Rock bands - essential records after their 40´s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thavidesco

Refugee
I like the new album very much. I didn´t expect it, nor I didn´t expect it to be so good. I´m very pleasantly surprised. I think it´s their best since Achtung Baby and very close to their classics Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby.

My question is, do you know about any rock band who recorded their opus magnum/essential album after their members turned 40´s. It is very rare in rock music.

Depends on how broad you want to be with your definition of "rock band." Plenty of artists have made magnum opuses after the age of 40; Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, Tom Waits' Bone Machine, Bruce Springsteen's The Rising, just to name a few.

I honestly can't name any rock bands that dropped their best record after 40. Bryan Ferry was in his late 30s when Roxy Music released Avalon, Mick Jagger was 35 when Some Girls was released...though I wouldn't say it's their best album, the closest thing I can think of is this modern masterpiece:

Yoshimi_Battles_the_Pink_Robots.jpg

Singer Wayne Coyne was 41 at the time.

Last edited:
Depends on how broad you want to be with your definition of "rock band." Plenty of artists have made magnum opuses after the age of 40; Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, Tom Waits' Bone Machine, Bruce Springsteen's The Rising, just to name a few.

I honestly can't name any rock bands that dropped their best record after 40. Bryan Ferry was in his late 30s when Roxy Music released Avalon, Mick Jagger was 35 when Some Girls was released...though I wouldn't say it's their best album, the closest thing I can think of is this modern masterpiece:

Yoshimi_Battles_the_Pink_Robots.jpg

Singer Wayne Coyne was 41 at the time.

Awesome album.

I think an even better question would be, who has released nearly their finest work after 50 years old??
Maybe Leanord Cohen, and Dylan. But it seems harder for a band than solo artists.

Probably none, least of all because not many rock bands used to last into their 40s.

The Rising is not Springsteen's magnum opus. It's his comeback album, like ATYCLB was for U2.

Probably none, least of all because not many rock bands used to last into their 40s.

THIS^ but as for soloists:

John Lennon's - Starting Over (age 40). Considered his opus but one could say was due to untimely death.

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros various albums but Streetcore comes to mind (age 50) see reasoning above.

In my opinion Kate Bush recorded her magna opera and the best albums of her career during the last 10 years (Aerial and 50 Words For Snow). The same goes to P.J. Harvey and Let England Shake.

Sent from my SM-T320 using U2 Interference mobile app

Manics' Journal For Plague Lovers would probably be considered by many as one of their finest, a bit early but Futurology might well acquire a similar sort of status in a few years (already got critical acclaim this year).

Primal Scream's More Light from last year could probably count as well.

Pink Floyd had good albums that are essential to Floydists in the 40+ territory:

A momentary lapse of reason
Division Bell

I was going to mention The Division Bell but didn't because it is not as universally well-loved as their 70s classics. But I absolutely adore Division Bell as much as their 70s albums!

Paul Simon did "Graceland" at 45-ish. Maybe not his best stuff but everyone seemed to buy it.

It's harder I think to release your BEST album at 40-plus, maybe cos an artist has made loads already and not only are they battling the inevitable lower amounts of energy but trying not to repeat yourself. But loads of rock bands and acts have made very good and sometimes great records in their 40s and beyond; Sonic Youth, Springsteen, The Wedding Present, Dinosaur Jr, Swans, Radiohead, Green Day, REM.

Truth. Push the Sky Away was my favorite album of last year.

Nick Cave's the only original member left though now and he writes pretty much everything so it's not quite the same as U2

I think the example you gave, The Flamng Lips is a brilliant one, that album is pure :drool:

Nick Cave's the only original member left though now and he writes pretty much everything so it's not quite the same as U2

Well... it is not that different from U2 to be very honest. Bono is the public face of this band. Bono is the main and sometimes only band member writing the songs. The songs are mostly about Bono, his mum, his life etc. Sometimes it's almost like the other members don't even exist!

Paul Simon did "Graceland" at 45-ish. Maybe not his best stuff but everyone seemed to buy it.

It's harder I think to release your BEST album at 40-plus, maybe cos an artist has made loads already and not only are they battling the inevitable lower amounts of energy but trying not to repeat yourself. But loads of rock bands and acts have made very good and sometimes great records in their 40s and beyond; Sonic Youth, Springsteen, The Wedding Present, Dinosaur Jr, Swans, Radiohead, Green Day, REM.

You´re right about REM, they were 39/40 years old when they recorded their best album UP

Well... it is not that different from U2 to be very honest. Bono is the public face of this band. Bono is the main and sometimes only band member writing the songs. The songs are mostly about Bono, his mum, his life etc. Sometimes it's almost like the other members don't even exist!

Um, what? If you have any doubts about how much 'the other members' contribute, just look at the amount, quality, and reaction to Bono's solo work. Are we even listening to the same album? Larry, Adam and Edge are anchoring this album and Bono is the one that wobbles.

Depeche Mode's last album is great! But not in people's mind as "one of their best"....

Soundgarden's King Animal is also very very good!

Black Sabbath's last album in 2013 is better than what they did in the 70's, it is the best album of 2013 by far. They are all over 60 of age....:up:

Um, what? If you have any doubts about how much 'the other members' contribute, just look at the amount, quality, and reaction to Bono's solo work. Are we even listening to the same album? Larry, Adam and Edge are anchoring this album and Bono is the one that wobbles.

Bono has solo work out? :scratch: Or are you talking about his work on the new album?

I dunno. Larry, Adam and Edge are undoubtedly present on the album but everything is about Bono all of the time with this band... the songs, the themes, the stories, the image, the public presence... the reason why haters hate U2 is overwhelmingly because of Bono. That is what I'm talking about. I wish other members would also be more of a public presence.

Depeche Mode's last album is great! But not in people's mind as "one of their best"....

Soundgarden's King Animal is also very very good!

Black Sabbath's last album in 2013 is better than what they did in the 70's, it is the best album of 2013 by far. They are all over 60 of age....:up:

:up: especially on Soundgarden.

Neil Young is as vital as ever. So many awesome albums post 40's. Just to name a few -

Freedom
Ragged Glory
Harvest Moon
Greendale

And on Springsteen, Magic absolutely wipes the floor with The Rising. Devils and Dust is up there too.

I think it's easier for solo artists to remain vital.

Queen had they continued would have been in with a shot of creating essential records in their 40's. A Kind Of Magic, released when Freddy was 40, is damn good.

Back
Top Bottom