Rumor: Band is already discussing date release and maybe new single out this year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was more than an 18 month gap between AB/Zooropa. Im all for a double album now and a further album in early 2010. They've spent enough time to do this.

"here are some doubts about which song should be the new single: a more typical U2 sound or a "new sound" music. Supposedly there are two new videos ready."

Double A-sided single ftw.

Forget B-sides and get the double album out. They already did the AB/Zooropa break before and that's not new, I'd rather hear the new music asap - we waited long enough.

I'm amazed that they even have something on the album that is "the usual U2 sound".

Anyway, great news, I hope it's true. They are in London right now, Bono and Edge were at a Dafur fundraiser in London last night.

I would love to have a good double album, but not a double album just for the sake of it, with fillers, then I'd prefer a great single album. Not so keen about the idea of B-sides.

I think we should take this "news" with a grain of salt, we cannot really know what the band is thinking and discussing.

I wonder if the song that has been mentioned is the christmas cover song they have just done that is on Redwire. I don't think any song from the new album will be released this year.

I wonder if the song that has been mentioned is the christmas cover song they have just done that is on Redwire. I don't think any song from the new album will be released this year.

the new single might be released on radio only just before the new year??

We will C!

What I don't understand about the b-sides objections, is that I distinctly remember that there were so many complaints about the HTDAAB singles containing b-sides that were remixes and live songs, and there was an uproar, "OMG, they're so lazy, why can't they release proper b-sides like the good old days of JT or AB" and now when that's a possiblity everyone is against it.

Obviously it they don't choose to go the single route it is a moot point, and I realize singles aren't popular, but honestly, they weren't popular in 2004 or 2006 when WITS and TSAC were released either, but they released them anyway.

I'm all up for B-sides (well, actually an EP like In Rainbows disc 2 would be my best choice).

Double album - NO.

I've never liked the idea of B-sides much, it sounds like "second choice" to me. The best songs have made it onto the album, the rest will be released someday later. I only want them to release songs they really think are great enough to be on a proper album.

I think you need to look at this from a McGuine$$ point of view. If you released a double album that is only 1 sale. If you released 2 albums over a period of time then that would be 2 sources of revenue. That is the main reason recent singles have been rather laclustre imo.

I think I've mentioned in another thread that I think this album will have 12-14 songs but mixed in continuous fashion rather like Paul McCartney's recent album or a Paul Weller album with various instrumental jams - however in more complete form when applied to U2

I'm not sure if I like the sound of a double album. RHCP's Stadium Arcadium was great, but it was a bit repetative and I think they should have just taken the best 12 or 13 songs from both albums and made one CD. I can't listen to the entire 2 CDs all the way through, it just gets boring no matter how good the songs are.

i actually would prefer a double album. i would even be ok if there were a couple "Basstrap" type instrumentals in there.

I'm not sure if I like the sound of a double album. RHCP's Stadium Arcadium was great, but it was a bit repetative and I think they should have just taken the best 12 or 13 songs from both albums and made one CD. I can't listen to the entire 2 CDs all the way through, it just gets boring no matter how good the songs are.

I totally agree! Maybe a "bigger" album with 14 15 songs, some instrumental song in the middle i don't know...

Frankly i doubt that they will be bold enough to such a unusual release.

Anyway, Breath could be released December 24th :drool:

A album early next year and another album midway through the tour and im delighted.

btw, when they mention a song that sounds like "old U2", i think they're referring to "Breathe"

I agree with whoever suggested the early 90s album / tour with new album halfway through approach but (puts cynical hat on and prepares to pour some cold water)...

...after all the speculation, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new album turns out to be a typical length of CD (11-12 new songs, and a Japanese bonus track that'll end up being easily downloaded). Some of the better outtakes and alternative versions will probably turn up on iTunes or possibly on a future deluxe version of the album. There won't be a double album.

There may well have been 50-60 songs written and recorded, but the band themselves will have realised that they're not all going to be of releasable quality. They are, after all, their own harshest critics in many ways - I personally believe that one of the reasons for this album's delay is that the band's own legacy and back catalogue cast a large shadow over what they're trying to do now. In other words, the indecision is at least partly because they won't release music just for the sake of it, and that (in their own minds anyway) new material has to be of comparable quality with what's gone before. Another factor will be that things like deadlines have no real meaning to U2, even self-imposed ones. The record company has no real power to compel them to do anything, and so they can spend as long as they like, endlessly honing and reconstructing the songs in their own studio, at their own pace - answerable to nobody. While that sort of artistic freedom is certainly desirable, it's also not conducive to making recording music with any sort of urgency. Working under pressure and 'on the fly' never did the Beatles any harm, although you can argue that they were even better when they could indulge themselves in the studio.

Obviously it they don't choose to go the single route it is a moot point, and I realize singles aren't popular, but honestly, they weren't popular in 2004 or 2006 when WITS and TSAC were released either, but they released them anyway.

Good point. Personally, I like b-sides. I like collecting the singles and getting a few new songs that aren't on the album. It's fun. If they choose to stop putting out singles, I'm all for a double album though.

I hope like hell the single is NOT what we're calling "Breathe" aka beach clip #2.
It sounds too much like WITS, with a darker chord progression. I don't like that shuffle groove...and wITS is the last thing they released in 06, 2 years ago. That's not going to seem like much of a departure.....

:down:

It all depends on the quality of the extra material. Based on what Steve Averill said, there was going to be another Passengers which means some of the extra material may be instrumentals.

U2 new album information from @U2

October 7, 2007: According to Zootopia.de, U2 are working on two separate album projects at the moment. They quote Four5One design guru Steve Averill, who spoke last night at "Music Ireland" in Dublin, telling fans one album is a Passengers-like project with Brian Eno and Dan Lanois, and the other is a proper U2 album.

Release an awesome double album with one album of the cream of the crop and another album of Passengers like material as a bonus or as an album later if there are full songs still left over. An album of instrumentals later won't be enough to carry on like a Zooropa so a bonus disc would be preferable if it's mostly instrumentals.

Another move could be to do a NIN The Fragile and have instrumentals inbetween the good songs if it flows well.

But singles are even more unpopular now; probably selling half or less of what they did in 2006. I'm not saying we won't get physicals but a lot of bands aren't releasing them e.g. The Killers, Coldplay

I'm cool with B-sides, especially U2's been a shaky judge of their own material in the past. Many times the B-sides are better than a lot of the A-sides.

I think the best idea is an album in February, a few singles each with new B-sides, and then another album mid-tour.

All you need is one hit song with a memorable melody and the rest doesn't matter... just as Coldplay did with Viva La vida, a completely forgettable colection of songs... and there is one more coming...

But singles are even more unpopular now; probably selling half or less of what they did in 2006. I'm not saying we won't get physicals but a lot of bands aren't releasing them e.g. The Killers, Coldplay

The Killers released Human as a single and Coldplay released Viva la Vida and Violet Hill as singles.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here.

What if the supposed "album + b-sides" discussion was about the 3rd Greatest Hits collection? We have a little more than a year until 2010, at which point GH2000-2010 will likely be due. Maybe they've realized that they're pretty short on a good collection of B-Sides and they need to strategize to give fans an incentive to purchase the set?

Who knows. I think in terms of the new album, the new single should definitely (by my tastes) be out this year, or VERY early next year (i.e. New Year's Day, Jan 2nd, 3rd, 4th, not much later). I would love a long album of 13 or 14 songs. I think that would be my ideal release, with something a little more down the road a bit (EP, second LP, whatever). But I have to admit, I would LOVE to see if U2 could pull of a double-album, because I think they could. It's just a matter of how much brass they all have in their slacks right now.

Maybe we'll get a full length soon, and then like, 4 EPs (no remixes or live tracks) throughout the tour. That would rule too. And then the Will.i.am 9-disc remix box set will be out around the final leg of the tour and we can all be satiated to the fullest!

Back
Top Bottom