Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know everyone has their own opinions and personal tastes that should be respected but I really just cant understand the logic of putting Pop as U2's best album. My favorite album changes by mood so I cant really say which is their best but i know I would never think to put Pop as my #1.

i'm glad you let me have my own opinion. it's based on listening to pop by far the most of any u2 record for the past twelve years. it's got the best songs, lyrics and, especially, sound and never bores me.

I know everyone has their own opinions and personal tastes that should be respected but I really just cant understand the logic of putting Pop as U2's best album. My favorite album changes by mood so I cant really say which is their best but i know I would never think to put Pop as my #1.

My ranking:

Pop
AB
Zooropa
JT
NLOTH
ATYCLB (New York saved this album IMO)
UF/Boy/October/War
HTDAAB

I know alot of people have a hate on for Pop, it's not classic U2 (Streets/Pride/Bullet...etc.) but it is the peak of their career (360 Tour could top it though...judge is still out on U2's career longevity), their most daring and creative album. Best period for U2 (AB-Zooropa-Pop), they slumped in the 2000's until NLOTH came out, new cd really rocks, I really thought U2 was finished after Bomb, it's just waaay to safe, to back2basics, just came off as extremely lazy.

It is funny how people have different favorite "times" of U2. My uncle (who is an extreme music lover/collector) hates Zooropa and Pop. He loved HTDAAB cus it "sounded like their old stuff" and thinks NLOTH is pretty good but not as good as Bomb. I think his favorite album is either Boy or October which a lot of people do not like.

If I had to choose, I would rather watch Under A Blood Red Sky and/or Rattle and Hum than listen to any U2 album because those two flicks are what got me into them.

Achtung Baby
No line on the horizon
The Joshua Tree
How to dismantle an atomic bomb
All that you can't leave behind
POP
Rattle and Hum
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Zooropa
Boy
October

Of course this changes all the time depending on mood. :D

1. AB
2. Zooropa
3. JT
4. Pop
5. War
6. NLOTH
7. ATYCLB
8. UF
9. Boy
10. R&H
11. HTDAAB
12. October

I want to be clear however that AB is my favorite album and October although U2s worst is still in my top 50 favorite albums. In other words there are no bad albums here.

Why UF is ranking so low with people is beyond me.

I can see why NLOTH is ranking high at the moment because everyone is still excited over it, but it won't last.

Why UF is ranking so low with people is beyond me.

I can see why NLOTH is ranking high at the moment because everyone is still excited over it, but it won't last.

About UF, in my personal opinion the album is full of filler. Only the title track, wire, ASOH, and at times pride are favourites of mine, and I can understand people liking bad too. Promenade and ISS I'm indifferent to. But the album has 4th of july, elvis and america, and MLK on it, which imo are very pointless tracks. Would have been better with love comes tumbling and 3 sunrises.

About NLOTH, I fully agree. At the moment it's my most listened to, and the album I'm excited about the most, but when I rank-ordered the albums I thought hard about what I would think to it after years, and I reckon about 6th (out of 12)

My list was:
1 TJT
2 AB
3 ATYCLB
4 War
5 HTDAAB
6 NLOTH
7 Pop
8 TUF
9 Boy
10 RAH
11 October
12 Zooropa

AB
POP
HTDAAB
NLOTH
JT
the rest...

is really has a lot more replay value to me that JT... JT bores me to tears, unlike those other 4

It won't last because ATYCLB & HTDAAB didn't? If that's your argument then it's a stupid one. :huh: Or perhaps you just don't like NLOTH and can't accept that a lot of other people don't agree with your tastes.

It won't last because ATYCLB & HTDAAB didn't? If that's your argument then it's a stupid one. :huh: Or perhaps you just don't like NLOTH and can't accept that a lot of other people don't agree with your tastes.

I would of loved if this board was around for TJT or AB

AB won't last once all the excitement is gone, nobody will compare it to the Joshua Tree :wink:

Wow

although there are only a few people saying this,in my humble opinion anyone who thinks HTDAAB is a better album than NLOTH needs to get their head checked...having a worldwide popular hit with "Vertigo" does not an album make
NLOTH is more of an album than HTDAAB will ever be

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Zooropa
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. Pop
6. War
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. No Line On the Horizon
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. Boy
11. Rattle and Hum
12. October

My ranking:

Pop
AB
Zooropa
JT
NLOTH
ATYCLB (New York saved this album IMO)
UF/Boy/October/War
HTDAAB

I know alot of people have a hate on for Pop, it's not classic U2 (Streets/Pride/Bullet...etc.) but it is the peak of their career (360 Tour could top it though...judge is still out on U2's career longevity), their most daring and creative album. Best period for U2 (AB-Zooropa-Pop), they slumped in the 2000's until NLOTH came out, new cd really rocks, I really thought U2 was finished after Bomb, it's just waaay to safe, to back2basics, just came off as extremely lazy.

I personally would consider Pop to be much, much better than that sort of "classic" U2... it fact, I'd consider Pop to be a true classic. That album is amazing beyond belief.

Yep. Bookmark this thread and let's come back in 5-6 years and see where NLOTH falls then.

It's not a bad album; it's got great moments. It deserves it's place in the u2 cannon.

But the way people are putting it up there as 2nd, 3rd among their whole catalogue...well, ok. Let's see.

I have the feeling some are in denial, and it's always the same ones who attack every less than glowing post about this band.

It's cool; I know I was a crusader for them during the POP era when most people said they were through. I don't think for a second this band is through, but I do think NLOTH is lacking. Well, that's the way it goes.

Carry on folks.

Wow

although there are only a few people saying this,in my humble opinion anyone who thinks HTDAAB is a better album than NLOTH needs to get their head checked...having a worldwide popular hit with "Vertigo" does not an album make
NLOTH is more of an album than HTDAAB will ever be

I think HTDAAB is a better album than NLOTH and I don't consider myself someone that needs their 'head checked'. HTDAAB is a great album. I don't give a damn about Vertigo, for me it's songs like Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO. Great songs and some of U2's best.
Don't get me wrong, NLOTH is good too. And is only very slightly behind Bomb on my list. Who knows, in the future it may overtake it... I dunno, but at the moment I prefer HTDAAB. (but not by much)

01 AB
02 PoP
03 TUF
04 Zooropa
05 TJT
06 War
07 R&H
08 NLOTH
09 ATYCLB
10 Boy
11 October
12 HTDAAB

I would say...that as of today....NLOTH remains a pleasant listening experience just as it did from first listen.
I rekon it comes about mid way in my u2 league table

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. Achtung Baby
4. POP
5. Zooropa
6. No Line on the Horizon
7. War
8. Boy
9. October
10. Rattle & Hum
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind

12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Except for HTDAAB, which is a steaming pile of dog shit, this band has had some seriously unreal albums - I LOVE October, and I was stunned to see that it ended up ninth on my list.

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
7. War
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. Pop
11. Boy
12. Rattle And Hum

It change all of the time but 1 and 12 are always the same. Its odd that its that way too because those two albums were back to back.

just heard this album the whole way throught today....WOW!!! what an amazing record. especailly songs like MOS...i put that away for awhile. its such a classic track.

this record is amazing. i wished they dumped CRAZY and SUC and put those other experimental tracks on there, but this is a great album.

Sure, it might feel better as a whole than the other 00's output...but the songs just aren't as strong. And let's not kid ourselves thinking that it's better than anything the band produced pre-POP. That's just silly.

It's silly to think that there's anything more important for albums other than songs

The same as it did when I first heard it. I NEVER change my opinions on albums or songs. I like consistancy.

The same as it did when I first heard it. I NEVER change my opinions on albums or songs. I like consistancy.

...what? some songs age well, some others don't. the sticker-new feel of some songs wear off when some songs just hit you later. You can be consistent and start to like a song more or less 3 months after the fact can't you?

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Rattle And Hum
7. War
8. No Line On The Horizon
9. Boy
10. October
11. Pop
12. Zooropa

Not very high sadly, not that it was from the start. :slant:

just heard this album the whole way throught today....WOW!!! what an amazing record. especailly songs like MOS...i put that away for awhile. its such a classic track.

this record is amazing. i wished they dumped CRAZY and SUC and put those other experimental tracks on there, but this is a great album.

I agree with most of that, except that I think it's a very good rather than a great album.

Album rankings:
1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Pop
5. Zooropa
6. No Line On The Horizon
7. Boy
8. War
And bringing up the rear, with little to choose between their mediocrity:
9. Rattle and Hum
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12. October

If you counted Passengers, it would go in there at number 6, just ahead of NLOTH.

Back
Top Bottom