Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
I liked Boots at first...but with time I saw it for what it was...a slightly alternative rewrite of Vertigo. NLOTH was exciting to hear at first, but really I only go back to Breathe and Magnificent any more...:sigh:...and NLOTH2

I very strongly don't believe that Boots is a slightly alternative rewrite of Vertigo.

I liked Boots at first...but with time I saw it for what it was...a slightly alternative rewrite of Vertigo. NLOTH was exciting to hear at first, but really I only go back to Breathe and Magnificent any more...:sigh:...and NLOTH2

I listened to NLOTH the other day having not heard it in a long time. The only songs that struck me on any level were NLOTH, UC and COL. There rest was pure boredom.

On my first listen to NLOTH (having only previously heard Boots), the two that stood out the most to me were the title track and Cedars. Those made me sit up and say "Whoa, that's different and I like it."

The rest of the album (save for Stand Up Comedy, which is awful and should be ashamed of itself) grew on me quickly, though. I do like it very, very much overall.

On my first listen to NLOTH (having only previously heard Boots), the two that stood out the most to me were the title track and Cedars. Those made me sit up and say "Whoa, that's different and I like it."

The rest of the album (save for Stand Up Comedy, which is awful and should be ashamed of itself) grew on me quickly, though. I do like it very, very much overall.

I understand the hate for SUC given the lyrics, but I do like the guitar and bass work in it. For me the real embarrassment was Crazy Tonight. Although I really enjoyed the live remix. Might be in the minority on that one though.

The only thing I like about Stand Up Comedy are the lines about "stand up to rock stars" and "be careful of small men with big ideas."

I have a soft spot for Crazy Tonight because it's a lovely little pop song. It's innocuous, just out of place on the album. And I love the remix.

I understand the hate for SUC given the lyrics, but I do like the guitar and bass work in it. For me the real embarrassment was Crazy Tonight. Although I really enjoyed the live remix. Might be in the minority on that one though.

Embarrassed of Crazy? Being that there are two times in the song that Bono's voice cracks/strains to holy hell, yeah, I'd say I'm with you on that. If not for that, it would be a pretty good song

Despite the universal hate for boots (I don't like it either). Larry's drum work is exception see this cover U2 Get on your Boots drum cover - YouTube

His drums are awesome on GOYB. As a whole Larry & Adam did some pretty solid work on NLOTH.

Edge is due for a killer album. Not a big fan of Edge on ATYCLB, HTDDAB, & NLOTH. ATYCLB might be his best out of all 3 of those.....:huh:

I'm sorry but MOS and Unknown Caller are just too long, and lyrically strange for my taste. ATM machines and rebooting yourself seem like Bono was trying too hard, whenever I hear those songs...I know most peeps like MOS, but I don't listen to it very much...:shrug:

Me neither. I don't "dislike" MOS, but I could never understand the hype, whether from the fanbase, whether from the press. I like it instrumentally, I was never secure about Bono's vocals screaming right from the beggining, and I never fully accepted the "ATM machines", "precious stone rings for the wedding day" lyrical ideas, or the "visions over visibility" lyrical accomplishment.
I dare to say that, as a non-english native speaker, I can accept much better the "restart and reboot yourself" line (although I'd replace the "force quit and move to trash" by the alternative "come back to me" I heard in a video during the recording of the song) than these lyrical MOS ideas I refered.

The problem with SUC, to me, is not just the lyrics. It's the production choices and work.
I remember in one of those video-teasers before the album release, listening to Edge playing to the song over the already-recorded other tracks... And although immediately recognizable as SUC, it sounded quite different as well. It sounded more raw, more "real 70's revival", less RHCP-ripoff. It sounded better (maybe it still was in its "For Your Love" form?).

Can't I revote? I want to change my 8 to a 7, the new song euphoria is gone. I think it lacks the extra punch to keep it at 8. Hope I am wrong, maybe I have listened to it too much?:scratch:

Can't I revote? I want to change my 8 to a 7, the new song euphoria is gone. I think it lacks the extra punch to keep it at 8. Hope I am wrong, maybe I have listened to it too much?:scratch:

You cannot re-vote. However, a new thread will be opened in the coming weeks for everyone's updated reactions. :) The whole point is to compare initial reactions to updated reactions.

Also, at 262 first-reaction votes, Invisible has moved up, albeit slightly. With 262 (!) votes, it currently has a mean of 7.4312977099, and is ranked 104th, below Oh Berlin and above Daddy's Gonna Pay.

If you're going to listen to a song ridiculously often it's always going to lose its punch, no matter how good the song might be. It's why I never try and listen a song to death.

good call. gonna stop now. but i think it was a good thing that it held up to repeated listens

His drums are awesome on GOYB. As a whole Larry & Adam did some pretty solid work on NLOTH.

Edge is due for a killer album. Not a big fan of Edge on ATYCLB, HTDDAB, & NLOTH. ATYCLB might be his best out of all 3 of those.....:huh:

I really like Edge on Bomb...

Vertigo, solo on Drug, solo on Love and Peace, City of Lights, and Original.

Mercy fits here for me too,

Sent via poop shoot

You cannot re-vote. However, a new thread will be opened in the coming weeks for everyone's updated reactions. :) The whole point is to compare initial reactions to updated reactions.

Also, at 262 first-reaction votes, Invisible has moved up, albeit slightly. With 262 (!) votes, it currently has a mean of 7.4312977099, and is ranked 104th, below Oh Berlin and above Daddy's Gonna Pay.

Digitize.....where do Cedars of Lebanon and Wake Up Dead Man Rank (and their avg)?

I rate it as 9, I realy like the atmosphere in the song. Something pop-songs by U2 usally lacks.
It got a similar echo-sound that the songs on AB have, also I find similarities on Mercy in the way Bono sings and sounds on this song.

Also Im very impressed with his voice on this song, he should sing more often in this middle low register, also the higher parts in very emotional. I realy love the way he wails in "Melt".

As an electronic guy I realy like the rhythm and the synth-sound, it sound very fresh...

If U2 keep this atmosphere like they have in OL and Invisible on all songs on the new album and not including songs like SUC, IGCIIDGCT, CFYT, Elevation, MD, WITS... We might have the strongest album that have been released since pop or AB...

A perfect pop song? No, but a realy great popsong, surprisingly good.

okay, sorry I said I want to downgrade it to a seven. Its been two weeks since I have listened to it first (for me thats the statute of limitations as far as new u2 songs go) and I think it should stay at eight. What I like here is that U2 seems to have gone back to the lyrical aesthetic that made them great -- apparent love songs that are about so much more.
the clincher for me is the chorus, particularly the line: I'm more than you let me be... body in a soul, you dont see me but you will....................

9 just because it's harder to rate well as a standalone song. Probably not in my top 50 U2 tracks but definitely higher than where it's at now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Back
Top Bottom