Release Date Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summer 2012 album (Danger Mouse).
Fall 2012 album/EP(SOA).
Album fall 2013, for which they will tour.
Give me this alternate universe now! :)

I guess in relation to the album is how they will tour, because how and when the album is released is based around when their next tour will be.

Considering how massive an undertaking 360 was, it makes me wonder will they go bigger or smaller on the next tour? It was a massive success, however, what could they do to top it? And what kind of music did they need to support it?

I'd lean towards fall of '13 too, though I'd love to be wrong. I do think they won't tour until 2014 at the earliest though. Just depends how soon they come up with an album they're satisfied with and how they want to put it out, I guess.

guessing 2013.....

4-5 years gap has been the trend since Zooropa! Why should they change now, it's been 20 years like this!

6 albums in 10 years (80's)
6 albums in 20 years (90's and 00's)

Lazy bastards :reject:

I understand the 4 year gap. If you only release an album every 4 years then it becomes special, an event.

Then each album gets the full marketing push of a major tour.

If they started releasing albums on par with Achtung Baby every year, people would get bored.

I understand the 4 year gap. If you only release an album every 4 years then it becomes special, an event.

Then each album gets the full marketing push of a major tour.

If they started releasing albums on par with Achtung Baby every year, people would get bored.

i would not.....

Just my opinion, but a band waiting years and years to release an album because their last tour dragged on too long is a sign of creative stagnation. If U2 seeks to be a relevant act, they need to release new material, and frequently. Prioritizing touring over album releases is something you do when you run out of ideas. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if they only did 1-2 leg tours from now on, in spurts (even if that meant I would never get to see them), just as long as new material rolls out.

I still hope for Fall 2012, but I know that won't be the case.

But this has always been their MO since they became huge, with the exception of Zooropa. It's always been album-->tour, album-->tour, and Zooropa was only different because they were in the midst of a tour anyway.

So have they been creatively stagnant since The Unforgettable Fire? I think we've seen enough evidence to the contrary even in recent years, the neuroticism and worrying over pleasing every era of fans certainly has limited how much we/the world has gotten to see that creative spark, but they're certainly not The Rolling Stones.

i don't see why autumn 2012 isn't a possibility? i thought rumour had it they were pretty close to wrapping up last year but Spider-Man got in the way?

They were pretty open about delaying an album mid 360 tour.

If they press on Danger Mouse - who seems to be the favoured producer - late 2012 is possible. Spring 2013 at the latest. Tour in 2013 won't be too early in regards to 360, especially if they go into arenas as they have mentioned.

Though at this point, more info would be needed for a better guess...

There will NOT be a spring 2013 album, or a spring any year album any time soon. Both POP and NLOTH underperformed when they released a non-Fall album. Don't expect any more non-Fall albums for a good decade.

There will NOT be a spring 2013 album, or a spring any year album any time soon. Both POP and NLOTH underperformed when they released a non-Fall album. Don't expect any more non-Fall albums for a good decade.

Exactly. I was surprised as hell when U2 released NLOTH in Feb 2009. Compare initial sales of ATYCLB and HTDAAB vs. NLOTH. Both of the prior albums had their initial release surge, and then the Christmas boost immediately after. Then the Grammy's 1st round after that, then the yearlong tours for both album, then the 2nd round at the Grammy's, and then the Super Bowl in the case of ATYCLB. HTDAAB had the benefit of being associated with the itunes / ipod revolution, which is one of the smartest business moves they ever made. The promotion of both albums were a thing of beauty, and I was completely shocked that they didn't continue to follow the same winning formula.

Even if U2 finish the next album in March of 2013, it still won't come out until October/November. They'll just use that time to fuck with the songs more, and make them either better or worse.

is there a new Wim Wenders film or another RedHotandBlue album coming? maybe they could test the waters like they did with Night and Day. Use a project to test out new ideas.

Because NLOTH would have magically sold tons simply with a Fall release ?

Exactly. I was surprised as hell when U2 released NLOTH in Feb 2009. Compare initial sales of ATYCLB and HTDAAB vs. NLOTH. Both of the prior albums had their initial release surge, and then the Christmas boost immediately after. Then the Grammy's 1st round after that, then the yearlong tours for both album, then the 2nd round at the Grammy's, and then the Super Bowl in the case of ATYCLB. HTDAAB had the benefit of being associated with the itunes / ipod revolution, which is one of the smartest business moves they ever made. The promotion of both albums were a thing of beauty, and I was completely shocked that they didn't continue to follow the same winning formula.

Well. That's what having Vertigo or BD instead of Boots will do for ya.

i know. i often complain that good music never gets released from january through august.

the idea that No Line, or Pop for that matter, failed because they weren't released in the fall is comical.

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was released in the year before No Line came out... in June. It was the biggest selling record in the world for 2008... and the second highest selling record in the US. Why? Because it had a giant single in Viva La Vida.

No Line was the 7th highest selling album in the world in 2009, but didn't crack the top 10 in the States. meanwhile Kings of Leon's Only By The Night did crack the top 10 in the US in 2009, despite being release in 2008. Why? Because Use Somebody became a massive hit.

so long story short... No Line & Pop, while still selling a TON of records throughout the world... weren't as massive as past U2 albums in the US for one reason and one reason only... no hits. the date of release had/has absolutely nothing to do with it.

guessing 2013.....

4-5 years gap has been the trend since Zooropa! Why should they change now, it's been 20 years like this!

6 albums in 10 years (80's)
6 albums in 20 years (90's and 00's)

Lazy bastards :reject:

A funny thing happened along the way: The members of U2 (gasp) decided to do more than just play music.

I say the new album drops sometime in 2013 which means, of course, that I don't think that NLOTH was their last album.

i know. i often complain that good music never gets released from january through august.

the idea that No Line, or Pop for that matter, failed because they weren't released in the fall is comical.

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was released in the year before No Line came out... in June. It was the biggest selling record in the world for 2008... and the second highest selling record in the US. Why? Because it had a giant single in Viva La Vida.

No Line was the 7th highest selling album in the world in 2009, but didn't crack the top 10 in the States. meanwhile Kings of Leon's Only By The Night did crack the top 10 in the US in 2009, despite being release in 2008. Why? Because Use Somebody became a massive hit.

so long story short... No Line & Pop, while still selling a TON of records throughout the world... weren't as massive as past U2 albums in the US for one reason and one reason only... no hits. the date of release had/has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Discotheque went #2.
An album obviously can be successful at any time of year. However, there are certain advantages built in to being at the end of the year, as has already been detailed by others in this thread. U2 has now been burned twice when they tried to mix it up. There's a lot of money on the line. Considering the last four albums, if fall can make two weaker albums outperform two stronger ones, they won't be taking that chance again soon.

The Joshua tree was release in the spring of 1987.Last i checked,it didn't do too bad in the selling departement.

Discotheque went #2.
An album obviously can be successful at any time of year. However, there are certain advantages built in to being at the end of the year, as has already been detailed by others in this thread. U2 has now been burned twice when they tried to mix it up. There's a lot of money on the line. Considering the last four albums, if fall can make two weaker albums outperform two stronger ones, they won't be taking that chance again soon.

discotheque went to #2 and then fell off the face of the earth.

if the album is good enough, it will sell regardless of release date.

if the album is medicore or worse? sure... it will sell more if it's released in time for the christmas bump. unless it's crap.

We have all the empirical data you could hope for that it would have.

We don't. And by having Boots, of all choices, to be the lead single, the band shot NLOTH's chances of sales. Because a (good) single will sell the album.

It's also worth nothing CP and KOL were the trendy bands in the 00's, and more importantly, considerably younger than U2.

I'm starting to think that any release of a new album is optimistic at this point. They seem to be thrashing about between musical styles, unable to come to an agreement on direction.

Larry was quoted as saying that they may just go away for 5 or so years and then have a 'reunion' tour... "because you know we'll want to". (sorry I can't find the quote, but I remember something like that from Larry, possibly from last fall.)

Other than that the word downloading wasn't part of our lives back then ?.....no.

Downloading, sattelite radio, pandora, subscription music, a la carte buying... a lot has changed since 1987 when it comes to music.

There's a lot of factors that play into album sales, but you would be ignoring all facts to say season doesn't play a part, for all numbers show otherwise. And season has always played a factor since the 80's, but even moreso since the dawn of downloading.

season helps. but if the album's good enough, it will sell boat loads regardless of release date.

no line didn't capture the general public's imagination. it didn't have that catchy, cross all genres smash hit single. that's why it wasn't as successful as the previous two albums. not because it wasn't released in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom