Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My best to worst list:

1 - The Troubles - The best by quite some distance. Really good song and lyrics
2 - Cedarwood Road - Solid track, enjoyable listen
3 - Raised By Wolves - Memorable chorus, could have made a good single
4 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Like the tune, need to be in the mood for it though
5 - Song For Someone - Liked it a lot at first. Dropped a bit due to sounding a little average, but still decent
6 - Volcano - Single material
7 - Iris (Hold Me Close) - Liked it, but nothing more than just that really
8 - California (There Is No End To Love) - Didn't like at all at first. Slightly grew on me because I like the sound and the verses, but the song seems to be lacking a hook IMO
9 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Just average to me
10 - Every Breaking Wave - Not a bad song per se, but SO VERY BORING
11 - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - Really not my thing

Oh, and Invisible, TCB, and LH would all make the top 4 alongside The Troubles. U2 tend to leave my favourites off their albums lately

Creatively there's lots of interesting ideas going on and for U2's standards at this stage of their career, and album sounding as good Sonically as SOI is a real bonus for us fans in my opinion.

Lyrically it's one of their best records, not too many "rough sketches" going on in these songs. Where it falls away a little bit is firstly the choice for first single. "The Miracle" is actually quite a weak track and the more I listen to it, the more it bores me, it's really stuck in the middle of good song to just plain boring.

Every breaking wave is one of the better songs they've released in the past 10 years, should have been on NLOTH and if that was the case, then maybe there would be less unfair criticism and more positive thoughts about that record.

Songs like Raised By Wolves and Volcano are decent but it just screams of over production and too much tinkering, the definition of trying to get that big hit echoes throughout SOI.

The best track on SOI is Iris, without a doubt. Emotionally heart wrenching throughout and a track they did great justice to live on the I+E tour, love Edge's chord progression in the chorus too.

The main thing that bothers me is the production of the entire album, it seems coated in unnecessary effects, especially Bono's voice. Over produced but a good effort with some great lyrical and sonic ideas.

Here's to hoping SOE is more of a Rock album, and with the help of Steve Lillywhite, RAW!

SOI - 6.5/10

8/10

Some of the strongest songwriting of the post-Pop era. The album's at its best when it's on the "formative experiences" theme. The first three tracks are good but aren't well connected thematically. The best suite comes from SFS to Cedarwood Road, where it's all about growing up. They get slightly more experimental with the last three tracks, but the album looses the theme. I think Sleep is the weakest song on the album, and you all will shoot me for saying that. The Troubles is the best album closer since Love is Blindness. Apart from the release method, the main point of contention seems to be the production. I've never had much of a problem with it, but I do admit these songs sound better live when they were more raw.

Top Songs:
Iris
Raised by Wolves
Every Breaking Wave
The Miracle

Last edited:
Great album as a collective but not a stand out song. I actually like them all and never skip a track

Great album as a collective but not a stand out song. I actually like them all and never skip a track

This!

I still love this album and would rank EBW as one of my top 20 U2 songs (maybe top 15) but this is a collective experience for me.

What a great album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Still hasnt grown on me... It feels cold, sterile and just doesnt sound like U2 somethings off for me. IMO NLOTH has much higher highs. SOI is just kinda middle of the road. The production really stands out when I have U2 on shuffle. I do like Sleep on the record and also TCB. RBW, and CR live I also enjoyed.

As has been said a lot before. This album is strong because of its consistency. While i think Bomb was also consistent, i found it consistently mediocre, while i find SOI consistently strong.

The Troubles is just an amazing tune and my favorite on the album
EBW is one of my favorites and i think stands in the upper echelon in the bands catalog.
RBW is incredible, unique, strong mix of old and new U2
SLABT would fit snuggly on POP and is another album highlight
Volcano is shockingly badmouthed around these parts, but its this perfect blend of boy/October era feeling with 2000's U2 feeling. Just a cool song in my opinion.
California is probably my 5th favorite. Love the intro. Just a well put together song.
Iris has grown on me and I do enjoy it lyrically
Cedarwood is another one that I like, but not my favorite. Wish the "tougher" sound that it starts with carried through the song.
Miracle is well. Miracle. Average
Reach is one that i just don't get into, and yes i know i am in the minority around here.
SFS is another that i like well enough, but don't look forward to it. Has some sections that are great, but overall just too average.
Crystal Ballroom is right up there with The Troubles for me. Such a great song, and would have been a great first single.

Still don't skip any on this album

Still my favorite album since POP.

7.5 outta 10
8 outta 10 if TCB would have been included.

I took the closest listen I have to SoI in over a year.

Iris, Raised By Wolves, and The Troubles are some great U2 songs. Everything else ranges from good to mediocre. Mircale has grown on me quite a bit.

Really the only song I don't care for is TIWYCRMN, which is interesting because it's a pretty unique U2 song. It's funny because something as wide-swinging like Mofo from Pop can still feel like a U2 song, but TIWYCRMN doesn't.

Hard to put a rating on it, or compare it. Nothing on it quite reaches the highs of HTDAAB or NLOTH, but it's a better overall package than either of them.

Back
Top Bottom