track sounds like seventeen different bands averaged out in Yelp and turned into an Active Rock Smoothie.

“Every Breaking Wave”: That recursive U2 trick where they sound like one of the hundred bands who ripped them off. I think this one might be by Snow Patrol. Bono’s vocals sounds like they’re ten feet away from anyone else in the band.

Yep, good observations, you are also right about the vocal mix, anyway I can´t help loving that song :heart:

And since when do we, as fans, get to decide what the 'real U2' is?

They make their music, they produce their sounds, they make their choices.. Everything they put out is U2, and even if we think some of it tries too hard, or is too pop, or whatever.. Hey, that's the band.

I find people tend to fall in love with U2 during a particular period, and then make the mistake of letting that period define the band for them. Like the classic rockers only like up till Rattle and Hum, and everything after is sacrilege. Except maybe ATYCLB because, you know, that sounds a bit like them again. Or the Achtung/Zooropa crowd who consider everything else too pop and a sellout. Or whatever.

All of these albums tell us something about the band. It's all U2 whether we like some of it more, and some of it less.

It's a common mistake to equate "I like it" to "the real U2" and "I don't like it" to whatever the opposite it.

And yes, I get it.. The band have some hit and miss moments. Some songs where they sound more authentic than others. And if you're a long time fan who has digested all their music over the years, you do get a sense of what worked better, what seems more in time with the essence of the group.

But it's still mainly personal taste.

And even the "not real U2" moments are generally just attempts at growth change, and experiment, a slight miss, whatever it is.. It's part of the band. That song you absolutely hate? The band made it. They liked it enough to put it on an album. Sorry, that's the real U2 too.

Sent from my fingertips.

:up::up::up:

Back
Top Bottom