Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^I won't hear it again until the album comes out.

I mean, I'll try to :wink:

I gave it a 7/10. But now I'd probably give it an 8/10 because it is now that it is really growing on me, becoming very catchy, and I've found myself singing it. Weird.

^Music is subjective.

How hard is that for to people understand??

It's time for a new tune, MrMacphisto. If music is subjective, then these are only opinions....opinions that we all have a right to voice.

Here's an exercise for you. After every negative statement you read on this forum about this song, just add the words "to me" at the end. For instance, "This song sucks" becomes "This song sucks to me". The "to me" is understood, like your obsession with using the phrase "music is subjective".

^If you get annoyed then don't read my posts mate.
I just get bored with people that talk like if they're right and other are wrong. There's a lot of people that talked bad about the song and I've no problem with it.

The more I heard vertigo, after initially loving it, the more I got tired of it. Boots seems to be working in opposite, the more I hear it the more I like it and the catchier it gets.

Being able to follow the rythm of the vocals in the verses helps a lot too, the vocal melody in the verses are really cool! and work well with the chorus, "you don't know how" because the corus is slow and drawn out, while the verses are at break-neck speed. They act as a nice balance in their inherent differences!

And the bridge is just awesomeness!!!:drool::hyper::drool::hyper:

^If you get annoyed then don't read my posts mate.
I just get bored with people that talk like if they're right and other are wrong. There's a lot of people that talked bad about the song and I've no problem with it.

I'll read your posts because they are there to be read. If you don't want me to read them, don't post anymore.

Then read them, and understand why I'm doing something.
If you don't, ask me or say what bothers you. You did. I've said why I do it.
Still a problem. There's always the ignore list.

Cheers mate.

Then read them, and understand why I'm doing something.
If you don't, ask me or say what bothers you. You did. I've said why I do it.
Still a problem. There's always the ignore list.

Cheers mate.

Oh I understand why you're doing it. But turn this around...do you see me telling someone who liked the song to keep their positive opinions to themselves because music is subjective? It's the least productive statement anyone can make. Luckily, there are other more thought-out arguments to soak in or else this board would be dead.

Oh I understand why you're doing it. But turn this around...do you see me telling someone who liked the song to keep their positive opinions to themselves because music is subjective? It's the least productive statement anyone can make. Luckily, there are other more thought-out arguments to soak in or else this board would be dead.

I've admit that the quote you used from me... I said that when I was already upset.
But I like to keep things simple and what do you tell to a guy that says things along these lines:
"You're ridiculous. How can you say it's better than *whatever*? You're wrong"
Argue with these people is pointless, so I say the most basic thing: Music is subjective. I hope they'll stop posting nonsense and present arguments that explain their opinions. And mostly, stop talking to people like if they know more than the other persons. Probably won't happen.
I really don't care about other people's opinion to be sincere.

Here's what I said in the other thread that got closed about the only thing I am not such a huge fan of, Bono's vocals:

It means that it's got more to do with psychology than it does with his voice. In his singing he just seems way too eager to impress, sound cool and hip, trying hard to 'fit in' somewhere. Analogy: like your 50 year old daddy trying to hard to impress you and your friends so that you think he's cool. Compare his sound now to the sound he had even up to Popmart. Listen to most of the songs pre-ATYCLB and you'll see what I'm talking about. His voice had this aura of assurance and coolness to it.

But even then it is a nice, crisp, clear voice so I can't complain.

I gave it a 7. over time, that # could go up or down.

Compared to current music on the radio, I give GOYB an 11.

Here's what I said in the other thread that got closed about the only thing I am not such a huge fan of, Bono's vocals:

It means that it's got more to do with psychology than it does with his voice. In his singing he just seems way too eager to impress, sound cool and hip, trying hard to 'fit in' somewhere. Analogy: like your 50 year old daddy trying to hard to impress you and your friends so that you think he's cool. Compare his sound now to the sound he had even up to Popmart. Listen to most of the songs pre-ATYCLB and you'll see what I'm talking about. His voice had this aura of assurance and coolness to it.

But even then it is a nice, crisp, clear voice so I can't complain.

I'm glad you brought this up again for the other thread got closed before I got to read this...

I don't buy this at all, not one bit!!!

This is his voice. I don't see how anyone can read this much into his voice, it's quite silly to be honest.

Now if he was trying to change his voice to sound a paticular way, i.e. if he all of a sudden tried to sing with a deeper tight lipped tone like Eddie Vedder then I would agree with you, but this is his voice.

The only time I can think of where you could tell Bono was specifically trying to change his voice to sound a paticular way was on If You Wear That Velvet Dress, he was definately trying a deeper Gavin Friday sex voice...

From the looks of the poll, it seems like way more people like it than dislike it so I wonder where are all the people that like it? Because judging from all the discussions here it seems the haters are doing most of the posting. Come on lovers, don't be scared, come out and show your support!

From the looks of the poll, it seems like way more people like it than dislike it so I wonder where are all the people that like it? Because judging from all the discussions here it seems the haters are doing most of the posting. Come on lovers, don't be scared, come out and show your support!

OK. I see Boots sort of like this. It probably isn't the best song on the album, nor is it supposed to be. Everybody is comparing it to the singles from the 80s like Pride, or With or Without You, or The Fly in terms of song quality and how it's not on their level. First off, it's 2009, not 1985 or 1987 or 1991. If it were I'd be -2, almost born and 4 so probably not on a computer. :wink: Anyway, music and radio has obviously changed. Vertigo isn't/wasn't the best song off Atomic Bomb as well. What's my point? That it's not fair to really compare the quality of Boots to The Fly. In terms of shock factor, I can't imagine it's quite as high.

I see Boots as just an attention grabber that has enough odd parts to it to say huh, it looks like they're onto something different here. The comparisons to Vertigo should end after the sing-speak type of verses. The lyrics are very, very good and seem to be getting slammed by people who don't bother actually trying to listen and just go "lol it's vertigo again lol", or "lol 4 years to say let me in the sound."

Anyway, the chorus was initially my least favorite part of the song. But now it's quickly becoming my favorite part, "You don't get it, do you?" It's pretty cool to me because I've never really heard Edge that low in a long time, if ever. The breakdown is unlike anything U2 have done and pretty bad ass, and culminates at the end with the edge using a i guess Crunchy? guitar tone for the main riff, which is bad ass.

Do I think it'll be a massive hit in the US? probably not, but what is? Lady GaGa? Yikes. It would help if iTunes counted both versions of Boots in their charts as one, because yesterday it was as high as 13 and 35, which surely would have to be good for the top 5.

I didn't like the song the first one or two times I listened to it, but I didn't dislike it. A few days later and I really really like, if not love the song. Will it be in say, top 20 U2 songs of all time? It's possible depending on who it transitions to the live setting- which I think it will do very very well.

I also love the production on it, and every time I listen on head phones, I seem to hear something else on it. So from this fan, very well done U2.

Good point...from the general tone around here, I never would have guessed that only 10% voted it 5 or lower! So 90% of us range from "like it ok" to "absolutely love it". Not bad.

Well, Sicy, I posted my opinion on the other thread, but, as it usually happens, it got hijacked by two or three "haters" discussing how bad it was over and over again, that's why I thought, ok I'm doing the poll, but I'm not going to explain myself, my opinion will be sunk in a minute.

But, right, I'll do. I needed more than two listenings to start liking the song, at the very beginning I thought it sounded unfinished, but it's growing on me, every time I listen to it I find it better, I can hear different things that escaped from me the previous times. I like the new sense of freshness it has and its playfulness, I liked HTDAAB quite a lot, even if I don't think its a masterpiece, but I have always thought they were getting too serious about themselves again, well, here they are, much more relaxed, they talk about what they always have, but this time they seem to be enjoying themselves and I enjoy dancing along with them. The song may not be a supermasterpiece that will be remembered with Streets, WOWY, One, etc..., but is very good and I think I can learn to love it.
In my opinion it's a wonderful departing point for the new album.

I really dont feel like people should judge the whole album from one song, especially a single. I love Boots, I gave it a 10 and at first I let the haters drag me down but every time I listen to it, I think, I dont CARE what everyone else things, I love it and that's all that matters.

I often wonder, why cant people just be happy that U2 is BACK! It's so freaking exciting to me. I cant WAIT to hear the rest of the album. Instead, every little aspect of everything U2 does gets picked apart beyond ridiculousness. Everyone's a critic when its not them. U2 is making millions and are so successful. Are YOU?? Well then.

/end rant :wink:

Initially I gave it a 7. I must admit that, having listened to the beach clips beforehand, I came to the song with a distorted idea of what to expect, so the finished song took me by surprise. However, now that I've heard it a few more times, especially blasting from my car stereo, it really does sound great! It's really interesting hearing it on the radio 'cause it's in context of what else is out there musically, and it highlights just how good and adventurous the band is :) Can't wait to hear it live!

I give it an 8. On the first listen, I really didn't like it, but from the second time on, my love for it grows. Is it their best work? Absolutely not, but it's still U2, and it's still awesome.:love:

I have already been outted.

Everyone knows that if I were a woman, I'd go bang the band. (provided I could leave my own boobs alone and get out the door) :wink:

Im a 8, i think its a bloody tune. Its a grower, it got better after every listen.

I really dont feel like people should judge the whole album from one song, especially a single. I love Boots, I gave it a 10 and at first I let the haters drag me down but every time I listen to it, I think, I dont CARE what everyone else things, I love it and that's all that matters.

I often wonder, why cant people just be happy that U2 is BACK! It's so freaking exciting to me. I cant WAIT to hear the rest of the album. Instead, every little aspect of everything U2 does gets picked apart beyond ridiculousness. Everyone's a critic when its not them. U2 is making millions and are so successful. Are YOU?? Well then.

:up:

Personally I gave the song a 10 because I honestly do LOVE it! Yeah it's not one of the U2's masterpieces but it's a fun song! Whenever I hear it I get excited and can't help but to sing along and dance to it.

Actually, you wouldn't know if I'm successful or not, would you? Why would you make assumptions about these things? Could it be because people who post here regularly have no life? (That's an assumption as well, you see.)

You're a mod. You think only people who hate the song pick it apart? U2 gets picked apart across the aisle as well. The people who liked the song has already offered a thousand different lyric interpretations. They're debating if the song is in 4/4 or 6/8. They're in amazement because of the "innovative" guitar distortion and the "crispness" of Bono's voice. They're wondering if anything on the radio is better than this song---an apples-to-oranges comparison, if you ask me. They're tabbing the song on GuitarPro. They're making a dozen unnecessary remixes. Do you get my point? I figured mods would welcome all opinions and keep things fair. Seems disingenuous and hypocritical for mods to try to influence the discussion a certain way.

:doh:

You didn't understand Sicy post at all........

Anyway. I gave it a 7 but... Can I change my vote to 9? The groove is awsome in this song... I hate dancing but when I'm listening to this song the only think I want to dance :heart:

Back
Top Bottom