Rules/Policy on Digital Music (MP3/AAC/etc). Copyrighted Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is all a shambles

It kinda reminds me of prohibition of alcohol. it sounds to me that the music business has gone all totalitarian.
it makes me nervous to think that they could stop a busker in the street from performing an artists song. professional music it not about technical/songwriting abiltiy anymore, but the exploitation of artists(?!) and fans
I find it ironic that bono affiliates himself with an anti-bullying campaign when you have these jerks intimidating fansites such as interference

dandy said:
The Supreme Court of Canada's decision on downloading was more along the lines of 'not illegal' (as opposed to expressly 'legal'). What the case boils down to is privacy concerns--the Supreme Court wasn't willing to allow a regulatory agency to monitor or collect information on individuals' activities on the Internet. Even if the industry wanted to press charges (like the RIAA did), our privacy laws do not allow for personal information attached to an Internet account to be divulged. If you can't name the person, you can't file charges against them. So, it's not technically 'illegal' to download music in Canada.

A link to the decision, if anyone cares to read it:
http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/rec/html/2004scc045.wpd.html
yes, and iirc, isn't this why they tax recording media like cd-rs? the taxes get sent to the record companies or something, so as to make up for the "lost" revenue since these people didn't go buy the album, but rather downloaded it for free? if this is the case, then at least one country's getting it right. :|

KhanadaRhodes said:

yes, and iirc, isn't this why they tax recording media like cd-rs? the taxes get sent to the record companies or something, so as to make up for the "lost" revenue since these people didn't go buy the album, but rather downloaded it for free? if this is the case, then at least one country's getting it right. :|

i don't think they implemented this idea. i remember hearing talk about taxing the cd-rs, but as it stands, cd-rs are still dirt cheap, less than a buck a piece. if they did levy a surcharge, it's nominal--it would have to be literally pennies.

i agree that this would be a more viable option than randomly suing a small portion of IP address owners.

Last edited:
ascender_RS said:
I wonder if the band's stance on bootlegs will change if, as rumoured, they sign a deal to distribute live shows via iTunes?

Probably the label's call, not band's. I know Bono and the guys said they don't mind sharing live shows but I bet Interscope/Island sees it differently...

I hope they won't shut down the mp3's sections of fan sites then...I can understand them not wanting illegal dowloads of what was OFFICIALLY released, but live shows? Who else would be interested in them but U2 fans anyway, who do go to live shows and pay fairly for the show and support the band and buy the records?

There's also the question of exactly what will be distributed on Itunes? Just the HTDAAB tour shows, or including shows from past tours?
(Dublin, Boston and Mexico are on the Complete edition, so is that a hint that we will get the best known shows from previous tours?)

Best solution IMO would be what Pearl Jam did and put ALL of the tour shows in CD stores, at a reasonable price. That way fans get good quality shows, people who don't download/don't have access to Itunes/prefer CDs to mp3s are not excluded plus the band still gets something back.
I'm hoping U2 will put out live shows in the shape of CDs too.

Last edited:
The RIAA will never stop bootlegging, even if U2 does decide to release officially a lot of there shows from this tour......... there will always be best ofs from the tour or audience recordings that get traded.

A example of how the live collection thing doesnt work is Metallica's Madly in Anger tour The First Leg is complete for sale and I believe the Europe Leg was to but the 3rd US leg some shows werent recorded because they could reach a deal with the unions so that part is incomplete......so there are flaws in this idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom