Real Life Reactions (personal experiences) of SOI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had my daughter and her 2 friends (ages 16, 17) in my ride this past week during a rather long rush hour commute. After listening to the radio for a few songs it got Anaconda-stupid so my daughter says "put on the new U2 album". The other girls murmured about new U2 album? apple on my phone Etc etc.

Pretty quiet during Miracle but EBW got immediate positive reaction by the first chorus as did California and Song for Someone. They asked me to play EBW again. My daughter is now singing along to EBW whenever it comes on.

I consider that a pretty good test of U2's relevancy :wink:

Sent from my ass crack

I'm only interested in AP's reaction, of which I'm sure I can already guess...

Volcano is the new SUC is the new ABOY.

#stopthecockrock

I love Volcano and thinking about the Clash gig makes it even better. So if people don't like it... fuck em' because I love it and don't give a shit.

"It's okay, but I don't really connect with any of the songs." -My one friend who likes U2 (a lot)

"Sounds good!" -My dad (I'm guessing)

"U2? What is that? A spy plane?" -Everyone else in my life

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

All of the casual U2 fans in my life are to fractured to give it a listen yet, and it's pissing me off.

My 3 year old loves Raised By Wolves so much it's on repeat in our car nonstop. He calls it the "kaka keekee" song (referring to the sound effect during the intro).

Most of the people I know really aren't into U2. Those that have heard it think it's OK, but pretty much haven't given it a second thought. Even some of the people who I grew up with, who were really huge U2 fans for a long time, for the most part moved on from the band. I don't think I know a single person who's really "into" U2, or this record. Even people I thought would be loyal to them because they were fans from forever just have lost interest.

I just emailed the songs to a friend's wife and she really liked a lot of it. She is generally indifferent to u2 so I wanted to see what her reaction was (lucky enough to be in a friend circle most of whom are long time fans, but not very useful in the perspective department).
She started listening from iris, was moved by the lyrics. Around about volcano she said this is the most modern they have sounded in years (she thinks their last album was htdaab). Really liked SLABT.
Made the WOWY connection with EBW but loved the chorus. She chose California as the standout (I think its the one weak track on the album myself). And she got that the album was a pretty coherent look back on younger days, something that we all take for granted having known about the theme for some time now.
Oh and my seven year old nephew loves Volcano and my sister says Bono sounds as good as she has ever heard him (she has only heard Discotheque, AIWIY, WOWY and One from the period before ATYCLB).

My 3 year old loves "The Miracle", and makes me play the "Guitar Smash Song" because of Edge at the end of the commercial.

My wife is a casual (tolerant because of me?) fan who actually feels sorry for Bono, and thinks his good intentions are always misunderstood. I haven't really gauged her reactions on the new album, just that she thinks the people complaining about the way the album was released are silly. As she put it, "1st world problems!"

My 13 year old son, who probably is a victim of U2 mauchausian by proxy syndrome, says he likes it. He likes it better than NLOTH. I asked if kids at school were talking about the free download he said "No"

:up: Good thread!

One friend (a high school band teacher) surprised me the other day by posting on FB that she'd listened to the new album & loved it.

My very best friend - a U2 fan, though not near to the extreme that I am - says she's listened to it twice and is still kind of 'meh' about it. I encouraged her to give it some time, that the album tends to be a grower.

Mr. Blu, who has slowly become a fan over the course of our marriage, really likes it.

Most of the people I know really aren't into U2. Those that have heard it think it's OK, but pretty much haven't given it a second thought. Even some of the people who I grew up with, who were really huge U2 fans for a long time, for the most part moved on from the band. I don't think I know a single person who's really "into" U2, or this record. Even people I thought would be loyal to them because they were fans from forever just have lost interest.

I really like the new record, but sometimes I wonder if my interest in them is more sentiment than anything else at this point.

I think this right here is why U2 released the album like they did. I Apologize getting off topic a little. BUT - if someone was 1 year old when ATYCLB came out, 5 with bomb, and almost 10 when NLOTH came out, then they could be 15 with no clue who U2 is. So there are tens of millions of kids from 11 to 17 which I would call your formative music years that may not even know of the band at all

U2 isn't gonna get much radio play any way you slice it. There's no MTV anymore, So reaching new fans is not easy, if not nearly impossible.

I can really see some of these kids around this age getting this album from Apple and hearing California or EBW Or volcano or the Troubles and discovering a "new" band that connects with them.

A lot of fans have fallen by the wayside over the last 15 years, as you say.
In fact I was getting to that point of just not caring anymore until this hit. I love this album so much. I'm so happy it is this good

Anyway. I hope to have a report from some work people soon. Love this thread!

From personal experience I'd say "oh please god no," unless that was simply a rouse to not sound uncool with the kids and all

Verdict: listened to it (hey, this is a first step! Lol)

"was good" "it's alright" and " better than the last one".

I think it's safe to say that he didn't blink at it coming down for free via iTunes lol!

Of note, he liked Invisible, and when heard Ordinary Love for the first time on the radio, late into its release, was surprised at how much he liked it and thought it might hold some promise for tunes to come..

I guess you got the phoney macho act

Sent from my ass crack

I do have to admit..most/all of my workmates have talked even once, to me about the album and method of delivery. Only one has actually commented on the music itself, this Irish dude I work with. He thought NLOTH was mostly rubbish, but said this one is "worth a second or third listen".

...and then he texted me randomly last night to remind me of the Fanning interview. Yeah, he's catching the vibe and is excited, no matter how nonchalantly he's tried to state his fandom in the past :cute:

Sent from my ass crack

My friend, musician: "Did Edge go mad with his ordinary oldschool hardrock riffs" ?

My mother: "Is that Bono?" Why he is singing in such tiny high register?"

My friend: "That sounds just like Coldplay"

...and then he texted me randomly last night to remind me of the Fanning interview. Yeah, he's catching the vibe and is excited, no matter how nonchalantly he's tried to state his fandom in the past :cute:

Cute. I love it when that happens.

This is an interesting thread.

I played Every Breaking Wave and California for my wife to listen on headphones. As soon as the singing on EBW started, she went "Why does Bono always so this??... that typical yearning voice thing..." so I replied.. "um that's his voice. lol" Needless to say she wasn't too impressed with the song. I thought California might appeal to her since it is fast-paced (my wife likes Vertigo and Elevation) but that one didn't appeal either. Of course this whole album did not appeal to me myself on first listen.

I want to maybe play SLABT or RBW for her to listen but dunno if she would be interested in more U2 song trials. ;)

As for my mom, dad or sister... they either have no clue about this record or are not interested. I'm the only U2 nut in my family. :down:

My friend: "That sounds just like Coldplay"

I love it when I hear that. Reminds me of when I overheard someone at Riotfest last year who said the Replacements were ripping off The Hold Steady. Or earlier when I heard someone suggest that a new Pixies song sounded just like Nirvana. You just wanna shake 'em.

I just know—I mean I'm completely 100% convinced—that the general vibe 3 months from now is going to be one of "hey, remember that U2 album we all bitched about in September? Funny thing...turns out it's really, really good."

ok, so my co worker listened to it this past weekend.

He is not a U2 fan, but just a music fan in general. He is always into music of all sorts of genres, and talks with me a lot about Indie rock stuff, but hes into hip-hop, rock, EDM, etc..

Anyway, he said - I was kinda so-so on the first 3 or 4 songs, but then it really got good. I was really impressed, it was probably their best stuff in 15 years.
He also said - It sounds like the Edge is back with some really cool stuff and some new sounds.
He said he could hear DM's influence and liked it a lot.

I told him about Epworth and Tedder, and he said, yeah, it sounds like the first half had more of their touch on it.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm an RA at the University of Oregon, today was the freshman move in day and as I was helping residents I heard "The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" being played from one of the rooms. I introduced myself to the girl in the room and she said that she wasn't a U2 fan but the album was put on her phone. She said at first she was kind of pissed, but then she listened to the album and liked it. I told her I was a huge fan and that if she ever wanted to jump into the back catalogue I'd be happy to make some recommendations. She said maybe she will in the future. I'm glad that U2 found a way to get their music out there to people who probably would've never listened to the record if it had been released in the traditional way. I'm hoping that this stunt increases U2's fan base and introduces some younger kids to U2's music.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm an RA at the University of Oregon, today was the freshman move in day and as I was helping residents I heard "The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" being played from one of the rooms. I introduced myself to the girl in the room and she said that she wasn't a U2 fan but the album was put on her phone. She said at first she was kind of pissed, but then she listened to the album and liked it. I told her I was a huge fan and that if she ever wanted to jump into the back I'd be happy to

Im sorry but I just had to do that but this sounds like a scene straight out of one of my early 90s days...college girls..U2...ya lucky bastard you!
:wink:

Sent from my ass crack

Back
Top Bottom