Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok so at first I rated boots as a 7. But now, after 500 listens, a 5 feels more appropriate. It just made me want to listen to Discotheque instead.

Im so glad boots is pathologically hated by some. U2's best songs are pathologically hated, as such this song has something about it.

I don't see how it matters that people on the internet seem to hate boots. Hate is the most common thing on the internet, so I don't think it counts for anything.

Ever gone to youtube and randomly check clips and the comments? Even the really good music stuff get BITCHED badly, just because these kids have no life outside of the internet and spend it by bitching others.

I don't see how it matters that people on the internet seem to hate boots. Hate is the most common thing on the internet, so I don't think it counts for anything.

Ever gone to youtube and randomly check clips and the comments? Even the really good music stuff get BITCHED badly, just because these kids have no life outside of the internet and spend it by bitching others.

Seriously :up: It's the anonymity thing. You don't see so many trolls and haters in real life because they'd get punched in the face. It's like so many people think the internet gives them free license to be an asshole about everything including things they know nothing about. Not that anyone here is doing that. :wink: Just sayin'.

I'd give it an 8. It's not the greatest thing U2 has ever done, but it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Ok so at first I rated boots as a 7. But now, after 500 listens, a 5 feels more appropriate. It just made me want to listen to Discotheque instead.

500 listens to a song you now rate a 5?

Seriously I don't get this, you guys are playing the song to death in a couple of days and then complaining; I've never even listened a song 500 times :lol:

oh wow, are you listening to yourself? so are you saying only positive opinions of this song count? amazing....you superfans are so desperate for U2 to succeed, you'll convince yourself of anything. look, they'll win their grammies and sell their millions of records just like they've been doing. be satisfied with that. but don't devalue other people's opinion just because they don't match your own.

Seriously I don't get this, you guys are playing the song to death in a couple of days and then complaining; I've never even listened a song 500 times :lol:

it seems like our friend there was trying to give the song a chance. i took 3 listens and gave it a 2. and i won't be listening to it again.

It rolls on my MP3 when I feel like it, which is a much better idea than for example trying to listen to it as much as possible just to make it grow as quickly as possible. That just makes it tiresome.

Gave it an 8, for its originality (well, for U2 at least), its wicked lyrics (which are not meant to have a reason, obviously) and for its unpredictability. It's sad to see that alot of people hate this song for some reason, I think it's a great, new single.

I could listen like 1000 times to OOTS when it came out and it never got boring for me. I do listen a lot to songs that I like (bad / wowy / Gone etc) but they never get boring for me. GOYB did in only 2 days...

it's a 7, it has great moments, but it's just an ok song, nothing more, nothing less

Honestly, as far as allowing a song to grow on you, it's far better to listen to a song once a day over the span of a year than to, say, listen to it 365 times in one day. The latter does absolutely nothing, but the former allows you to (presumably) listen to the song in new ways and give it time to soak in.

I've found that context is big for this song. I was listening in a very analytical way at first, but now when I play it on my iPod while walking around the city, the track really comes to life. It's very good for moving--car, walking, working out.

All of us approach a new U2 song in a way that is far from normal. This makes it very difficult to actually judge the song initially. We don't just "happen to hear it". We wait for it with bated breath and listen to it over and over in a very forced musical setting--not really the way music was meant to be enjoyed.

Get lost,asshole...as it's so obvious you just joined to bash the band...what's the phrase?..."Talkin' shit sayin' nohing"..that about sums you up

Wow, now we're calling names and cussing if someone's opinion differs? I don't agree with him, but come on. Show some Blue Crack class.

Um... that was like 8 pages ago. Let's move on. :)

Are you talking to me? I read through the threads and make comments
as I see the posts. Is there a special rule where if the thread is 18 pages we can
only make comments on, say pages 15-18, etc?

Wow, so there are rules to what you can say and to who and on what page?
What's happened to this place? :ohmy:

I honestly don't understand why there are people who are fans of the song who have an odd sense of pleasure in the fact that "Get on Your Boots" is not beloved by the general public.

By no means am I a fan of "Get on Your Boots," but it seems like the people I'm referring to are almost taking an elitist stance as if the public just doesn't "get" the song.

It's like the people who are fans of music artists until they achieve mainstream success.

Day four after the release and the song to me still gets a 1. I don't hear any of the "sonic layering" that so many people are talking about. Just a bunch of annoying sounds and non-substantive lyrics that a 12 year old could write.

Seriously, 15 years from now, is this song going to have any weight close to a "New Year's Day" or a "One"? Hell, even a "Vertigo"? I still have absolutely no idea how they sat down, Eno and Lanois included, and concluded that this song is good enough to be on an album let alone a single. There must have been some really good peyote being passed around in Fez. Half of U2's recent b-sides are better than this - Native Son, Smile, Mercy, etc. There's no way 2009 is their year riding on the coattails of this shitty song. This is officially the most annoying and hated U2 song I've ever heard. What makes it all the more frustrating is that it took them 4 and 1/2 years to come up with it. Why couldn't they have thrown it out in 2006 so I didn't have to wait two more years to be annoyed?

^Music is subjective.

How hard is that for to people understand??

I'll give it a 7.5 today, but reserve the right to change it later. :wink:

I think the "let me in the sound" chorus is going to be mind-blowing live, with Larry whaling away on the drums. Live version has the potential to be a 9/10. :drool:

I gave it a 7. I love the instruments in it, but the lyrics could've been better. It's a catchy tune though. I've already listened to it a million times.

Back
Top Bottom