Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
Funny...I've been as critical of Bono's recent lyrics as anyone on here, but I quite like these (and conversely thought OL's lyrics were horrid).

That this song can't compare with anything on TUF goes without saying, we share a love for that record, but that's hardly a fair comparison.

You prefer EPAA and MLK to this?

It sounds like Smile got a synth pop makover. Best "lead single" since Beautiful Day.

7 or 8, I'm not sure. The lyrics are lame, but it's a damn good pop song, not gonna lie.

:lol: This will be hillarious to compare in a few months' time.

I really enjoy it now, usually my taste stays pretty much the same. Loved NLOTH2 over boots last time, enormously, and it's still one of my faves. I like Invisible, quite a bit, cause it sounds different. And that the wonky what I thought were synth noises are made on a guitar, bonus points, lol. I'd say it gets an 8.

It sounds like Smile got a synth pop makover. Best lead single since Beautiful Day.

7 or 8, I'm not sure. The lyrics are lame, but it's a damn good pop song, not gonna lie.

It's not the lead single.

Like, I think it's absolutely ludicrous that this might not function as a formal single for the album. My brain naturally goes in the direction of this being a huge future hit for them.

Who in their right mind rated this (or any) song 3 / 10???

3/10 is generally reserved for when someone records the sound of the shit falling from their arse into the toilet bowl, with clipping, and excessive echo. Possibly also some mic feedback.

Surely that's a 0 or a 1, with 3/10 just for a "bad but it could be worse" kind of tune.

Funny...I've been as critical of Bono's recent lyrics as anyone on here, but I quite like these (and conversely thought OL's lyrics were horrid).

That this song can't compare with anything on TUF goes without saying, we share a love for that record, but that's hardly a fair comparison.

I think both songs are underwhelming in the lyrics department. I've got to run now, so I haven't time to go into detail, but Invisible reads to me like a combination of bad high school poetry inspired by second rate emo-pop bands (e.g. the opening verse) and stale cliches ("there is no them, only us").

But, for anyone who's about to paint me as a total detractor without reading my earlier post, the instrumentation is pretty promising. I like what's going on there.

6/10 for now. I enjoy the instrumentation but the poor lyrics really let it down. Sometimes they don't even fit, and sound as if Bono thinks they were so good that he forced them in anyway.

I put UF on afterwards and the sudden jump up in quality was really apparent.

I did the same!!! I played Exit and God part 2 very loud... :heart:

Some good moments in that song but intro and outro too poppy for me. Not a fan of synth that softens the song. However I love the part between 1:55 and 2:51, the best part being clearly at 2:35!!! Average song, some efforts to get another sound, unfortunately those are the parts I don t like.
Hopefully album version is less pop and more guitar/drum oriented. Adam is making a great job. Edge gives some signs of life again.... Larry, I don t know what to think really.

7/10

Your rating Dig?

I gave it a 9. Perhaps that's too generous, but I think it's a fabulous song.

(I also ranked in the context of my ranking scale from late in the 2012 series, which was overly generous.)

I gave it a 9. Perhaps that's too generous, but I think it's a fabulous song.

(I also ranked in the context of my ranking scale from late in the 2012 series, which was overly generous.)

I also think it's a good song...though I wouldn't rate it quite that high (I gave it a 7), which in my mind would mean it ranks among U2's best, and I wouldn't go that far. But as you alluded to, we might be using different scales.

Incidentally, the discussion we were having yesterday...i.e. the music making the lyrics. I think that's happened here, and hearing the lyrics with the music, I really find them quite moving.

After a bunch more listens, I'm going to go with a very happy 8.

Maybe in a month or two it will settle down to a lower number, but I can't imagine it would drop to below a 6 on the 1-10 scale.

I gave it a 9. I adore it.

Sure, I might say 7 or 8 in a month, but that's not what this is for.

I put today's Invisible votes into my 2012 Rate the Song spreadsheet. With 88 votes (which is, by a fair amount, more votes than any song got in 2012 Rate the Song), Invisible has a mean rating of 7.69, with a standard deviation of 1.37 points. Putting it with the 2012 votes, this would put it in 83rd place among U2 songs, right below Mothers of the Disappeared, and right above When I Look at the World. It is a few ranks down from Vertigo, and rather far ahead of Boots.

Thoughts? Seems a little low to me. Obviously, though, it's hard to put too much stock in a comparison between Invisible's votes in 2014 and all of the other votes from 2012.

I put today's Invisible votes into my 2012 Rate the Song spreadsheet. With 88 votes (which is, by a fair amount, more votes than any song got in 2012 Rate the Song), Invisible has a mean rating of 7.69, with a standard deviation of 1.37 points. Putting it with the 2012 votes, this would put it in 83rd place among U2 songs, right below Mothers of the Disappeared, and right above When I Look at the World. It is a few ranks down from Vertigo, and rather far ahead of Boots.

Thoughts? Seems a little low to me. Obviously, though, it's hard to put too much stock in a comparison between Invisible's votes in 2014 and all of the other votes from 2012.

Hard to tell right now. It's hard to crack that top 50 but I'd rate it higher than 83.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

If it becomes apparent that we have awhile until the new album, I'll be tempted to run this whole thing again.

(But it takes three to six months to run, so it probably won't happen this year.)

That's probably a function of the unique voting environment. Voting for one song in isolation is likely to be lower, because there is no comparative analysis. I may rank my worst U2 song a 6, so then one above average probably gets an 8 or even 9 as a result. It would be lower for one song in isolation because you are either comparing it with nothing, or every song ever.

This seems fair from my perspective, but then I seem to disagree with the initial excitement at the moment. I had seriously low expectations and it's well cleared the bar in that regard, but it's no more than middle of the road in the context of the band's entire output. I'm just finding this an average late career song that isn't bad when it's on, has some good qualities, but at the end isn't memorable and doesn't compel me to return. I've played it four times now and still can barely remember how it goes, but when it's on I enjoy it as long as I ignore the shitty lyricism.

4 for now. Maybe it will grow on me.
I want ALT. Rock U2 Back!!!!!
War Era rock. This is to poppy and Cold
Playish style for my taste. I want rock with an Edge! Pun intended.

4 for now. Maybe it will grow on me.
I want ALT. Rock U2 Back!!!!!
War Era rock. This is to poppy and Cold
Playish style for my taste. I want rock with an Edge! Pun intended.

I hate to disappoint you, but I highly doubt that U2 will ever sound like they did in the War era again.

I hate to disappoint you, but I highly doubt that U2 will ever sound like they did in the War era again.

I know but I wish they would do some guitar driven stuff like some of their older songs . Bullet the blue sky and the Fly are a few examples. Is that part of
U2 gone forever?

I love how up until about 2006 on this forum, Coldplay were derided for being a U2 clone, and now anything U2 puts out is derided as a Coldplay copy.

Hell, I bet U2 could put out death metal and we'd get at least one "COLDPLAY!!!" post. Though that might come from me, taking the piss.

Back
Top Bottom