Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One more day in these new Boots and I might jump the gun and finally rate here. I'm at 7.5 and I can't decide if 8 is too high or 7 is too low. :hmm:

pretty much as i expected..75% love it, from the posts it seems a lot of people don't like it, but then you realize its the same people complaining.

it's nothing revolutionary, but its a great first single and it fuckin rocks!!! if they play this right, this could be a big hit i think. in the end who cares, i'm glad they are trying new stuff.

i don't know how you can listen to this song and all the guitars, backing vocals, etc etc etc, and compare it to Vertigo. Vertigo was great, but this is better. Time will tell if it can match veritgo live though, which was incredible.

Really disappointed with this single. It's not the worst song ever or the worst song by U2, but it just fails to catch my attention, even after repeated listens. I hope the rest of the album is better than this.

I doubt they spent 4 years to work specifically on the first single.

First, they've worked on the album for two years. Vertigo Tour ended 12-06, and yes, they write as they go, but still, lets be real. I'm sure "Boots" wasn't the struggle with the album and why it took awhile to release, aside it from being U2 standard operating procedure. There's a lot of production and sounds in Boots as well, which could add to the time frame, but I've got a feeling that Boots was one of the easiest songs for them to write and bang out, but I'm just guessing that. To me it just feels like the brunt work on the album will have been done on songs like "White as Snow", "Magnificent", and "Stand Up Comedy" etc...especially Stand Up Comedy, which I'm pretty sure began as For Your Love, so that's seen some changes, and Bono struggled writing the lyric as evidenced by the Rolling Stone piece.

Anyway, I think people are too hung up on the time thing.

You're being seriously harsh - this is in a different league to Beautiful Day or vertigo - this is a much stronger song - I think your friends will hear it anyway and be pleasantly surprised.

I think you are pigeon-holeing the band a bit - they're going to get a lot of new fans from this song.

stop deluding yourself!!!

stop deluding yourself!!!

Why is he deluding himself?
I think the same... why am I deluding myself?

Fine... you don't like... you think it sucks big time.
But don't go telling other people that you know more than themselves.

That's just BS mate.

Some of you like to cite the fact 75% of people on Interference love this song, but look at the number of U2 fans who thought of it as average (4-6 range) or horrible (3 and under). 25% is not a small number for interference. If this many dedicated U2 fans (those who appreciated the band enough to sign up in a fan forum) didn't care for the song, how many casual fans is going to think this song is a hit?

i gave this song a 2. awful stuff.

Some of you like to cite the fact 75% of people on Interference love this song, but look at the number of U2 fans who thought of it as average (4-6 range) or horrible (3 and under). 25% is not a small number for interference. If this many dedicated U2 fans (those who appreciated the band enough to sign up in a fan forum) didn't care for the song, how many casual fans is going to think this song is a hit?

Well actually for Interference, 25% IS a small number.

I'm surprised there are so many who like the song. I expected more bashing.

Same here.

But this poll needs to be redone in about 3 months. I'm sure the results will be very different.

I like Boots now, but I think this, like Vertigo, is a song you can easily get sick off very fast.

Hard to say what the casual fan will think. For what it's worth I do know that at the Gn'R forum I post at, out of 11 members(not including me) who have taken the time to comment on the song the approval rating looks like this.

:up: - 7

:down: - 4

Heard it for the first time and my first impression was "what the f*** was that??". Very unusual track, lots going on, not radio friendly as others have said, but it left me feeling very excited and dying to hear it again. When I first heard Vertigo I was impressed but wasn't that excited, it sounded quite familiar, but on first listen "boots" is like nothing I've heard before, a bit like I felt when I first heard The Fly, though they sound nothing alike they're both very thrilling. Got to say, I love it.

Yeah I don't get this whole 'give the song time to grow on you.' I think a really great song hits you the first time you listen to it.

Speaking personally, I don't think this is true, more often than not, songs that I generally love are ones that grow on me, especially U2 songs. For example, the first time they played the fly on the radio I tape recorded it and had to listen to it about 20 times before I could get my head around it, now it's my favourite U2 song of all time, but I know it's different for other people.

Speaking personally, I don't think this is true, more often than not, songs that I generally love are ones that grow on me, especially U2 songs. For example, the first time they played the fly on the radio I tape recorded it and had to listen to it about 20 times before I could get my head around it, now it's my favourite U2 song of all time, but I know it's different for other people.

Definitely agree here. Songs grow on me and creep up and suddenly become new favorites. I overlooked So Cruel for a long time on AB, and now it's one of my favorites. It makes me look forward to still getting new favorites from songs I currently don't rank super high.

Definitely agree here. Songs grow on me and creep up and suddenly become new favorites. I overlooked So Cruel for a long time on AB, and now it's one of my favorites. It makes me look forward to still getting new favorites from songs I currently don't rank super high.

So Cruel is actually one of the few that I loved immediately, I think it has one of the greatest Bono vocals, I never get tired of hearing it.

I'm surprised that there's a noticeable amount of people not 100% eating up Boots.

Given the love of this forum for experimental and 90's U2, I would have thought everyone and their mother would love it.

So Cruel is actually one of the few that I loved immediately, I think it has one of the greatest Bono vocals, I never get tired of hearing it.

:up: That's what I love about U2. There is so much to love, and everyone seems to find them at different times, or just find different things all together. I think I was so overwhelmed with loving songs like The Fly, One, LIB, MW, EBTTRT... I somehow overlooked So Cruel. But yes, the vocals are amazing and it's one of my favorite U2 songs ever now, not just AB songs.

Hard to say what the casual fan will think. For what it's worth I do know that at the Gn'R forum I post at, out of 11 members(not including me) who have taken the time to comment on the song the approval rating looks like this.

:up: - 7

:down: - 4

U2's new single: Is 'Get on Your Boots' any good? | PopWatch Blog | EW.com
Read the fan comments, not the journalistic review. Many many people turned off.

Here's a poll in which more than half of the people didn't like the song:
New U2 "Get on Your Boots" — Love It or Leave It? | U2, Pop Poll | PopSugar - Celebrity Gossip & News

Only 37% liked the song on this poll on EOnline:
We Want U2 Get Your Thoughts On - E! Online

As many harsh comments as there were praises in rollingstone blogs:
U2’s New Single “Get On Your Boots” Hits iTunes Early : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

:up: That's what I love about U2. There is so much to love, and everyone seems to find them at different times, or just find different things all together. I think I was so overwhelmed with loving songs like The Fly, One, LIB, MW, EBTTRT... I somehow overlooked So Cruel. But yes, the vocals are amazing and it's one of my favorite U2 songs ever now, not just AB songs.

I agree 100%, there is so much to love on that album! SO so much, and with the band in general! This new song has really energised my love for U2!

Back
Top Bottom