Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
I gave it a 3/10. It's mostly a bleh song with a few cool elements. The intro is particularly great (especially the little Kraftwerk-esque synth lines) and the music as a whole does a great job at getting some emotions across, but the melody is weak and the lyrics are even clunkier. I honestly wish it were an instrumental since Bono's lyrics and most of the vocals are a huge detriment to the rest of the track.

As usual, fans are overrating a new product around here, but I personally can't think of a weaker U2 single in this band's entire history. Maybe "Original of the Species"...maybe.

Like, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that this might not function as a formal single for the album. My brain naturally goes in the direction of this being a huge future hit for them.

Well, your brain and the band are overly optimistic. On what radio format will this be successful other than Triple A (where the band's latest tracks always get played a bunch anyway)? The audience for this song just isn't out there, partially because of the segmentation of radio.

Plus, a "hit" in general terms would require strong single sales. Of which this will have none since it's a free download for most people that will snag it.

U2's hit making days are probably over for the most part. "Vertigo" was the last big one in America...the last to break through on formats other than Triple A.

Why did they replace Larry? Why is a synthesizer replacing Edge? I just don't like the song at all. A very very very bad beautiful day drum machine intro followed by lousy synthesizers. Way to much overproduced. Doesn't sound raw. Edge was on fire (again???) but I don't hear it. This is not the rockband U2, not at all!

9 :)

May be too high, but I really love this song and it kept me up at night because of all the excitement. Listened to it a lot on my headphones and it's amazing. If there's more of that on the album, I will be very happy. It's just good to see and hear them again.

Well, it's a day later and I still really like the song, in particular the music, Edge seems to have rediscovered his mojo and as a result the song sounds fresh and different.

Yesterday I gave it an with the caveat that after repeated listening it could become a 9, but I think my initial score was correct. The only weak spot for me is the chorus, there's something about the way Bono sings " I am NOT invisible" that sets my teeth on edge, it sounds a bit lame and unconvincing. BUT other than that I'm still a big fan.

Why did they replace Larry? Why is a synthesizer replacing Edge? I just don't like the song at all. A very very very bad beautiful day drum machine intro followed by lousy synthesizers. Way to much overproduced. Doesn't sound raw. Edge was on fire (again???) but I don't hear it. This is not the rockband U2, not at all!

I agree with this. I gave it a 5.

I gave it a 3/10. It's mostly a bleh song with a few cool elements. The intro is particularly great (especially the little Kraftwerk-esque synth lines) and the music as a whole does a great job at getting some emotions across, but the melody is weak and the lyrics are even clunkier. I honestly wish it were an instrumental since Bono's lyrics and most of the vocals are a huge detriment to the rest of the track.

As usual, fans are overrating a new product around here, but I personally can't think of a weaker U2 single in this band's entire history. Maybe "Original of the Species"...maybe.

Boots?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I put today's Invisible votes into my 2012 Rate the Song spreadsheet. With 88 votes (which is, by a fair amount, more votes than any song got in 2012 Rate the Song), Invisible has a mean rating of 7.69, with a standard deviation of 1.37 points. Putting it with the 2012 votes, this would put it in 83rd place among U2 songs, right below Mothers of the Disappeared, and right above When I Look at the World. It is a few ranks down from Vertigo, and rather far ahead of Boots.

Thoughts? Seems a little low to me. Obviously, though, it's hard to put too much stock in a comparison between Invisible's votes in 2014 and all of the other votes from 2012.

Interesting. 83rd doesn't seem to that low to me, when you consider how deep U2's library is and that, IMO at least, there are several U2 records that at least 3/4 of the songs, if not all of them, are better than this one. If a great song like Mother's of the Disappeared ranks 82nd, that tells me Invisible's ranking really isn't that far out of line. How many total songs did you actually poll last time around? That might put the 83rd ranking in a bit more perspective.

I'm actually more interested in seeing how this song polls not in a month, but in a few months after the first "official" single comes out (and the album version of Invisible), and the RED edit is no longer the shiny new object. Something tells me that this is the highest this version of the song is ever going to poll.

I agree with this. I gave it a 5.

You guys realise that Larry is actually playing synth drums, and Edge is playing a lot of the other synth stuff right? Tell me you actually know this, right????

I personally can't think of a weaker U2 single in this band's entire history. Maybe "Original of the Species"...maybe.

There have been far more baffling singles. If God Will Send His Angels is the really obvious one, not to mention using 40 as a single in Germany.

And as someone else said, Boots. I concur re: OOTS. What a sack of shit.

Why did they replace Larry? Why is a synthesizer replacing Edge?

I can't believe people are saying this. They're quite obviously there. This is some pretty cool work by Edge, to be honest. I like a chance to rag on Larry because I think his last really notable effort was God Part II, but he pulls his weight on Invisible.

Bleh 2/10, I got more excited when I heard BOOTS for the first time (I did like it back then). I like the intro and the first verse, but after that it goes to shit imo, the chorus is so weak. (So is Bono's voice).

But yeah, because of the terrible Chorus I already deleted it.

8/10 for me...started lower but got better and better with each listen. production is very refreshing and lyrics are at least not cringe-worthy. Sounds great on headphones.

Seems like even the hipster sites are grudgingly saying it's "not bad".

Extend Edge's solo and tack on an extra chorus at end and it's golden.

I really like this song.. I gave it an 8. The intro is fantastic to hear from the persepective of a U2 fan looking for a possibly different sound from this upcoming album.

I like a chance to rag on Larry because I think his last really notable effort was God Part II

Acrobat. His greatest work in my mind. And a lot of other stuff from the 90s really. I love his hypnotic drum beat on Your Blue Room.

Please has a great groove, Mysterious Ways too (Zoo TV and Popmart), and The Fly's drum pattern is excellent too (with those toms). Mofo is A+.

8. Nearly a day later, I still find it to be a fantastic tune - it's not overworked, thankfully, and it's really fresh. I love the intro, and everything else in the track is just great. Looking forward to the album version. :hyper:

I don't think it's going laughably far, I'm not sure about your definition of what good drumming is. :shrug:

I just don't find anything remarkable about his drumming on that album. Forgettable like most of that record. And Ax did use the term "notable effort", so I'm going by that.

Funny thing is the Synth riff that goes along with the "There's no them, there's only us" isn't actually a synth riff. Check the making off clip on facebook. it's Edge playing the explorer through whacky effects. So he's right there. :wink:

For those that claim Larry isn't playing, get your ears waxed. There's two drumlines, the drum computer line and a proper drumkit riff, and they're very audible. :shrug:

Never thought it was a synth. Clearly effected guitar.

And as for the drums, correct: there's electronic drums and normal (also effected drums). And if you look closely during the commercial you can see the electronic pads set up right at Larry's kit. Guess he approves, after all :rolleyes: :wink:

There are recent U2 guitar driven songs, like Vertigo, or do you mean a majority album worth?

And Larry is definitely heard...but I think what is throwing some off is that in the commercial his drums are much more audible. Maybe that is in the album version.

Back
Top Bottom