Roughly 3 months later, where does NLOTH fall in your album rankings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rank it as about equivalent to Pop and Zooropa - which to me makes it very good indeed. I don't think it's quite on the Joshua Tree and U.F. levels, which to me are the best U2 albums. Achtung Baby, (controversially!) I would rank below all the above mentioned (I think the lyrics are among Bono's best ever work, but the music very much dates it as the sound of 1991), and, as for the rest, they can take their place in line (though War and R&H are brilliant in spots).

GOLD:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Boy

SILVER

4. POP
5. NLOTH
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. War

BRONZE

8. October
9. How to dismantle an atomic Bomb
10. Zooropa
11. Rattle and Hum
12. ATYCLB

WEIRDO

13. Original Soundtrack 1

I usually avoid these making these lists because mine shift around quite a bit, but this is how I'm feeling today:

1) JT
2) UF
3) AB
4) NLOTH
5) ATYCLB
6) Zooropa
7) October
8) Original Soundtracks 1
9) War
10) Boy
11) Rattle and Hum
12) Pop
13) HTDAAB

Very Anonymous

U2's career, of course, also fits the Star Wars pattern quite well:

1980 to 1987 = A New Hope

1988 to 1990 = The Critics Strike Back

1991 to 1994 = Return of the Fly-guy

1997 to 1998 = The PopMart Menace

2000 to 2005 = Attack of the 80s Clones

2009 = Revenge of the Synth

U2's career, of course, also fits the Star Wars pattern quite well:

1980 to 1987 = A New Hope

1988 to 1990 = The Critics Strike Back

1991 to 1994 = Return of the Fly-guy

1997 to 1998 = The PopMart Menace

2000 to 2005 = Attack of the 80s Clones

2009 = Revenge of the Synth
Great!:laugh:

Maybe not quite up there with their best work (JT and AB, UF and War) but right behind them, fighting it out with Zooropa for 5th place.

Some guy called Barry from the NME calls NLOTH pedestrian. He says Breathe is an anti climax, ponders why MOS was ever recorded, calls NLOTH staid and makes some ageist comment about the band when he discusses Boots. Niel McCormick is a jealous dweeb because he called them rock dinosaurs. I hate ageism. McCormick is a prime example of that saying that suggests that it's not what you know it's who you know. He's not the most articulate journelist in the world, you can tell that after reading just 1 or 2 of his articles for the Telegraph. He's a duplicitus noddy who's not even half as knowledgeable as he likes to think he is. If Bono wants to do himslef a favour he should dump him as a friend, because the guy is just a parasite. I've had firends like that, but I shed them because I can't trust them. He said that Susan Boyle was a better singer than Bono...:lmao:. If you're not at least 90% sure of what you talking about shut up.

Some guy called Barry from the NME calls NLOTH pedestrian. He says Breathe is an anti climax, ponders why MOS was ever recorded, calls NLOTH staid and makes some ageist comment about the band when he discusses Boots. Niel McCormick is a jealous dweeb because he called them rock dinosaurs. I hate ageism. McCormick is a prime example of that saying that suggests that it's not what you know it's who you know. He's not the most articulate journelist in the world, you can tell that after reading just 1 or 2 of his articles for the Telegraph. He's a duplicitus noddy who's not even half as knowledgeable as he likes to think he is. If Bono wants to do himslef a favour he should dump him as a friend, because the guy is just a parasite. I've had firends like that, but I shed them because I can't trust them. He said that Susan Boyle was a better singer than Bono...:lmao:. If you're not at least 90% sure of what you talking about shut up.

You definitely ramble about alot of irrelevant stuff, don't you? :|

Gonna try it but it''s very difficult. As it is today:

Masterpieces:
Achtung Baby
Pop/No Line On The Horizon (can't choose)

The Joshua Tree (somewhat in between)

Great albums:
The Unforgettable Fire
All That You Can't Leave Behind

Very good albums:
Boy
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Zooropa
October
Rattle And Hum

Just good:
War

01 Achtung Baby (10/10)
02 Pop (9,5/10)
03 The Unforgettable Fire (9,5/10)
04 Zooropa (9/10)
05 The Joshua Tree (9/10)
06 Rattle & Hum (8/10)
07 War (8/10)
08 October (7/10)
09 Boy (7/10)
10 ATYCLB (6/10)
11 NLOTH (4/10)
12 HTDAAB (1/10)

Passengers OST 1: (7,5/10)

01 Achtung Baby (10/10)
02 Pop (9,5/10)
03 The Unforgettable Fire (9,5/10)
04 Zooropa (9/10)
05 The Joshua Tree (9/10)
06 Boy (8/10)
07 War (8/10)
08 Rattle & Hum (7/10)
09 ATYCLB (7/10)
10 October (7/10)
11 NLOTH (6/10)
12 HTDAAB (4/10)

Passengers OST 1: (7,5/10)

ok, i'll do mine again. my ranking system:

10 = Masterpiece
9 = Brilliant
8 = Excellent
7 = Very Good
6 = Good
5 = Average
0-4 = Below average

01 Achtung Baby (10/10)
02 The Unforgettable Fire (9/10)
03 No Line On The Horizon (9/10)
04 The Joshua Tree (9/10)
05 Pop (8/10)
06 Zooropa (8/10)
07 All That You Can't Leave Behind (7/10)
08 Boy (7/10)
09 War (6/10)
10 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (6/10)
11 October (5/10)
12 Rattle & Hum (5/10)

Passengers OST (9/10)

1) JT
2) AB
3) UF
4) Zooropa
5) POP
6) War
7) ATYCLB
8) Boy
9) R&H
10) October
11) NLOTH

111111111111111112) HTDAAB

As of now:

1) Achtung Baby
2) NLOTH
3) Pop
4) Zooropa (tie)
4) The Unforgettable Fire (tie)
6) Original Soundtracks 1
7) All That You Can't Leave Behind
8) October
9) War
10) The Joshua Tree (tie)
10) Boy (tie)
12) Bomb
13) Rattle and Fail

ratings out of 10.

OCT: 6.8
NLOTH: 7.0
RAH: 7.3
BOY: 7.5
TUF: 8.0
HTDAAB: 8.0
ZOO: 8.1
WAR: 9.0
POP: 8.8
ATYCLB: 9.7
TJT: 10
AB: 10

PASSENGERS: 6.5

It is funny how people have different favorite "times" of U2. My uncle (who is an extreme music lover/collector) hates Zooropa and Pop. He loved HTDAAB cus it "sounded like their old stuff" and thinks NLOTH is pretty good but not as good as Bomb. I think his favorite album is either Boy or October which a lot of people do not like.

That is exactly my feeling as well.

My least favs are Pop and Zooropa. I don't even own Pop as I dislike it that much. I own Zooropa but was really disappointed when it first came out.

My favs
JT
War
UF
Boy
NLOTH
AB
ALYCLB
R&H
HTDAAB
October
Zooropa
Pop

I think U2 "periods" is exactly what is happening, I am on old-timer, my first U2 concert was in Toronto in 1983 during the War tour. I saw them again in 1984 during the UF tour. Before most people were even aware of who U2 was. I was student at the time and it was a perfect match. I was them again on the JT tour in the fall of 1987.

I even meet and spoke to Daniel Lanois in Dublin in the summer of 1991, at a concert in the park. We had a discussion about how the recording of AB was going. I saw the ZooTV tour twice that year (march & sept 1992), as they came to Toronto twice during the ZooTV tour.

I moved to Texas but did manage to keep seeing the boys on all of their tours: Popmart in the fall of '97 (IMHO their worst tour), Elevation in 2001, and Vertigo in 2005, and not the 360 tour.

So I have now seen U2 9 times over the years in 26 year. We have aged together, as Bono and Adam are only 4 years older than I am, Edge and Larry only 3 years older. We are aging together, and loving it.

Their best concerts were JT, and Elevation. However they always do put on a good show.

I can't believe that today is the 25th anniversary of the UF's release. Where does the time go.

I hear people don't like Stand Up Comedy, but the more I hear it the more I love it. It makes me smile, plus I love the beat.

Still top 3 for me are NLOTH, Zooropa and UF... those are in no particular order either...

Can't place the rest easily - definite worst is Rattle and Shite followed by October probably...

AB hovers just outside the top 3 - never a massive JT fan...great first half of the album but with a few excpetions the second half of that album is dull as dishwater.

I love War too

Top five then..

NLOTH
UF
Zooropa

(...top 3 in no particular order as I said)

Then...

AB
War

I'm not too keen on ATYCLB and HTDAAB at all with the exceptions of a couple of tracks

Zooropa 10
Achtung Baby 10
Joshua Tree 10
Unforgettable Fire 9.3
Pop 8.4
Passengers 8.1
Boy 8
October 7.7
Rattle and Hum 7.3
War 7
ATYCLB 6.7
NLOTH 6.3
HTDAAB 4.1

Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
The Joshua Tree
Original Soundtracks 1
Pop
Boy
War
No Line on the Horizon
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

Achtung Baby - 10/10
Zooropa - 10/10
The Joshua Tree - 10/10
All That You Can't Leave Behind - 9/10
Pop - 8.5/10
Boy - 8/10
War - 7.5/10
Rattle & Hum - 7.5/10
The Unforgettable Fire - 7/10
October - 6.5/10
No Line On The Horizon - 4/10
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 1/10

1.) AB
2.) TUF
3.) JT
4.) NLOTH
5.) Zooropa
6.) Pop
7.) R&H
8.) Boy
9.) War
10.) ATYCLB
11.) October
12.) HTDAAB

The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Pop
Rattle and Hum
No Line on the Horizon
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Boy
War
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October

I know R&H gets a lot of stick around here and is not a proper album, but I absolutely love each of the 10 new songs that came out of that. And the JT to me was the high point of their career, it was just so beautiful and so removed from everything else going on at the time.

Apart from the last two, I like every one of their albums and this list was a difficult one to make. NLOTH might still make it's way up the list (I am STILL getting to know it), but I am sure it won't go higher than number three. Had to put ATYCLB pretty high because of the first six songs, I thought they were brilliant. But NLOTH has more consistent quality throughout the tracklisting.

Back
Top Bottom