Ranking the songs after >10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) Magnificent :hyper: :hyper:
2) Unknown Caller :hyper: :applaud:
3) No Line On The Horizon :hyper: :applaud:
4) Moment Of Surrender :hyper:
5) Fez - Being Born :hyper:
6) Cedars Of Lebanon :applaud:
7) Breathe :D
8) Stand Up Comedy
9) White As Snow :D
10) Crazy Tonight :)
11) Get On Your Boots : |

Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
FEZ-Being Born
Breathe
Get on Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Cedars of Lebanon
No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
White as snow
I'll Go Crazy if I don't go Crazy tonight

That said, I like Crazy tonight and white as snow a lot. Great album, very solid and perhaps one of their best flowing albums, no skippers. :applaud:

NLOTH: 4.5/5
Magnificent: 5/5 and more
Moment of Surrender: 5/5
Unknown Caller: 5/5
I"ll Go Crazy...: 4/5
Boots: 3.5/5
SUC: 4/5
Fez - Being Born: 5/5 and more
White as Snow: 5/5
Breathe: 5/5 and more
Cedars: 4.5/5

Moment of Surrender
Magnificent
No Line on the Horizon
FEZ-Being Born
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
[Winter]
Unknown Caller
Get on Your Boots
White as Snow
Breathe
Stand Up Comedy
Cedars of Lebanon

Okay, only got it on Monday so somewhat behind most of you, haven't quite got into a few of the tracks yet so my list will probably change daily but here it is so far.

1 Magnificent- Can't stop playing it, then playing it over and over in my head, best U2 song this decade, possibly one of their all time greats. Sends shivers down my spine, one of the best ever U2 intros as well, it has everything, the U2 song that can't stop giving!!

2 Fez- Being Born - absolutely love this, love the transition from Fez to BB, very Zooropa, I was hoping for more of this on the album, definite Passangers feel, love it, coolest track they've done in years.

3. Cedars of Lebanon - Best closing track since Wake Up Dead Man, very cold harsh lyrics, great sample from Harold Budd, I love albums that end on a downer and Cedars certainly brings that!!

4 NLOTH - Much prefer the album version, beautiful keyboard sounds, lots of Eno dust, great way to open the album, will sound incredible in the stadiums.

5 White As Snow - Quite Cash like, good lyrics, lots of Daniel Lanois stuff here, very classy,I expect more of this on the next record.

6 Breathe - really getting into it now, took me a while, sounds immense live, will probably be my number 2 track next week.

7 Boots - I still really like it, I know I'm in a minority, but I think it makes more sense on the album and looks like a world beater compared to SUC.

8 IGCIICGCT - There is a great melody in here somewhere, I am liking it but I think Bono's lyrics are a little painful, for such a big pop song I don't really here much of a chorus. That said, it's still a goodun.

9 Moment of Surrender - At first listen I was totally gutted, very disappointed, couldn't stand the vocals, couldn't here much of a melody, the only bits I liked was the intro and the various keyboard effects. As is often the way with this band, witha dozen more listens I am liking it more, like Breathe, it will probably be one of my top 3 next week.

10 Unknown Caller - can't get into it, it does and says nothing to me. Hopefully it will grow on me...?

11 SUC - There are a couple of good bits, the For you Love bit for example, but I really don't like it, not quite as bad as Miracle Drug, but to be honest it's a bit of an embarassment, don;t think I'll ever like it.

On the whole it gets an 8/10, not in the Achtung/Josua league, but could possibly be as good as TUF?? It may not though, could go either way depending on whether I get into MOS and Unknown Caller. Easily their best album this decade.

Achtung/Joshua/Achtung/Joshua/Achtung/Joshua...that's all I hear nowadays.

Please take each album separately. We all know Joshua Tree was their most commercially successful with the most mass appeal blah blah blah and we know AB was the great band re-inventor, great 90's record blah blah blah.

Come on people, think more individually sometimes and not try and put albums in the box of "this is what most people think" shite. Totally does my head in. And don't get stuck in the past too much either.

I think this new album reminded me why I got into this band in the first place, it reminds me of the mysterious excitement I had when I first got into UF.

I found this band when AB came out - it however took me ages to accept that album - as soon as I discovered the band then I went straight into UF and JT. UF has remained one of my all time favourites, as has AB. I don't particularly like JT (hush, shock horror....:ohmy:) and I prefer Zooropa to AB. I suppose that is why all this JT/AB talk really grates on me.

I have connected with NLOTH, like I did with UF and I am really excited about this album. Can't wait to see them live again and see future live DVDs etc. etc.

I wish people would stop being so analytical all the time and just enjoy the moment. It takes years for albums to digest properly and we all tend to look back on the past with our nostalgic rose tinted glasses on anyway.

I can see myself in a few years looking back on this period of U2 with great fondness, we're in for a great ride on this tour.

Achtung/Joshua/Achtung/Joshua/Achtung/Joshua...that's all I hear nowadays.

Please take each album separately. We all know Joshua Tree was their most commercially successful with the most mass appeal blah blah blah and we know AB was the great band re-inventor, great 90's record blah blah blah.

Come on people, think more individually sometimes and not try and put albums in the box of "this is what most people think" shite. Totally does my head in. And don't get stuck in the past too much either.

I think this new album reminded me why I got into this band in the first place, it reminds me of the mysterious excitement I had when I first got into UF.

I found this band when AB came out - it however took me ages to accept that album - as soon as I discovered the band then I went straight into UF and JT. UF has remained one of my all time favourites, as has AB. I don't particularly like JT (hush, shock horror....:ohmy:) and I prefer Zooropa to AB. I suppose that is why all this JT/AB talk really grates on me.

I have connected with NLOTH, like I did with UF and I am really excited about this album. Can't wait to see them live again and see future live DVDs etc. etc.

I wish people would stop being so analytical all the time and just enjoy the moment. It takes years for albums to digest properly and we all tend to look back on the past with our nostalgic rose tinted glasses on anyway.

I can see myself in a few years looking back on this period of U2 with great fondness, we're in for a great ride on this tour.

The title ofthis thread is "rank the songs in order", I did that with explanations for why I put them in which place. I haven't compared it to Achtung/Joshua, just said I like them more, and that's the fucking truth.

I can't rank the songs, but I am feeling compelled to listen to this album alot- it just keeps drawing me in- and I keep finding new things on it each time I play it- which makes me want to play it again and again...

No Line on the Horizon(some of you know how nuts I am over this song :combust: )
Crazy Tonight
Magnificent
Stand Up Comedy
Moment of Surrender
Breathe
Unknown Caller
Cedars of Lebanon
White as Snow
Boots
Fez-Being Born

1. Moment of Surrender
2. White as snow
3. Unknown caller
4. Magnificent
5. Crazy tonight
6. Breathe
7. Boots
8. Fez - Being born
9. No line on the horizon
10. Cedars of Lebanon
11. Stand up comedy

:hmm:

weakest track: Stand up Comedy. The guitar riff is not U2 but local band type of stuff. I think the rest of the album is great. Even boots.

I think this album is 3rd behind joshua tree and achtung baby. Stand up comedy took it from second place to 3rd place. After NLOTH I think UF then ATYCLB. Thats my order.

Magnificent
Breathe
NLOTH
Moment of Surrender
White as Snow
Cedars of Lebanon
FEZ-Being Born
Unknown Caller
Stand Up Comedy
Crazy Tonight
Boots

And, from a "track order on an album" standpoint, NLOTH, Magnificent, and MOS is their strongest 3 tracks in order since the opening 3 of JT

Yes please
Magnificent
MOS
Crazy Tonight
NLOTH
Fez

Good
Boots
White as Snow
Cedars of Lebanon

I'll be in the beer garden at the concert for these ones
Breathe
Stand Up Comedy
Unknown Caller

In order of quality at the moment:

Really great:
1 Cedars of Lebanon
2 Moment of Surrender

Good:
3 Unknown Caller
4 Magnificent
5 No Line on the Horizon
6 Fez - Being Born

Ok:
7 Get On Your Boots

Could do better:
8 Breathe
9 White As Snow

Not that bad, but certainly not good:
10 Crazy Tonight

Poor:
11 Stand Up Comedy

Love:
Magnificent
Breathe
Crazy Tonight (I dont know why some people dont like this)

Really Like
Stand Up Comedy (Also dont understand some of the hate for this one)
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender

Not too bad
Get On Your Boots
White As Snow

Dont like
Unknown Caller ( I dont get why so many people seem to like this one)
Fez - Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon

Alright, I've been listening to this fucking thing almost non-stop. Seriously. I think my roommate might be moving out.

Anyways, on with the show and all that...

CLASSIC
1. Magnificent
2. Moment of Surrender
3. Fez - Being Born
4. White as Snow
5. Breathe

NOT-SO CLASSIC, BUT DAMN CLOSE
6. No Line on the Horizon
7. Cedars of Lebanon

NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING CLASSIC
8. Get On Your Boots
9. Stand Up Comedy

FAIRLY AWFUL, BUT SURPRISINGLY GOOD LIVE (BUT NOT CLASSIC)
10. Crazy Tonight (I'm officially calling it this from now on. I suggest you all do the same.)

UTTERLY ATROCIOUS, AND PROBABLY NOT EVEN ABLE TO SPELL "CLASSIC"
11. Unknown Caller

Top marks all around, though. Great album that should make for a...shall we say "classic?" tour.

Brilliant.

------ AMAZING ------
1) No Line On The Horizon - A+
2) Magnificent - A+
3) Stand Up Comedy - A+ **Way too much hate, this song is epic**
4) Breathe - A+
5) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - A

------ GOOD ------
6) Moment Of Surrender - B
7) Fez - Being Born - B
8) Winter - B
9) Unknown Caller - B-

------ OK --------
Not a slow song person
10) Cedars Of Lebanon - C+
11) White As Snow - C+

------ ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING ------
12) Get On Your Boots - D
13) Get On Your Boots (Crookers Remix) - FFFFFailure

Great/Classic Songs

Breathe A+
Magnificent A+
Moment of Surrender A

Very Good Songs

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight B+
Get On Your Boots B+
Unknown Caller B+
No Line On The Horizon B
Stand Up Comedy B
Fez - Being Born B

Pretty Good Songs

White As Snow B-
Cedars of Lebanon B-

Great/Classic Songs:
Magnificent 10/10
Stand Up Comedy 10/10
FEZ - Being Born 10/10
White As Snow 10/10
Breathe 10/10

Very Good Songs:
No Line On The Horizon 8/10
Get On Your Boots 8/10
Cedars Of Lebanon 8/10

Okay Songs:
Moment Of Surrender 6/10

Lame and unnecessary songs:
Unknown Caller 4/10
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight 2/10

Classic
Unknown Caller
Breathe
MOS
Magnificent

Awesome
White as Snow
NLOTH
Cedars
Fez

Very Good
GOYB
Crazy Tonight

Good
SUC

Moment Of Surrender - A+
Magnificent - A
Breathe - A-
Fez Being Born - A-
Cedars Of Lebanon - B+
Unknown Caller - B
White As Snow - B
Get On Your Boots - B-
No Line On The Horizon - B-
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - C
Stand Up Comedy - C

This really just represents the ones I've been listening the most right now:

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Magnificent
Unknown Caller
Moment of Surrender
Get On Your Boots
Cedars Of Lebanon
Stand Up Comedy
White As Snow
Fez - Being Born

1. Magnificent
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Fez-Being Born
4. Crazy Tonight
5. White As Snow
6. Moment Of Surrender
7. Stand up Comedy
8. Get On Your Boots
9. Breathe
10. Unknown Caller
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

1 - Magnificent
2 - MOS
3 - Breathe
4 - Crazy Tonite
5 - No Line
6 - Fez
7 - White as Snow
8 - Cedars
9 - Unknown Caller
10 - Stand Up
11 - Boots

I'll have a go at this -

1. Unknown Caller 10/10
2. Breathe 10/10
3. No Line 10/10
4. Magnificent 10/10
5. Fez 9/10
6. Stand Up 9/10
7. Cedars 9/10
8. MOS 8/10
9. Crazy Tonite 8/10
10. Boots 8/10
11. White as Snow 8/10

Great album thats after more than a couple of weeks. Their best since Pop but not as good as Pop.

Back
Top Bottom