Real Life Reactions (personal experiences) of SOI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
No professional reviews
No Blog reviews
No comments about comments on websites
No fighting amongst one another(ie No BS)

Just the reactions that you have personally heard from people, good or bad.

For me: my brother in law who is a U2 fan, although far from a die hard(not some nut who is a fan club member or posts on a fan forum...;) text me out of the blue yesterday and wrote "album is really growing on me. breaking Wave is great.

He went on to say he will definitely buy the physical album when it comes out.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

My girlfriend (early 30s) who isn't a big U2 fan at all really likes the new album. Her favorite track is "Raised By Wolves".

The wife of one of my good friends (late 30s), who normally isn't a big fan of U2, also likes "Every Breaking Wave" and "Raised By Wolves."

I have really only discussed it with 5 friends, and they all love it. My one friend who used to be a big fan but became disenchanted after Bomb and NLOTH is back in SUPER fanboy mode. He texts me several times a day about U2. "Listening to Dirty Day now!!" etc.

Of course I have a few friends on Facebook complaining about the way the album was released, but they haven't listened to the album and never will, they already know they hate it. They've always blindly hated U2 because that's the hipster agenda… I don't pay any attention.

Tonight I am going to wait until the wife and kids go to bed, and I'm gonna drive around the country at night. This album hasn't gotten the "night driver" experience yet, which is something I used to do a lot because I was young, I was out until late all the time, and I had no responsibilities or reason to be home. I can't wait to crank this album up and just cruise with the windows down.

Great thread! You beat me to it. Some people have posted some cool stories on other threads so it would be nice to get them in one place.

My wife makes fun of U2 all time, but mostly in jest. She likes the Troubles a lot though.

I will have more stories to come!

From people at my work

My brother who got the album in my nephew's iTunes didn't delete it, listened and thought it had some good tracks.

Now my brother isn't really interested in music and doesn't have any musical taste, so I'm not so sure this is a good thing :lol:

I am a huge fan and my wife is a fan as well just not crazy like myself. We first listened to the album together in the car. Her reaction to Wolves was " wow this is really different and in an amazing way!"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

'I would probably love this song if it wasn't Bono singing it' - my girlfriend, who doesn't like U2 except for a few select songs, on The Troubles

'Their best album since Pop' - my friend who hates 00's U2, dislikes 80's U2 but loves 90's U2

'Wow, that is an incredible song' -
My stepfather, who isn't really into music at all, on Every Breaking Wave

'Boring except for the last three tracks' - my friend who doesn't like U2 at all

'I really like it, I keep putting the album on' - my brother who isn't into U2 but has gone to a gig with me and enjoyed it

'The single is very boring but Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is a masterstroke' - my friend who's a musician, he likes U2 a lot but then he appreciates all music. He's hard to please.

'I don't like it' - my friend who doesn't like U2 except for In A Little While and Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

my brother-in-law who loves U2 does not care for it, except for Raised by Wolves, Volcano and the Miracle. He did say that he needs to listen to it more.

My sister loves it, and she's a die-hard U2 fan.

My girlfriend hasn't listened to it yet, but I wrote a review for a website and that made her want to listen to it. She doesn't normally listen to U2 at all. It'll probably be too poppy for her, to be honest.

My friend who hates U2 alerted me that he deleted it as soon as he downloaded it, and downloaded it again just so he could delete it again.

My 5 yr old son is becoming a big fan it seems....was giving him a bath and he belts out the chorus to Volcano. He also loves This is where you can reach me...we chant "soldier soldier!" together in the car.

This is great for me considering his most recent obsession was One Direction

My younger sister said last week that she was going give it a listen. She got back to me a few days ago and said she didn't mind it. "Very soothing" was what she used to describe it, so maybe she was referring to Every Breaking Wave or Song for Someone there? :hmm:

Three friends texted me to ask why a U2 album was on their phone (they know I'm a huge fan). But all of them agreed to listen to it and 2 of them really enjoyed. I'm hoping I can convince more college age kids to listen to the record and become U2 fans

When I hop offline, it's almost as if the album never even happened. A couple of my musician friends mentioned it in passing - one who generally hates any rock band and specifically hates U2 to use it as the punchline to a joke, and another to kind of complain about the distribution but to say that any band responsible for War and JT can do whatever they want.

Other than that, the only time I've had any discussion of it offline is either with my partner, who's also an Interferencer (Slopsy), or with a couple of other Melbourne Interferencers that I know in person (Alisaura, major_panic). I suppose that doesn't really count!

"It's the feel good album of Autumn"
-My masseuse

"Don't 'leave' this one behind"
-My gardener

"If you download one free record automatically from your iTunes this season, make it Songs of Innocence"
-My chauffeur

"Bono is back, and bigger than ever"
-My cook

"In a world that needs "Miracles", U2 delivers. And this time, the only think they're doing with their boots is kicking ass"
-My Sensei

I also asked all three of my physicians what they thought of it.

1) "You can really sink your teeth into this one, I recommend it"
-My dentist

2) "A U2 song from Apple a day keeps me away. Highly recommended"
-My GP

3) "Just awful. I can't see why anyone likes this crap. So NOT recommended"
-My Ophthalmologist

So there it is, 2 out of 3 doctors recommend Songs of Innocence for their patients who listen to U2.

This is the best thread on the entire site.

A buddy of mine, a real music lover (everything from Metallica to Sigur Ros) posted something on Facebook complaining about the haters. Thought the album was great.

My wife really likes it. My kids (7 year old twins) absolutely love it. They like every song. Just 20 minutes ago, my son says this about Miracle: "this is the 4th time I 've heard this song today. I'm REALLY hooked on it!" But Raised by Wolves is their fave. Sing it at the top of their little lungs.

This is the best thread on the entire site.

I actually was inspired to create this based off a thread in the @U2 forums where people were talking about the feedback they received from people they knew. It was really cool to hear what "real" people had to say and not people on internet sites who may be posting what they think is funny or cool and not a true opinion of the music(good or bad).

I also am finding that people who really listened to this album, like it (for the most part) and its nice to read about those experiences.

I have been really enjoying reading through everyone's stories of what their friends, wives, partners, co-workers, etc... think of the album. In a way, it's the most honest reviews that we will get.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

My friend who hates U2 alerted me that he deleted it as soon as he downloaded it, and downloaded it again just so he could delete it again.

Such a great friend.

I would find out which group he likes, then buy the CD or album. Then video yourself burning it, using it as a coaster or letting your dog play with it. It would be worth the $$, IMO, to do that. :applaud:

As for me, I've seen some friends on FB comment how they like it. I worked with one person for years and he never discussed U2 with me (and it's well known I'm a big fan). So it was cool reading that.

My much younger wife who loves current pop music really likes Volcano, she even had me make a ringtone of it for her IPhone. Also caught her singing along to EBW in the car yesterday.

On the other hand, made the mistake of a inserting a Sharon Osbourne joke into an email with my brother in the states. He's a late 50s gun toting republican who of course loves Fox News. His reply of course (saying he listened to the album once) was typical and negative and just like a repeat of all the negative press and Mrs. Osbournes comments.

So I'm a Resident Assistant at the University of Oregon and a few days ago was the move-in day for international students. Today I was hanging out with a few other RA's and an international student from Britain. Out of curiosity I asked him what people thought of U2 in England. He said that he hated them and everyone in England hated them because Bono is a wanker. I was honestly surprised to hear such a visceral reaction, are they really that hated in the UK? (He did admit to liking Beautiful Day though)

:lol: Now that's the spirit!

So I'm a Resident Assistant at the University of Oregon and a few days ago was the move-in day for international students. Today I was hanging out with a few other RA's and an international student from Britain. Out of curiosity I asked him what people thought of U2 in England. He said that he hated them and everyone in England hated them because Bono is a wanker. I was honestly surprised to hear such a visceral reaction, are they really that hated in the UK?

Yes, yes. EVERYONE hates them in the UK. That's why U2 always play in empty stadiums and arenas when they're playing there :sad:

Had my daughter and her 2 friends (ages 16, 17) in my ride this past week during a rather long rush hour commute. After listening to the radio for a few songs it got Anaconda-stupid so my daughter says "put on the new U2 album". The other girls murmured about new U2 album? apple on my phone Etc etc.

Pretty quiet during Miracle but EBW got immediate positive reaction by the first chorus as did California and Song for Someone. They asked me to play EBW again. My daughter is now singing along to EBW whenever it comes on.

I consider that a pretty good test of U2's relevancy :wink:

Sent from my ass crack

So I'm a Resident Assistant at the University of Oregon and a few days ago was the move-in day for international students. Today I was hanging out with a few other RA's and an international student from Britain. Out of curiosity I asked him what people thought of U2 in England. He said that he hated them and everyone in England hated them because Bono is a wanker. I was honestly surprised to hear such a visceral reaction, are they really that hated in the UK? (He did admit to liking Beautiful Day though)

In a word "yes"

Had my daughter and her 2 friends (ages 16, 17) in my ride this past week during a rather long rush hour commute. After listening to the radio for a few songs it got Anaconda-stupid so my daughter says "put on the new U2 album". The other girls murmured about new U2 album? apple on my phone Etc etc.

Pretty quiet during Miracle but EBW got immediate positive reaction by the first chorus as did California and Song for Someone. They asked me to play EBW again. My daughter is now singing along to EBW whenever it comes on.

I consider that a pretty good test of U2's relevancy :wink:

Sent from my ass crack

Do they hate Volcano as much as you do? ;)

My kid wore my old Pop Mart Tour t-shirt to high school the other day and got great reactions from people, students and teachers alike. Don't know what they think of SOI though. My kid says it's alright but likes the older stuff.

My wife (who is not very obsessed with music) has listened to the album on her walks home from work, and now she sings along to the songs with me. She says there are a lot of catchy portions in the songs.

My Dad hasn't had a positive word to say about any U2 album since ATYCLB, and he seems on board with it.

Finally, I have a friend from work, originally from Argentina. He has been a fan since the 80s, and he likes Volcano and Iris. He says the album is very clean and cohesive.

Volcano is the new SUC is the new ABOY.

#stopthecockrock

I can see it going that way, actually... that bridge tho. :drool:

Anyways, one of my roommates who is a casual U2 fan (we are 20) and can recognize if I'm playing streets on my guitar said he was surprised at how much he enjoyed it. Likes Raised by Wolves and hears a lot of Who in the album.

Back
Top Bottom