Rate: No Line on the Horizon Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is NLOTH?

• 10: Best

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • 9: Masterpiece

Votes: 240 28.9%
  • 8: Extraordinary

Votes: 246 29.6%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 152 18.3%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 91 11.0%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 4: Mediocre

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • 3: Bad

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 2: Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Worst

Votes: 8 1.0%

• Total voters
To the people who are rating it mediocre or average or even good, I definitely get why. I voted good. If you listen to the album, it's evident that nothing was spared in terms of garnishing songs and changing sounds but it all feels very contrived. There are also a few key ingredients missing.

If you listen to The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby (maybe even a little Zooropa), these albums sound purposeful, let somewhat effortless. This time around, it feels as if they were done sounding American, done sounding European and were now hell-bent on gaining inspiration from another continent. I felt the whole Morocco thing was covered enough in "Mysteryious Ways" and thus, the video. This sounds a little uninspired, a little weak and a little choppy. Its almost as if they tried too hard a few times (Stand Up Comedy, Fez-Being Born, Breathe) and therefore do not end up with the linear emotion of songs like "Pride", "One", "Where The Streets Have No Name", "New Years Day" and a hundred other songs that stand out in that respect.

If you notice, on HTDAAB, Bono hits strident notes during the middle eight of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" and "Original Of The Species". This amazing sound, reminiscent of the powerful vocal break of "With Or Without You", is obviously missing from ANY song on the album.

On top of all this, it sounds very...depressing. This thing makes the October album look like a Disney production. It's said that depressing movies don't do well in a recession and I'm guessing the same goes for music too. After track 5 the album drops off dramatically and seems to become instantly forgettable. We get to hear about how long it takes a soldier to bleed to death, the commentary of a war reporter and the mish-mash that is "Fez-Being Born". The stand outs seem to be the more uplifting ones such as "No Line On The Horizon", "Magnificent" (although barely uplifting...just serious but fast-paced) and "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight".

This is good for a second or third album. This is not an impressive creation from a band of this caliber. ATYCLB was a great reawakening, but the driving force behind that was emotion and a sense of optimism. This is just like reveling in doom and gloom.

"What would you do differently?" is what I was asked by a friend of mine. My reply is pretty simple. I would breathe life into the 2nd half of the album. There are lots of ways to do it. Do some crazy stuff, shake it up a bit. Maybe a song sung by The Edge...that would be a nice surprise and blast from the past. Maybe the Bass can take a more prominent role. Maybe speedup the tempos, maybe cut out a few minor chords (not that it always matters). How about a little less death and war and a little more life and peace? A little more "Beautiful Day" and A LOT less "Oh, Emanuelle". If you want to be depressed, put on the news...check your portfolio...apply for a mortgage. By the way, we know theres a war going on and it isn't pretty.

If I had to rename his album, I think I would take the predominant theme of the album and put it ito one simple expression. Rather than go all out and name it "Depression", I think I would keep it consistent with what they were constantly reminding us of during this album. Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you my suggestion for this album......."War"

^^ok thats ur opinion ur in the minority im sure youre a nice person but anyone with any sense knows the posting things like that is a suicide wish on this forum

o and i voted 9:love:

I can't really judge the album until the tour's underway, to see if the songs thrive or dive live. As of today, though, I think it's right there in the top 3, with AB and JT, and possibly the best of those three. Moment of Surrender is my all time favorite U2 song.

ATYCLB was a great reawakening, but the driving force behind that was emotion and a sense of optimism. This is just like reveling in doom and gloom.

Are you kidding me? You place Achtung in the upper echelon of U2 albums but condemn NLOTH for being too depressing?

for some reason i think that was said sarcasticly :huh:

orly.jpeg

Almost 500 votes, and the current score looks to be 8.08

Which means the average opinion of the album hasn't really changed from the initial score of 8.3....which is pretty amazing considering some of the polarization of opinion on this forum.

The album still stands at extraordinary, with a little weight toward a masterpiece.

PS: I want your opinion on whether we could do a poll like this for every album, so we can get a definitive Interference ranking of the U2 albums.

I can only imagine the frustration someone has to feel to join a forum to make one negative post.

No, I'm still here. You're right about the frustration part. I waited 5 years!

I didn't join to submit a negative post and walk away. I wish I had a better opinion of the album. They've been, far and away, my favorite band since 1988. I just can't see how this collection of songs "gel" together.

I wonder what the songs recorded with Rick Rubin sound like compared to this.

we should almost start a new poll tomorrow or wednesday, to see how people feel a week later.

we should almost start a new poll tomorrow or wednesday, to see how people feel a week later.

I was thinking, but really I feel that a poll should be started further down the road....like in July or August. Seeing how they feel six months from now and comparing from this initial poll would give the best conclusion on how lasting this album really is.

Are you kidding me? You place Achtung in the upper echelon of U2 albums but condemn NLOTH for being too depressing?

No, I'm not kidding you.

Achtung baby was perhaps one of the most original albums I've ever heard. It just happens to be by my favorite band. They put the lighter-hearted stuff at the opening sides of the album and get deeper as time goes on, which I guess happens on this one too, its just that the gears shift too rapidly.

Achtung Baby had a lot of songs about relationships, I don't recall death being a theme on Achtung Baby. On top of heavier songs such as WGRYWH, SC, Acrobat and Love is blindness, you had songs that successfully counter-balance those songs. It also had a fresh, distinct-sounding Teutonic feel to it. Overall, what I take away from the Achtung Baby album is - Sometimes things are good, and sometimes they're bad...in the meantime we can hold on to each other.

Even the darkest songs on Achtung are linear. The Fly can be considered dark, but put that song on in your car and you'll soon be exceeding the speed limit. The same goes for Ultraviolet and acrobat. Love is Blindness is purposely dark, but not hopeless. U2 was always so unique because as Brian Eno put it (in the making of The Unforgettable Fire) "U2's music is a direct result of the four men themselves, not their instruments". The emotion drives the song. U2's brilliance is the interpretation of the song and bringing it to us.

This time around it sounds like they had too many parts for too many songs. I don't think they faltered, I think they purposely sought out to sound this way. I just don't get why. If Achtung Baby was a depressing album (let's say) why would they want to go down that road again? If you ask me, This is a regurgitation of Pop but with a more desperate sound.

It's just not enough. When they are using themselves as a gauge, they have an uphill battle. As a musician myself, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are the last albums I would ever want to go up against. Those albums are beyond most people's degree of comprehension. The songs are just like nothing else in the world. There's a good feeling that lasts when the songs from those albums end. After most songs from this album end, I'm left baffled by why they chose some of them after it was reported that they had 50-60 songs to pick from.

Green Day and Coldplay are going to have an easy time in 2009.

I still love and support them, I just want them to get back on the ball.

Amazon.com is full of posts like this one i just read :

I've been a U2 fan since 1985.

Joshua Tree (Struggle), Achtung Baby (Reinvention), Unforgettable Fire (Political), Zooropa/POP (Experimentation) are not only great records, they are probably right there with the best ever made in music's history.

I literally worshiped these guys; I even made a pilgrimage trip to Dublin.

And then came the "Greatest Rock Band" job, and saving the world, and squeezing out as much money as possible out of fans -overpriced concert seats, super-duper-deluxe editions, Canned-Spam DVDs, etc.- Bono's voice decided to retire, mingling with politicians, houses in Cote D'Azur, re-distribution of profit among band members, etc... and everything went to hell. It went from a band to a brand, with crappy marketing department and greedy CEO included. The lads from the north side became another can of Mayo. And a really bad Mayo.

With the exception of 2 or three songs in this record, it is as bad as the previous 2 -that also had 2 or 3 good songs each. The previous 2 never grew on me, and this one is not doing it as well. These guys can't afford to have just 2 or 3 good songs in their records. They are (were) U2.

They had one more shot and they lost me for good with this one.

Good bye.

...................................................................................................................

Why do people always have to state that they have been a fan for x amount of years, just to write a bad review?

...................................................................................................................

Why do people always have to state that they have been a fan for x amount of years, just to write a bad review?

They want to feel more important.

See, when I'll go there and write: "I've been a fan since 1995 and I love NLOTH, it's really great."... my opinion will seem less valid and less important next to this guy... :der:

They want to feel more important.

See, when I'll go there and write: "I've been a fan since 1995 and I love NLOTH, it's really great."... my opinion will seem less valid and less important next to this guy... :der:

Really? I wouldn't say that is realistic at all.

I think what they (and I) mean when they put how long they have been fans before posting negative emotions is an effort to express that they aren't blindly criticising a band they deeply respect. It may also suggest that they know enough about the band's previous work to perhaps have their opinions seen as validated.

Really? I wouldn't say that is realistic at all.

I think what they (and I) mean when they put how long they have been fans before posting negative emotions is an effort to express that they aren't blindly criticising a band they deeply respect. It may also suggest that they know enough about the band's previous work to perhaps have their opinions seen as validated.

Well to be honest you do the same on this site, and sorry but your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone elses, just because you dont like the album, doesnt mean everyone else in the world thinks its crap etc.

Achtung Tree: you don't think Crazy tonight, Boots and Stand up comedy (and Breathe) lift the mood of the album ?

Back
Top Bottom