Sam O Sullivan: album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

Yeah, but half or even most of those songs may not even make the cut for the next record. U2 records songs all the time. Even on the road during soundcheck. Most of them never make the cut or they take an idea from one and morph it into something else. But even that takes them alot of time.

I can see Rubin maybe coming in at the end and possibly doing some sort of co producer thing. My guess would be that they have someone assisting them in the studio up until that point. Flood? :yikes: :lol: But he is an engineer also.

If we're just talking about ideas, U2 could have countless ideas from previous sessions lying around. I just meant 5-6 good songs they're assuming are ready to be recorded.

Now, if we factor in that what U2 considers a completed song may not be what we do and vise-versa, all bets are off.

LemonMelon said:

I heard 5-6 songs in December. :shrug: They wrote those between June and December, a month for each song. How much longer would it take them to write another 6? 6 months. That would put us around September. They record a little until December, get back into it in March. The songs have all been written and polished by then, and the recording process can be finished by July with no problems, they can have a single out in September, with an album in late 2008. And believe me, that's with a lot of padding. It doesn't take 6 months to write 6 songs, even for U2. Rubin could be in with the band as early as June if all things work out well, which means, who knows, the album could be nearing completion by December 2007.

I understand, but Adam said they had 10 songs in early 2002.
Something to the effect of "an album's worth of material". We all know what happened after that. They had songs after POPmart as well, and proceeded to write and record about 100 more.

Really, until they get in the studio and find the road they want to take, the real waiting game hasn't really begun. If they had a mind to keep in the ATYCLB/HTDAAB vein, yeah I think they could have an album by Christmas '07 or early next year. I think they are going to at least try something different, maybe they luck out and find it REAL quick.

I think it will be a while. While you hear all this talk of a shift in direction, you have to think of that in their terms. What it means coming from them. I don't see what they are saying as some huge R&H/Achtung, Pop/ATYCLB shift. You may get a shift in surface level sonics, style or theme, but I think U2 from this point on will continue with the lighter weight commercial sound. Whether they, or you, class what comes out as rock or pop or new ground or classic reaquantince, or influenced by X or whoever, it's going to all fit under the same overall umbrella. I mean this in the same way that while Vertigo and Original of the Species are wildly different songs in every way, Vertigo is way, way more in the same family as Original than it is with, say, the Fly. The same will come from the new album and all albums from here on, IMO. Sonicaly, maybe thematicaly there will probably be a shift, but whether it's a nice little quiet song or a loud guitar heavy song, whether there is some very, very surface level shift in the way Edge is playing, enough for people to go "Oooooh look an Eastern sound! How innovative!!", IMO, it's all from now on going to be neatly filed in the MOR basket.

What this means to me is that the album process will probably also take longer from now on. What happened on HTDAAB I think is an indication of what they are striving for with each album now. They'll work and rework and rework again until they get the album they want. If we're lucky it happens first go, quickly, if we're not they'll overhaul again as they did before. I think the reality will be in the middle as even if they strike pop gold early, they'll still try and work the songs into what they deem as better.

Commerical timing also is so important to them. Bono has said he deems an album successful if it can stretch over two Christmas'. I don't think they'll ever release something outside of this timetable again. Even if they have something 150% completed in July they'll hold onto it till November. I also don't think we'll ever go an Xmas without a U2 release. You'll get your IMAX DVD this year. There'll no doubt be other compilations to come in the future. There'll always be something now.

U2 the Band could and should be able to knock an album out at a far quicker rate. U2 the Brand has a strict commercial standard and business timetable on these things. I've got $20 on Xmas 2009.

I have to admit I have also never felt this way about an upcoming U2 release either. It used to be pure eager anticipation. There's quite an amount of fear in there this time around as well. I'll be putting this one in the CD player and saying a little prayer before I hit play.

Earnie Shavers said:

I have to admit I have also never felt this way about an upcoming U2 release either. It used to be pure eager anticipation. There's quite an amount of fear in there this time around as well. I'll be putting this one in the CD player and saying a little prayer before I hit play.

I do that before I listen to any new album a favorite band of mine releases. :lmao: Heck, I was pretty worried that Bomb would suck, thankfully (IMO :rolleyes: ) I was wrong.

I'll put down $150 on November 2008.

What I think that anything is an excuse for these guys to become that fucking lazy.
Come on... they had 9 months free (!!!) in 2006 to write enough songs to make an EP and leave some as leftovers. This is not calling perfectionism, it is lazyness.

:madspit:

Aygo said:
What I think that anything is an excuse for these guys to become that fucking lazy.
Come on... they had 9 months free (!!!) in 2006 to write enough songs to make an EP and leave some as leftovers. This is not calling perfectionism, it is lazyness.

:madspit:

Usually I'd agree with you, but considering what's going on with Edge's daughter, I give them a bit of a break.

They can always work at home, that's not an excuse. Bono had his father dying with cancer too, and they kept on touring, they didn't stop. Ok, a daughter is different, but do you understand what I mean?:|

Oooh, Aygo, my guess is you are going to get shot down in flames for saying that.

Anyway, the Beach Clips I guess are proof they did do some work through that break.

shart1780 said:
Yeah, but U2 are a bunch of old guys now. That's why the albums are taking longer and longer to record as time goes on.

old%20man.jpg

Bono in ten years

"Errr uhhhh....what's an album? :huh: "

Earnie Shavers said:
Oooh, Aygo, my guess is you are going to get shot down in flames for saying that.

Anyway, the Beach Clips I guess are proof they did do some work through that break.
Yeah, you're right, but it could've led to another direction.

These 3/4 years gaps between album in the last 18 years (not counting with Passengers and the Zooropa exception) is very bad, and lots of people outside the fan community has already seen this. People are not stupid and this makes contrast with Bono in the news shaking hands and political speeches instead of being in a studio working.

I always thought that a bunch of leftovers from the last sessions (including Levitate, FC, Smile, LYLM) could've been released with another 5 or 6 songs in a little LP in the middle or end of 2006, just to keep mouths shut and the waiting for a new real album not so painful.
Or, at least, instead of the shitty cashgrabbing U218, a compilation of leftovers, b-sides, demos and unknown tracks could've been released. It would be much more worthy, and I can bet that it would sell as much as U218 is selling.

No way it's gonna be 2008....It will be 2009 and that's such a long time that the album won't live up against the hype that's made around it at that time. I've had it with U2. :wink:

Jeffo17 said:
U2's Next Studio Album Produced by Rick Rubin will be released in June 2008.

no way would they release an album in june

Blue Room said:
Well you two may have thought that but I communicated this very time frame many times on this forum and quite a few people jumped down my throat for it. Called me a pessimist. No, realistic.

i've just tried to keep an attitude that anything is possible, to be completely honest. in the end, it really doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong, as long as the album blows our minds, right?

Blue Room said:

I love it. People were ready to jump on the bandwagon even before the McGuiness quote in Honolulu when the same type internet fan sites indicate new album 2007 by a single report. Now a fan site reporting from a very credible source reports conflicting information to that, and its not to be believed, because it doesnt fit what you want to happen andits only one site?? :huh: A bit of hypocrisy to me.

This time frame fits the template U2 works with and always has. That is what I have kept saying it. Sam is Larry's tech in the studio also. If they havent requested him and have no plans to in the near future for him (which he would know about) we are nowhere near a new album. Also, is Rubin confirmed for sure for the next album? I know its been brought up in some articles but I havent seen anyplace with any type of legitimacy that has indicated he is producing the next album for sure. All I have read is that its a possibility.

How is it pessimistic when I would prefer they tour in 2009 anyway? Not only does it fit U2's template for albums and touring, it fits mine as well! :lol:

:huh: If you mean the :madspit: smiley that was a joke.

And yes, I think another 4 year wait prediction - only the second time in U2's history - is pessimistic. (and that Q JT anniversary article had better be kidding about a 2009 album, even if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread)

I'm sure he's a credible source, but so are P. McGuiness and Edge. As for Rubin - there was no official confirmation that he is working on the album but until we hear otherwise I assume they plan to work with him (as indicated by Edge in an interview). The 2006 recordings were, as reported, a test to see how they would work together - from what we read, everyone liked those sessions. And unless something goes really wrong with Rubin, I don't see why it would take 4 years again. And I think February 2007 is a little early to be saying "no album plans for this year" for anyone in the U2 camp, and he did say there were no plans to go into the studio, at the moment.

Last edited:
Like I said before. I dont know how or why its pessimistic when I view it as a good thing? I seriously do, I dont want them hitting the road again in 2008. Its to soon for them. Its also to soon for me. Tour just ended.

If this information from Sam is true, there is no new album on the way this year. They have to give their studio crew some advance notice that they will be needed so they can clear their calenders. Most of them do other things when U2 are not active. Like I have said before, we will see, but I hope what was reported by Sam is true.

Isn't a tour in 2008 better than waiting an extra year? :shrug:

He did say there are no studio plans at the moment so who knows what will happen this year. It could be that Rubin is taking 2007 for working with Metallica and will start working with them in 2008. In which case I'd rather see someone else take over.

U2girl said:

No, I dont think so. If they hit the road again that quickly they will not have had enough time to recharge (like they typically do) and it could be a going through the motions thing very easily. I would rather they rest up, take their time doing the new album and hit the road energized and ready to go. I see an album in 2008 and tour 2009 fitting that criteria perfectly. Also, an extra year gives me more time to save up money for the tour. I mean, they JUST got off the road. Its not like there hasnt been any U2 activity for the last year or something.

U2 will ONLY release an album in October/November, and it won't be this year, so it'll be 2008. MAYBE they don't need Sam in the studio because right now, they are just jamming on songs. They aren't recording anything, and that's what Sam is there for.

Also, HTDAAB did not take 4 years to make. The ATYCLB/Elevation era ended in early 2002. I'm sure they took some time off after that, possibly even through the 2002 summer. The thing is, the timetable will play out for this album in pretty much the same was as the last 2 albums.

1998, 2002, 2006- Just playing out some rough ideas
1999, 2003, 2007- Putting the ideas into songs
2000, 2004, 2008- Fine tuning the songs, finishing the record, and releasing it at the end of the year.
2001, 2005, 2009- Tour the album

The_acrobat said:
U2 will ONLY release an album in October/November, and it won't be this year, so it'll be 2008. MAYBE they don't need Sam in the studio because right now, they are just jamming on songs. They aren't recording anything, and that's what Sam is there for.

Also, HTDAAB did not take 4 years to make. The ATYCLB/Elevation era ended in early 2002. I'm sure they took some time off after that, possibly even through the 2002 summer. The thing is, the timetable will play out for this album in pretty much the same was as the last 2 albums.

1998, 2002, 2006- Just playing out some rough ideas
1999, 2003, 2007- Putting the ideas into songs
2000, 2004, 2008- Fine tuning the songs, finishing the record, and releasing it at the end of the year.
2001, 2005, 2009- Tour the album

I'm beginning to find this timetable more and more true all the time. :slant:

The reason, IMO, that the band has no scheduled time in the studio is because of the fact that they are currently just jamming (as Acrobat stated above) or that they are writing the songs outside the studio. I really think they want to get on this ASAP, and they will, but I'm not going to expect anymore leaked material until later this summer or perhaps next year. :(

Blue Room said:

No, I dont think so. If they hit the road again that quickly they will not have had enough time to recharge (like they typically do) and it could be a going through the motions thing very easily. I would rather they rest up, take their time doing the new album and hit the road energized and ready to go. I see an album in 2008 and tour 2009 fitting that criteria perfectly. Also, an extra year gives me more time to save up money for the tour. I mean, they JUST got off the road. Its not like there hasnt been any U2 activity for the last year or something.

But they had several months off-tour time between S. America and Australian leg (I know, totally justified and for a very good reason and I don't blame them but still). It's not like they were playing throughout the year like 2005 US and Europe legs, and at best there will be at another year or so until they tour again.

Saving up time is good, yes. But the waiting game is tiring...I don't mind them taking a year off after a tour for family/Bono activism time (no obstacle to start some jamming/demos in between) but it can't be unreasonable for them to stick to the 3 year album/4 year tour time span.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

But they had several months off-tour time between S. America and Australian leg (I know, totally justified and for a very good reason and I don't blame them but still). It's not like they were playing throughout the year like 2005 US and Europe legs, and at best there will be at another year or so until they tour again.

Saving up time is good, yes. But the waiting game is tiring...I don't mind them taking a year off after a tour for family/Bono activism time (no obstacle to start some jamming/demos in between) but it can't be unreasonable for them to stick to the 3 year album/4 year tour time span.
That's exactily what I'm saying, it's no reason not to keep on working. That's what pisses me off and gives strenght to my laziness theory.

I think you would both have a point if they just relaxed during that time off. Fact is, they didnt. Edge had to deal with the situation in his family and then went straight into the studio, then hit the road again. Does that sound like time off? Doesnt to me. :shrug:

U2girl said:

He did say there are no studio plans at the moment so who knows what will happen this year. It could be that Rubin is taking 2007 for working with Metallica and will start working with them in 2008. In which case I'd rather see someone else take over.

I doubt Rubin needs a whole year to work with Metallica; he likes to get things done quickly. but you may be right about U2 not working with him until 2008. it really depends on when they get their songs done, because the supposed approach was that they'd write the songs before going into the studio.

It'd be nice if U2 didn't release an album around Christmas for once... because while fall 2007 may be too optimistic, fall 2008 seems like far too long. and I really don't see why people are saying 2009. Unless something unforeseen happens I wouldn't think the album would come out later than fall 2008.

If it's fall 2008 I'll be really disappointed, Spring 2008 would be nice, Fall 2007 would be even better, just don't make us wait more than a year please, I need new U2.

Last interview I seen Edge said they had 6 songs that they would put on an album, only 6 more to go.

They should try holding down a 9-5 job. They'd probably quit with exhaustion after a month or two.

Ah, to be a musician...

Irishteen said:

Last interview I seen Edge said they had 6 songs that they would put on an album, only 6 more to go.

If you and I are thinking of the same interview, then I think you got some facts wrong.
Yes, it's probably correct that they have about six new songs they're working on, but Edge said they were not in a good enough shape to be recorded.

From Q Magazine January 2007, special thanks to Bonoonline.com for the scan:
81216216107687822xa6.jpg

The next issue mentioned North Star and Love Is All We Have Left and let's just assume those aren't the same as the beachclips we've heard already and boom-cha, we have 5 new songs:
Thank You, I Believe, All My Life, North Star and Love Is All We Have Left.

LemonMelon said:

Can someone explain why this is realistically possible?

1. They have a producer.
2. They have songs written.
3. They want to get it done quickly.
4. It's never taken them any longer than 4 years to finish an album before, so there is zero precedence.

:shrug:

U2 is a touring band, think this is what some are missing. They have to figure a time frame to fit in a tour to follow the album.

Boy, tour
October, tour
War, tour
UF, tour
JT tour,
R&H born out of touring sorta.
AB, tour, Zooropa album in the middle of tour. Pop , tour.
ATYCLB, tour.
Atomic bomb, tour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom