Reviving/Revising the Visual Artof the Album Cover in Music Presentstion Today/ Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
Here is an excert from a set of excerts from Billbaord Mag that
beLIEve posted in "Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills" which deals with.....
...re-intergrating the visual side of Music presentation; that I though would be very interesting to highlight to a bigger audience of us in Interland

As someone who loves Album/CD art, as a buyer; and has done art in conjunction with Music Albums (very modest amount), and illustrations related to bands/music i love (published and non-published) ...this is a double interest

(enjoy!)

take it way B-man.....

-------------------------------Excerpt-------------------------------

Bono also has been brooding for several years on the challenge of rejuvenating his chosen art form, the album, and locates much of the problem in the loss of the marriage of "listening and looking" that the vinyl LP once provided. He talked with tech companies, including BlackBerry, and worked with U2's photographer (and now feature film director) Anton Corbijn to produce "Linear," a dialogue-free, black-and-white road movie whose soundtrack was an alternative, prerelease version of No Line on the Horizon.

The secret, he believes, is to put display technology at the service of the musical experience. "It's album artwork. Not videos, because videos demand your attention. You need to think it's supposed to be on in the background when you listen to the music-a much more ambient experience. People could watch while listening-the way we used to when you'd open up, say, the Clash's Sandinista! and get lost in the lyrics. 'Where are they? Where's Nicaragua?'

"This format is coming-the relaunching of album artwork. A plasma screen, poof! Your phone, boom! While you're listening. Because music used to be an immersive medium, not just sonically, it was always the visuals, too. Elvis is an audiovisual phenomenon. The Beatles were audiovisual. It's harder and harder to get people to pay for an MP3 file, but it will be easier when you're getting something much more interactive."

'hey c'mon fellow visual artists.... thoughhhhh....

:hmm:

... this WAS posted SO LATE- so people in the States would be rushing
to werk in the morning ...

... and I supposed pour Eu/Aussie/Asian poster were on there "it's Friday! let's get thrugh last werkday before the weekend etc stuff (except those whose Werweek comprising a Sat or Sun in it )

[insert speculation here] :D

I'd quite like to see albums released on USB sticks, you could have the songs with accompanying videos as one option or with lyrics as another, etc, and with a USB stick you could play it on yr PC if you wanted to just listen or stick it in yr tv if you wanted to watch as well, given many new tvs have a slot for flash drives

Back
Top Bottom