Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i still really like it, and though i take breaks from it, i enjoy it every time i return.

i suppose i agree with the initial criticism, that there's no obvious standout tune, or anything as transcendent as BD or COBL or MOS. but then again, there's no real dud here, either (except for Vol-ca-NO for me, but others like it).

i may be in the minority, but i love the album version of EBW and find it bracing and thrilling and just-80s-enough, and i don't really mind Miracle. i think The Troubles is the standout tune, and the direction i'd most like U2 to continue. i find the lyrics and the repeated verse mysterious and complex, it seems like it's about domestic violence, but it's really about Ireland, about using the construction of a familiar domestic abuse situation to explore what is really a dysfunctional relationship with Irishness -- in a post-colonial sense -- that the band sought to escape. the limitations on dreams and ambition that they've talked about in 1970s Dublin, they pushed back against that colonized mentality where you blame each other for your problems and hold each other back and the psychic toll exacted when you're forced to "take on the shape of someone else's pain." there's a lot going on in these songs, and lots of violence. it's always engaging, interesting listening. i'd say that "Iris" has grown the most for me, and as someone who has lost a parent tragically, the lyrics are now almost gut wrenching to listen to, and some of the strongest on the album.

i give it an 8, a solid mid-tier U2 album for me. i hope on SOE we get away from trying to rawk and reach for the stars a little more.

The Miracle 7.5/10
Invisible 10/10
Every Breaking Wave 6/10
California 9.5/10
Song For Someone 6.5/10
Iris 8.5/10
Volcano 7/10
Raised By Wolves 6/10
Cedarwood Road 8.5/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight 6.5/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now 10/10
The Troubles 7/10

Overall 7.75/10

5 months on, this safely resides in the upper half of U2's catalog for me. Very good album.

The Miracle 7.5/10
Invisible 10/10
Every Breaking Wave 6/10
California 9.5/10
Song For Someone 6.5/10
Iris 8.5/10
Volcano 7/10
Raised By Wolves 6/10
Cedarwood Road 8.5/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight 6.5/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now 10/10
The Troubles 7/10

Overall 7.75/10

5 months on, this safely resides in the upper half of U2's catalog for me. Very good album.

Reach really is a great tune isn't it! It might move up in my rankings very soon.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Have no idea where this is at by now but last I checked the ratings seem to indicate that the top 3 songs on this album are The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom and Invisible. Sounds perfectly right to me.

Sent from my ass crack

1 Reach
2 Invisible
3 Crystal Ballroom
4 Cedarwood Road
5 Every Breaking Wave
6 Iris
7 Raised By Wolves
8 Song For Someone
9 The Troubles
10 Volcano
11 Lucifer's Hands
12 Sleep Like A Baby
13 California
14 The Miracle

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I stopped listening to the album for about a week and just came back to it yesterday.

I can still say I really love this album. Songs that still excite me after all this time:

1-This is Where you can Reach me Now- I love the beat bass and drums, gonna love blasting this in the summer

2-Iris- the last half the song is just so rousing and I find myself singing along everytime. Edge is quietly driving this tune!

3- Sleep Like a Baby- That "dirty" guitar is kick ass

4-Volcano-I like this song a lot. The bass, the drums and yes that chorus is something I can't help but sing along to. I get how some of you don't like it but I dig it.

5- Every Breaking Wave- This is quickly moving up my all time U2 songs list. I love so many things about this song.

On the flip side, The Miracle has lost some of its luster. I still like the song but there is nothing pulling me back to it.

The Miracle lacks the punch that songs like Vertigo and Desire have. It's kinda just in between and doesn't really take it up a notch.

I stopped listening to the album for about a week and just came back to it yesterday.

I can still say I really love this album. Songs that still excite me after all this time:

1-This is Where you can Reach me Now- I love the beat bass and drums, gonna love blasting this in the summer

2-Iris- the last half the song is just so rousing and I find myself singing along everytime. Edge is quietly driving this tune!

4-Volcano-I like this song a lot. The bass, the drums and yes that chorus is something I can't help but sing along to. I get how some of you don't like it but I dig it.

5- Every Breaking Wave- This is quickly moving up my all time U2 songs list. I love so many things about this song.

On the flip side, The Miracle has lost some of its luster. I still like the song but there is nothing pulling me back to it.

:up:

The Miracle 9/10
Invisible 9.5/10
Every Breaking Wave 10/10
California 8/10
Song For Someone 9.5/10
Iris 8.5/10
Volcano 8/10
Raised By Wolves 7/10
Cedarwood Road 8/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight 9.5/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now 8/10
The Troubles 9.5/10
Crystal Ballroom 9/10
Ordinary Love 9/10
Lucifer's Hands 7.5/10

Overall 8.66/10

Conclusion: Loving most songs that U2 put out in 2014.

:up: but minus your comments about The Miracle as I still really enjoy this song and feel it's an excellent way to begin the album. :heart:

The Miracle 9/10
Invisible 9.5/10
Every Breaking Wave 10/10
California 8/10
Song For Someone 9.5/10
Iris 8.5/10
Volcano 8/10
Raised By Wolves 7/10
Cedarwood Road 8/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight 9.5/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now 8/10
The Troubles 9.5/10
Crystal Ballroom 9/10
Ordinary Love 9/10
Lucifer's Hands 7.5/10

Overall 8.66/10

Conclusion: Loving most songs that U2 put out in 2014.

:up:

Not going to rate song by song, as far as album goes best since ATYCLB possible even best since Achtung Baby. I said this in another thread, this would have so well between AB/Zooropa and ATYCLB. That's coming from a pop fan to. This is where you can reach me now is probably my favorite song since Mysterious Ways, and from track 5 on is VERY good. Even EBW is excellent , just think 1, 3, 4 are pretty avg.

Glad to see some deserved praise for my favorite track on a very tight album. Soldier Soldier :heart:

Can you believe we are nearly at 6 mos since its release?!

Soi

Six months after release and I think the album is holding up extremely well; as a lapsed fan of the '2 for many years, I am proud of the hometown boys that they created an album that's their best, arguably, since the mid 90s 'Zooropa'/'Passengers' era.

I've included the wonderful bonus tracks on my ipod version to make a 14-track opus ('Crystal Ballroom', 'Lucifers Hands', 'Invisible')

It's a rich album lyrically and musically; some of the highlights for me include 'This is where you can reach me now', 'Song for Someone', 'Sleep like a Baby Tonight', 'The Troubles', 'The Miracle' - honestly, the whole album resonates though.

Head and shoulders better than some of the other new albums by veteran acts, Noel Gallagher's new on for instance doesn't hold a candle to the emotional and visceral power of 'Songs of Innocence'.

Inspiring, a band 35+ years into the business, and creating - if not a classic - then a great album that get's better with time.

Listened to the album more lately. Needs another ranking.

The Miracle - 8.5/10
EBW - 10/10
California - 8.5/10
SFS - 8/10
Iris - 8.5/10
Volcano - 7.5/10
RBW - 8/10
Cedarwood Road - 8/10
Sleep Like A Baby - 7.5/10
Reach - 10/10
Troubles - 8.5/10
Invisible - 10/10
Crystal Ballroom - 9.5/10
Lucifer's Hands - 7.5/10
Ordinary Love (Epworth Mix) - 9/10

Gives it an 8.68 average which is significantly higher than the 7.4 average in January.

Six months on and the album still resonates for me. Clearly better than at least the last two albums, and possibly their best since the 90's. Miracle, EBW, California, Song for Someone, Iris, Raised by Wolves, and the perfect This is Where You Can Reach Me Now are all standouts.

The Miracle (8/10)
Every Breaking Wave (9/10)
California (8/10)
Song For Someone (5/10)
Iris (7/10)
Volcano (5/10)
Raised By Wolves (8/10)
Cedarwood Road (8/10)
Sleep Like A Baby (7/10)
Reach Me Now (10/10)
The Troubles (8/10)
Invisible (10/10)
Crystal Ballroom (8/10)
Lucifer's Hands (6/10)

The Miracle - 7 / 10
Every Breaking Wave - 10 / 10
California - 10 / 10
Song for Someone - 8 / 10
Iris - 10 / 10
Volcano - 7 / 10
Raised by Wolves - 6 / 10
Cedarwood Road - 10 / 10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - 9 / 10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now - 10 / 10
The Troubles - 10 / 10

Invisible - 10 / 10
The Crystal Ballroom - 8 / 10
Lucifer's Hands - 6 / 10

8.6 - rating still stands.

I love this album just as much as I did on September 10th(it took me a day to soak it in).

This album rocks!

Every Breaking Wave is in my top 15 favorite U2 songs. It is absolutely a beautiful song that has so many layers, I am baffled it wasn't a hit.

California
Iris
Volcano
Reach me know
Song for Someone

All are really good songs.

Even the "extras" on this album are awesome!!!

Crystal Ballroom
Invisible

Love this album!

This is my favourite U2 album since Pop. While it doesn't have any obvious massive hits, it also doesn't have any 'filler' tracks which makes it consistently strong. Usually after a few months of listening to a new U2 record, I start to skip one or two songs, but I'm still playing the entire record all the way through now.

On the 'official' album, the track I look forward to hearing most is actually Volcano, which is probably different to most people's taste. I just love the rawness of the song and that amazing base. I think some people find it irritating and silly but I think it's awesome.

However, if they included Invisible and Crystal Ballroom on the record then they would be my top 2 songs. Can't believe they left them off but at least we have them in some form. I think they should have saved Invisible for the album and used that at the Apple launch.

The Miracle - 6.5/10
Every Breaking Wave - 7/10
California - 7/10
Song for Someone - 7.5/10
Iris - 8/10
Volcano - 8.5/10
Raised by Wolves - 8/10
Cedarwood Road - 7.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - 8.5/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now - 8.5/10
The Troubles - 8.5/10

Invisible - 9/10
The Crystal Ballroom - 9.5/10
Lucifer's Hands - 7.5/10

The Miracle - 7/10
Every Breaking Wave - 10/10
California - 7/10
Song for Someone - 8/10
Iris - 8/10
Volcano - 7/10
Raised by Wolves - 9/10
Cedarwood Road - 8/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - 9/10
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now - 7/10
The Troubles - 9/10

Invisible - 7/10
The Crystal Ballroom - 7/10
Lucifer's Hands - 8/10

Overall, the cohesiveness really makes this a true album instead of a song collection. I can feel their stories. Feels like a War album, but without a strong rock anthem like SBS or NYD, but also has better consistency.

Now that the tour has gotten rolling pretty strong, I'll try this again.

The Miracle - 8/10
Every Breaking Wave - 8/10
California - 7/10
Song For Someone - 7/10
Iris - 7/10
Volcano - 6/10
Raised By Wolves - 10/10
Cedarwood Road - 8/10
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - 9/10
Reach Me Now - 9/10
Troubles - 9/10
Lucifer's Hands - 6/10
Invisible - 10/10
Crystal Ballroom - 8/10

The Miracle| 7
EBW| 8.5
California| 7.5
SFS| 8
Iris| 8.5
Volcano| 8.5
RBW| 9
Cedarwood Rd| 8.5
SLABT| 9.5
TIWYCRMN| 9.5
The Troubles| 10
Lucifer's Hands| 7.5
The Crystal Ballroom| 10
Invisible|10
Ordinary Love| 7.5

The ratings would be 1-2 points lower on the Joshua Tree scale.

The Miracle - 7/10

Every Breaking Wave - 10/10

California - 8/10

Song For Someone - 10/10

Iris - 9/10

Volcano - 8/10

Raised By Wolves - 9/10

Cedarwood Road - 9/10

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - 6/10

Reach Me Now - 5/10

Troubles - 9/10

----------------------