Ranking the songs after >10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MOS
Breathe
Crazy Tonight
Fez-being born
Magnificent
NLOTH
Unkown Caller
Cedars of Lebanon
Stand up comedy
WAS

GOYB

Unknown Caller = best thing U2 has done in more than a decade.
Magnificent = self explanatory
NLOTH = best opener since Zooropa
Moment of Surrender = U2 should make long songs more often.
FEZ-being born = daring and the first time U2 has done a two-parter on one track
Get On Your Boots = I learnt how necessary this song was in the context of the album. [see above track]
Ceders of Lebenon = best closer since 'Love Is Blindness.'
Breath = whatever her name is, this woman is an amazing celloist. Best walking groove from Adam and Larry since I Trip Through Your Wires.

IGCIIDGCT and SUC = two reasons why this should have been a nine-track album.

Oh I forgot, WAS is below Breath because it was basically a trad. arranged by U2/Eno/Lanois. Great song nonetheless.

I find it unreal that it is almost unanimous that Magnificent is one of, if not the, favorite song of almost everyone here. That is not supposed to happen...not here! Oh and for the record, its my favorite song too. How is this happening? Did they lace it with audio crack or something? How the heck is it possible that a guy like me, who's favorite U2 song is Still Haven't Found, likes Magnificent just as much as a guy who's favorite song is <insert song I don’t like>. Its really....well.....cool. :hyper:

It is just an amazing song, start to finish. Heard it on the radio by accident before listening to the CD (I know, I know...long story).

Sat there in my car and thought WTH that was incredible...practically in tears when it was over...it brought me back 20+ years to something that could have been on TUF.:up:

And what about the 'oh's' in every song??

I have heard the "oh's" complaint of few times and I understand what you are saying and will say that most U2 songs with Bono doing "oh's" in some form almost always suck ass. For example:

Pride (whats with the oh, oh,oh,oh...that will never catch on at a concet...people will just sit in their seats)
With or without you (extended OOOOOOOH towards the end...see above comment)
Bad (whoo, whoo...whoo, whoo...kills the song!)
Running to Stand Still (sings the "Oh's" before "she runs through the street...this song stinks!)
Walk On (sings the "Oh's" before the chorus...this song is awful now I know why it never won a grammy or any awards)

Yep- Pride, With or Without you, Bad, Walk On and Running to Stand Still suck and they just make me want to hate U2! :dancing:

I have heard the "oh's" complaint of few times and I understand what you are saying and will say that most U2 songs with Bono doing "oh's" in some form almost always suck ass. For example:

Pride (whats with the oh, oh,oh,oh...that will never catch on at a concet...people will just sit in their seats)
With or without you (extended OOOOOOOH towards the end...see above comment)
Bad (whoo, whoo...whoo, whoo...kills the song!)
Running to Stand Still (sings the "Oh's" before "she runs through the street...this song stinks!)
Walk On (sings the "Oh's" before the chorus...this song is awful now I know why it never won a grammy or any awards)

Yep- Pride, With or Without you, Bad, Walk On and Running to Stand Still suck and they just make me want to hate U2! :dancing:

Wow, Pride and Walk On are two of my favourites!

I think the Oh's worked for Unknown Caller very well :up:

My ranking after God-knows-how-many listens:

1. Moment of Surrender
2. White as Snow
3. Magnificent
4. Unknown Caller
5. Crazy Tonight
6. Cedars of Lebanon
7. No Line on the Horizon
8. Stand Up
9. Fez
10. Breathe (I don't understand the meaning of this song...still)
11. Get on your Boots (seriously, what were they thinking???)

Generally, I like the entire record from start to finish. Stand Up Comedy is the only track that hasn't worn as well with time. I think it needed more editing (it relies on the classic rock riff too much when the other parts of the song are more interesting). I didn't like White as Snow at first (thought Bono did a bit of over-singing) but it has started to grow on me.

The songs that have really grown on me in recent weeks are Crazy and Cedars of Lebanon. The string arrangements and Edge's guitar tone on Crazy really work for this track. It isn't overproduced like a lot of the ballads on Atomic Bomb. They've also performed the song exceptionally well live.

Cedars is one of U2's best and most interesting slow ballads. It captures and refines the experimentation of Passengers or some of the more ambient b-sides of Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree.

Unknown Caller still remains my favorite. I think it is this generation's 'Bad'. Can't wait to hear it live. Everyone loves the title track (the live version from Dublin is also great), Magnificent, Moment of Surrender. Fez is also a great track. Unlike most folks on blogs like these, I think Get On Your Boots is a great track. The sound is terrific and the songwriting sublime. A lot of people don't like it as a first single, but the catchiness of Edge's riff combined with the interesting twists and turns grabbed everyone's attention and got people interested in buying the record. I think now that Boots has had its run as a single, people will begin to appreciate it more as a track on a great record.

Generally, I like the entire record from start to finish. Stand Up Comedy is the only track that hasn't worn as well with time. I think it needed more editing (it relies on the classic rock riff too much when the other parts of the song are more interesting). I didn't like White as Snow at first (thought Bono did a bit of over-singing) but it has started to grow on me.

The songs that have really grown on me in recent weeks are Crazy and Cedars of Lebanon. The string arrangements and Edge's guitar tone on Crazy really work for this track. It isn't overproduced like a lot of the ballads on Atomic Bomb. They've also performed the song exceptionally well live.

Cedars is one of U2's best and most interesting slow ballads. It captures and refines the experimentation of Passengers or some of the more ambient b-sides of Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree.

Unknown Caller still remains my favorite. I think it is this generation's 'Bad'. Can't wait to hear it live. Everyone loves the title track (the live version from Dublin is also great), Magnificent, Moment of Surrender. Fez is also a great track. Unlike most folks on blogs like these, I think Get On Your Boots is a great track. The sound is terrific and the songwriting sublime. A lot of people don't like it as a first single, but the catchiness of Edge's riff combined with the interesting twists and turns grabbed everyone's attention and got people interested in buying the record. I think now that Boots has had its run as a single, people will begin to appreciate it more as a track on a great record.

I pretty much agree with all you've said. Stand Up Comedy is my least favourite track on the album but I still can't dislike it for some reason. When it comes on it makes me sing and it sticks in my head at times, and I like the lyrics contrary to a lot of peoples' opinions.

Funny as my brother totally loves it, he's only 22 (I know, I might sound old at 32!!:wink:) and after all these weeks it remains one of his favourites so I suppose it's each to his own.

Opinions vary widely and I don't think there will ever been complete consensus.

1 fez-being born
2 unknown caller
3 cedars of lebanon
4 moment of surrender
5 no line on the horizon
6 magnificent
7 white as snow
8 stand up comedy
9 breathe
10 get on your boots
11 I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

1 breathe
2 no line on the horizon
3 magnificent
4 fez/being born
5 crazy tonight
6 stand up comedy
7 unknown caller
8 moment of surrender
9 white as snow
10 get on your boots
11 cedars of lebanon

I hadn't done this yet, but after numerous weeks of listening, I'm ready to give my full ratings on this album. I know you've all been eagerly awaiting my precious words of wisdom!

1. No Line On The Horizon - 7.5/10 - I don't quite 'get it' yet, but it's a good song. I give it an extra .5 nudge for the 'press down the gas pedal when Larry kicks the song into o/d' factor.

2. Magnificent - 10/10 - If there was a way to rate this higher, I'd do it. This is U2 ecstasy.

3. Moment of Surrender - 10/10 - This song is going to be a prayer live. Brilliant.

4. Unknown Caller - 10/10 - this song is genius, I absolutely love it.

5. Crazy Tonight - 7/10 - I actually think for what it is, what's it's trying to be, it's a good song. I also think it fits so well within the flow of Tracks 2 thru 5.

6. Get On Your Boots - 5/10 - I'm neither here nor there. I skip it sometimes. I think the turning point, hopefully in favor, will be when I see it live.

7. Stand Up Comedy - 5/10 - see previous. The riff is cool and all but it's disposable imo. Unlike Boots, I'm likely going to end up rating against this song as I really couldn't care less about how it's going to sound live and would be totally ok if they never played it. But I know they probably will, sadly.

8. Fez - Being Born - 3/10 - At most this is a polished b-side. I'd rate it highly if it was on a b-sides comp. However, as part of an album? No, just no. It reminds me of Unforgettable Fire soundscapes, without the meaning, substance, direction, punchline, purpose. In other words, it goes nowhere for me.

9. White as Snow - 8/10 - great song, even if I can't play it in the car without the kids getting bored.

10. Breathe - 10/10 - I LOVE THIS SONG. I LOVE YOU EDGE. :lol:

11. Cedars of Lebanon - 5/10. I'm ambivalent. It doesn't hold my attention. When I compare it to other album closers, I find it falls far short.

OVERALL RATING based on averages of the above scores: 7.5/10

MY OVERRIDE RATING based on the strengths of the really strong songs: 9/10

Now...had they included Winter instead of Fez - Being Born or maybe Stand Up Comedy, my OVERALL RATING based on averages would easily be 8 or so because I give Winter an 8/10.

Magnificent
Breathe
No Line on the Hor i zon
Unknown Caller
Stand Up Comedy
White as Snow
Moment of Surrender
Ill Go Crazy...
Cedars of Lebanon
Fez
Boots

I hadn't done this yet, but after numerous weeks of listening, I'm ready to give my full ratings on this album. I know you've all been eagerly awaiting my precious words of wisdom!

1. No Line On The Horizon - 7.5/10 - I don't quite 'get it' yet, but it's a good song. I give it an extra .5 nudge for the 'press down the gas pedal when Larry kicks the song into o/d' factor.

2. Magnificent - 10/10 - If there was a way to rate this higher, I'd do it. This is U2 ecstasy.

3. Moment of Surrender - 10/10 - This song is going to be a prayer live. Brilliant.

4. Unknown Caller - 10/10 - this song is genius, I absolutely love it.

5. Crazy Tonight - 7/10 - I actually think for what it is, what's it's trying to be, it's a good song. I also think it fits so well within the flow of Tracks 2 thru 5.

6. Get On Your Boots - 5/10 - I'm neither here nor there. I skip it sometimes. I think the turning point, hopefully in favor, will be when I see it live.

7. Stand Up Comedy - 5/10 - see previous. The riff is cool and all but it's disposable imo. Unlike Boots, I'm likely going to end up rating against this song as I really couldn't care less about how it's going to sound live and would be totally ok if they never played it. But I know they probably will, sadly.

8. Fez - Being Born - 3/10 - At most this is a polished b-side. I'd rate it highly if it was on a b-sides comp. However, as part of an album? No, just no. It reminds me of Unforgettable Fire soundscapes, without the meaning, substance, direction, punchline, purpose. In other words, it goes nowhere for me.

9. White as Snow - 8/10 - great song, even if I can't play it in the car without the kids getting bored.

10. Breathe - 10/10 - I LOVE THIS SONG. I LOVE YOU EDGE. :lol:

11. Cedars of Lebanon - 5/10. I'm ambivalent. It doesn't hold my attention. When I compare it to other album closers, I find it falls far short.

OVERALL RATING based on averages of the above scores: 7.5/10

MY OVERRIDE RATING based on the strengths of the really strong songs: 9/10

Now...had they included Winter instead of Fez - Being Born or maybe Stand Up Comedy, my OVERALL RATING based on averages would easily be 8 or so because I give Winter an 8/10.

i agree with most of this, except i rate Fez-Being Born at least an 8 if not 9. the thought of this song not being on the album saddens me beyond belief. also, i'd give Cedars a 7 and bump Breathe down to 8.5.

01 Breathe
02 White As Snow
03 Fez-Being Born
04 Magnificent
05 Stand Up Comedy
06 Cedars Of Lebanon
07 Get On Your Boots
08 No Line On The Horizon
09 Moment Of Surrender
10 Unknown Caller
11 I'll Go Crazy...

1. Breathe
--------------- Brilliant, could've been a B-side and I'd still play it over and over again, 5 stars

2. Fez
3. Cedars
4. Magnificent
--------------- Excellent, 4.5 stars

5. No Line
6. Boots
7. MOS
8. SUC
9. UC
10. WAS
---------------Great, 4 stars

18976545. Crazy Tonight
----------------------------------------------A mature band trying to sound much younger and current when they don't have to with the excellent calliber of the rest of the album. In the correct place on the album (need a barrier between UC and Boots), but they could've written this in their sleep. Tried to like it, will keep trying...

It has not changed since my first listen.

Moment of Surrender
Breathe
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
Fez - Being Born
No Line on the Horizon
White as Snow
I'll go Crazy If I don't go Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy
Cedars of Lebanon
Get on your Boots

i haven't listened to the album in a couple of weeks, but just listening now, and loved NLOTH, Magnificent, but surprisingly had to skip MOS, enjoyed Unknown Caller, Crazy was gone before i realised i was listening but wasnt offensive in any way, skipped Boots, felt sorry for SUC after the battering it's been getting here lmfao, liked FEZ-Being Born, loved the intro to WAS then skipped, listened to the lovely intro to Breathe then skipped, and listened to and loved Cedars the whole way thru... ha that's me for today :D

I'll go Crazy If I don't go Crazy Tonight
Unknown Caller

Moment of Surrender
Magnificent
Stand Up Comedy

White as Snow
Cedars of Lebanon
Get on your Boots

Breathe
No Line on the Horizon
Fez - Being Born

Unknown Caller- A+
Moment of Surrender- A
Breathe- A
Magnificent- A
FEZ-Being Born- A-
Crazy Tonight- B+
Stand Up- B
Boots- C
No Line on the Horizon- C
Cedars- C-
White as Snow- Who the hell cares

could one of you wankers..i mean rankers tell my stand up comedy is ranked no better than 5th and for most of you 10th and lower?..is it because you can't rank it any lower?...what is it you don't like about it...just kidding about the wankers comment.

1. Moment of Surrender - 10
2. Magnificent - 9
3. No Line On The Horizon - 8,5
4. Unknown Caller - 8,5
5. Breathe - 8,5
6. White As Snow - 8
7. FEZ - Being Born - 8
8. I'll Go Crazy - 7,5
9. Cedars of Lebanon - 7,5
10. Stand Up Comedy - 7
11. Get On Your Boots - 6,5

Average: 8... that sounds about ok.

1 Magnificent
2 MOS
3 Get on Your Boots
4 Breathe
5 NLOTH
6 FEZ
7 Cedars of Lebanon
8 White As Snow
9 IGCIIDGCT
10 Unknown Caller

11 SUC

could one of you wankers..i mean rankers tell my stand up comedy is ranked no better than 5th and for most of you 10th and lower?..is it because you can't rank it any lower?...what is it you don't like about it...just kidding about the wankers comment.

I actually like the song but its not popular around here (the forum) if it makes you feel any better, Crazy Tonight is hated even more and I think its the 3rd best song on the album.

Magnificent-Classic
Breathe-Classic
Crazy Tonight-Great
MOS-Great
Boots/Stand Up-Good
Stand up/boots-Good
NLOTH-Good
Unknown Caller-okay
the "other 3"-Barf

Haven´t you felt the beauty of WAS yet ??! :tsk:

I usually love slower, stripped down, heartfelt songs that tell stories. Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Dylan, and the like.

White as Snow just sounds like Bono telling a really boring story. I don't care about hunting in the woods dammit! The bridge, the horns, and "only poppies" line are good- but they're surrounded by one dragging, boring song. Even Bono sounds kind of bored singing it.

It was a song with a really cool idea- but I don't think it was well executed at all. The rest of the album is pretty great though!

Back
Top Bottom