Ranking NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Of course it's much to early to rank the albums after only hearing the new album for 1,5 day. For example, I rated HTDAAB a lot higher when it came out. But still, it's interesting to compare your opinion at this moment to your opinion in about 6 months. So here's my try (top 5):

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. War

1.) Achtung Baby
2.) No Line on the Horizon
3.) Joshua Tree
4.) All That You Can't Leave Behind
5.) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
6.) Unforgetable Fire
7.) Boy
8.) War
9.) October
10.) Zooropa

Its probably too early to do a ranking. Ill reasses in a month, but factoring in the excitment of it being fresh it is up there.

I have an interchangeable top 3, as they are all so different, so it depends what mood im in

AB = JT = TUF

Then I have

Boy
HTDAAB
ATYCLB
Zooropa
Pop
War
October
R&H

At the moment I have NLOTH up in the top band with JT, AB, TUF.

I don't expect it to stay there. It will eventually settle above Boy in number 4 (I already know that I love it more than Boy), OR it will stand alone at the top. For that decision, I need months of evaluation, see how the songs are played live etc.

It also makes it hard to evaluate the album when the next one hasn't come to put it in perspective.

sorry, way too early to do this. i think many people had HTDAAB ranked up there with Achtung Baby a day after that leaked too.

don't mean to crap on this thread or anything, but i think it would be more appropriate to give this album a couple months before we try to place it with albums we've known for years and years.

That's true, I remember, within days of HTDAAB, ranking side by side each song of AB and HTDAAB and coming up with an average: HTDAAB was just short of AB....when I know today it wouldn't be close!

I honestly don't think it will be close to JT or AB as it sounds too much like UF for me and I never was able to get into that one!:reject:

#1. Achtung Baby
#2. The Joshua Tree
#3. No Line on the Horizon
#4. Rattle and Hum
#5. POP
#6. Zooropa
#7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
#8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
#9. The Unforgettable Fire
#10. War
#11. October
#12. Boy
#13. Original Soundtracks 1

The only albums that have been my fav at least one time are AB, JT, HTDAAB and POP. As you can see, it changes a lot :D

sorry, way too early to do this. i think many people had HTDAAB ranked up there with Achtung Baby a day after that leaked too.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I know it's too early. But it's just interesting for yourself to see what's your impression at this moment, so you can compare it to your opinion in 6 months.

1. Achtung Baby

2. POP

3. NLOTH (for now)
4. Joshua Tree
5. Unforgettable Fire

6. HTDAAB
7. Zooropa (would be higher if it was a little more complete)
8. Rattle and Hum (I think the 9 new songs are outstanding even if I am in the minority)
9. ATYCLB

10. War
11. Boy
12. October

To be honest I still don't know where HTDAAB ranks :reject:

I became a U2 fan in 2002, so I can only fairly rank the first 10 albums among each other-- and I'll only be able to fairly compare HTDAAB with NLOTH. Theres just so much prejudice involved with ranking new albums with stuff that came before and had an already established place.

I think only people who were listening to U2 since 1980 will be able to fairly rate their albums among each other because they were around when there was a doubt that UF, JT or AB were going to be any good. I think thats kinda why the Rolling Stone NLOTH review speaks volumes, because the the guy who did the review also reviewed Boy.

Yeah, I know it's too early. But it's just interesting for yourself to see what's your impression at this moment, so you can compare it to your opinion in 6 months.

fair enough. :)

i would say that Achtung Baby is still my favorite, by far. but as of now, i would put NLOTH in my 2nd tier.

AB
JT
UF
POP
R&H
Zooropa
NLOTH
BOY
War
ATYCLB
HTD&AB
October

Of course this is subject to change within the next 5 seconds. :D

My top album fluctuates a bit.. but if I had to choose, it would be the Joshua Tree

1) Joshua Tree
2) Achtung Baby
3) Unforgettable Fire

No Line on the Horizon has really grabbed me.. It has that extra something the last two records lacked.. and I really liked those two records so I think that's all the more amazing

4) No Line
5) Pop
6) Zooropa
7) HTDAAB
8) ATYCLB
9) Rattle and Hum
10) War

The early albums are an interesting listen.. but beyond a select few songs, I'd skip them more often than not

11) Boy
12) October

Been there since 87.. Which has nothing to do with my ability to evaluate albums lol.

1. JT
2. AB
3. NLOTH
4. HTDAAB
5. R&H
6. POP
7. ATYCLB
8. War
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. October
11. Boy
12. Zooropa

Not much has changed for me other the years. HTDAAB was #3 when it came out, so it pretty much maintains its position. It's not a very good album, but it's a great collection of songs. NLOTH is both. Time will be the ulimate decider between the two. Which has more songs I love longer. TBD. But as an album as an artistic entity, NLOTH certainly beats HTDAAB, and plus, it rocks.

Pop's risen the last few years as had R&H. It's been a long 5 years and there's been plenty of time to mine old albums for hidden gems. Speaking of.. There aren't that many gems on ATYCLB, I've found, which has caused it to slip.

TUF's always been overrated among the U2 faithful. The public got it right on this one.

Zooropa is and always will be at the bottom. I'm still not over the shock of disappointment and still hate most of it.

October and Boy always trade positions, but always near the bottom. Currently liking Oct more. Will change tomorrow. They're almost synonymous to me.

Back
Top Bottom