Re-Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
What else from U2 does Invisible sound like, from any other decade? Pick a song, any song. It sounds like U2, sure.. But that's who made the freaking song. U2 have been sounding like U2 since the late 70's. You'd think people would be ok with that by now.

I gave it a 7 back in February, but I have to admit that it's a really good song! The start doesn't sound right to me, but the rest is very nice. I can listen to it 10 times in a row and it doesn't bother me, that's a pretty good sign. I increase it to 8 :D

I almost fooled myself into liking it for a day, but it was just because I didn't want to admit the sad truth. U2 have lost their creative touch. I don't care about relevance or mainstream vs. experimental. I just think it's a boring song.

I felt the "new U2 song" hype when it first came out and actually suggested at that time that it was a good song. It's not. Boring and contrived. Haven't listened to it in months. The only positive from the latest U2 album delay is that Invisible won't be on the new record.

Oh yea, U2 had a single out this year. Seems like a long time. Invisible is okay I rated it at 6 almost a 7.

Was there one of these for Ordinary Love? If not, I'd like to start the ball rolling by awarding it a nice plum zero :wink: Invisible is leagues ahead of OL, yet still screams "four old guys desperate to sound young and relevant". Maybe U2 will need to reach their 60s before they finally feel comfortable making (and releasing) music that feels TRUE to them, rather than pandering to the youth market. If and when they reach a point where they stop worrying whether the 18 year old pizza delivery boy really liked the track they just played to him, they could finally "be back".

Was there one of these for Ordinary Love? If not, I'd like to start the ball rolling by awarding it a nice plum zero :wink: Invisible is leagues ahead of OL, yet still screams "four old guys desperate to sound young and relevant".

Um... how is this song in any way being geared towards young people? That's unless the hip hop influences and "oh baby"s are just zooming over my head here. :huh:

Maybe U2 will need to reach their 60s before they finally feel comfortable making (and releasing) music that feels TRUE to them, rather than pandering to the youth market. If and when they reach a point where they stop worrying whether the 18 year old pizza delivery boy really liked the track they just played to him, they could finally "be back".

In other words, they're supposed to just make ambient tracks without any obvious guitar or vocal hooks, right? I'm not exactly big on the song here either (even though I thought it was just 'okay' and gave it a '6' in the poll), but I'm not going to pretend that the band is just going to resort to making "Passengers 2, except even more mellower" at this point in the game either.

Um... how is this song in any way being geared towards young people? That's unless the hip hop influences and "oh baby"s are just zooming over my head here. :huh:

In other words, they're supposed to just make ambient tracks without any obvious guitar or vocal hooks, right? I'm not exactly big on the song here either (even though I thought it was just 'okay' and gave it a '6' in the poll), but I'm not going to pretend that the band is just going to resort to making "Passengers 2, except even more mellower" at this point in the game either.

Um....you've made two frankly ridiculous leaps from what I actually posted. But nevermind. Fans getting bent out of shape over U2's current output and what they covet are par for the course here. As you were.

Was there one of these for Ordinary Love? If not, I'd like to start the ball rolling by awarding it a nice plum zero :wink: Invisible is leagues ahead of OL, yet still screams "four old guys desperate to sound young and relevant". Maybe U2 will need to reach their 60s before they finally feel comfortable making (and releasing) music that feels TRUE to them, rather than pandering to the youth market. If and when they reach a point where they stop worrying whether the 18 year old pizza delivery boy really liked the track they just played to him, they could finally "be back".

What if they are making music that's true to them?

I think you simply want them to make music that's true to you.

I mean seriously... My issues with them pandering to radio has more to do with their marketing decisions, their own perceptions of what's important, and their reluctance to let go of anything that isn't "perfect" in their eyes.

If anyone thinks that Invisible or Ordinary Love sounds like a band pandering to teenagers, well, they probably haven't listened to what teenagers listen to in a while.

And if you're right, and U2 thinks invisible is what the kids want... well that's even more sad.

What if they are making music that's true to them?

I think you simply want them to make music that's true to you.

I mean seriously... My issues with them pandering to radio has more to do with their marketing decisions, their own perceptions of what's important, and their reluctance to let go of anything that isn't "perfect" in their eyes.

If anyone thinks that Invisible or Ordinary Love sounds like a band pandering to teenagers, well, they probably haven't listened to what teenagers listen to in a while.

And if you're right, and U2 thinks invisible is what the kids want... well that's even more sad.

This post should be referred to again and again. Sadly.

i don't listen any more...

i remember my first listening - it felt so alien and i felt kind of bewildered listening to it, and it was really hard to find something i could recognise in the sound, but was just happy to hear new stuff so thought it was great and listened a whole lot more trying to digest the song somehow... and then i stopped listening and now when i remember the song exists i have no wish to hear it (in fact the music/keyboard is pretty irritating lol!!)

Ordinary Love though, i still think is a beautiful song

Back
Top Bottom