Rank the Album Among Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried to quantify my album ratings so I thought I'd have a go. Being a lover of spread sheets, I built one that allowed for a 100 point rating of each album song, then an average score for the total songs on the album. I then balanced this with a 100 point rating of the 'completeness' of the album, which incorporates aspects such as balance, flow, logic, feeling of context etc. then I added these scores, divided by 20 to get a 10 point rating if each album. Obviously albums with weak tracks had a lower average, so reward for consistent albums, and ones with good completeness. I was partially surprised by the results:

1. The Unforgettable Fire - 9.66
2. Achtung Baby - 9.62
3. The Joshua Tree - 9.52

4. Songs of Innocence - 9.25
5. Boy - 9.17

6. Zooropa - 9.06
7. Pop - 8.99
8. No Line on the Horizon - 8.98

9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 8.75
10. War - 8.66
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 8.59
12. Rattle & Hum - 8.52
13. October - 8.48

There were 4 distinct categories, and clearly albums with weak points (see the bottom category) scored lower.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

+CONCATENATE("Have you considered adding","a score for songs played on tour?")
+IF("Song played live",10,5)
:wink:

How do the results change?

I'd suggest War climbs above Bomb and NLOTH, but just a hunch.

+CONCATENATE("Have you considered adding","a score for songs played on tour?")

+IF("Song played live",10,5)

:wink:

How do the results change?

I'd suggest War climbs above Bomb and NLOTH, but just a hunch.

Take your point, but live has nothing to do with my rating of albums. It wouldn't make sense to alter a song rating based on a great live version, yet appoint scores based in the cohesiveness of the album as a whole.

Take your point, but live has nothing to do with my rating of albums. It wouldn't make sense to alter a song rating based on a great live version, yet appoint scores based in the cohesiveness of the album as a whole.

I understand how and what you did, well maybe more the what, I'm just wondering how it would work out -- say for example if you tried pulling the top 3 or 4 songs from each album in their live / tour translation.

For example, I'd say UF goes up cuz Bad, Pride, MLK and UF all translated well, even in 1985/86 whereas the best songs from NLOTH did not translate all that well, at least IMO.

I understand how and what you did, well maybe more the what, I'm just wondering how it would work out -- say for example if you tried pulling the top 3 or 4 songs from each album in their live / tour translation.

For example, I'd say UF goes up cuz Bad, Pride, MLK and UF all translated well, even in 1985/86 whereas the best songs from NLOTH did not translate all that well, at least IMO.

Yeah fair enough. I actually think NLOTH would be fairly constant, because GOYB would go up considerably live.

I haven't been following this thread. What has SOI peaked at? Has anyone rated it #1 yet? I'm assuming it's only a matter of time.

I don't think you can rate a new album within the first week, call me crazy. For me....3 months is when I know how I really feel and truth be told, at a year is when all the hype and excitement is completely gone and might be the best time to make an unclouded judgment,

I looked up an old thread I commented on back in 2009. I made a couple of comments about NLOTH that were clearly clouded.

One thing I said was that No Line was better than Bomb....IMO it's not even close to Bomb(I don't hide my love for that album).

What I will say is that with No Line there were 4 songs I really liked and 3 that I always skipped (4 others were just...meh). With SOI, at the same point in time there are 8 songs I really like and 3 that are meh, none that I skip. That might change but time will tell.

I'm also a firm believer that a live version, if done really well, can enhance the studio version. I experienced that with COBL and I can see that happening with a few of these songs.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

After this last review, and a couple of changes people made, the final numbers with 76 votes:

Timpop is the only one who put SOI on top.

Okay, I need to clarify. This album is what I am spinning all the time right now and I love it, but I need months before it can truly upset Pop as my favorite. So, take me off the list as having SOI as number one. It could be, but for now I'm just enjoying it a lot. Thanks for letting me clarify and I apologize for giving the wrong impression in my earlier post.

Okay, I need to clarify. This album is what I am spinning all the time right now and I love it, but I need months before it can truly upset Pop as my favorite. So, take me off the list as having SOI as number one. It could be, but for now I'm just enjoying it a lot. Thanks for letting me clarify and I apologize for giving the wrong impression in my earlier post.

I'll leave it in for now because it is what you liked at that moment. I'm sure months later everyone's ratings will be VERY different, especially if SOE is released soon. Plus it's only a ranking list. It's not important.

There are no lesser songs on The Unforgettable Fire.

I appreciate all the work you're doing compiling these stats so I'm going to try to forget you said that.

Elvis Presley and America is gobbledigook. It was Eno's fault because he convinced Bono not to finish it.

It would be like if Eno had a chance to do the same with WTSHNN it would be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FguVRdJnc

He was involved in producing their last album and OMG tonight I was reminded of just how bad it is. Haven't listened to NLOTH in years but decided to do so tonight as a comparison experiment and it is WORSE than I thoughr. Not to say that there aren't a few decent moments but overall it really is crap! I was infuriated several times listening to it. My gosh. The new album is its opposite in many ways.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Am I the only one who likes Elvis Presley and America? I love the atmosphere of it. Easy to listen to, very pleasant and calming. And its unfinished nature gives it some nice character.

Am I the only one who likes Elvis Presley and America? I love the atmosphere of it. Easy to listen to, very pleasant and calming. And its unfinished nature gives it some nice character.

It would be better with real words for lyrics but overall musically it's cool to listen to. Beats most of the total crap on NLOTH.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

The correct ranking for true fans:

1. Joshua Tree
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Achtung Baby
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. War
7. October
8. Boy
9. No Line on The Horizon
10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
11. Original Soundtracks I
12. Pop
13. Rattle & Hum
14. Songs Of Incest

Categories are Best New Music, 8.0+, Overlooked, Tolerable and Flatulence.

1-Achtung Baby
2-The Joshua Tree
3-All That You Can't Leave Behind
4-Songs of Innocence
5-The Unforgettable Fire
6-No Line On The Horizon
7-War
8-Pop
9-Zooropa
10-Rattle & Hum
11-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12-Boy
13-October

The correct ranking for true fans:

1. Joshua Tree
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Achtung Baby
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. War
7. October
8. Boy
9. No Line on The Horizon
10. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
11. Original Soundtracks I
12. Pop
13. Rattle & Hum
14. Songs Of Incest

Categories are Best New Music, 8.0+, Overlooked, Tolerable and Flatulence.

[insert middle finger]

AB
JT
ATYCLB
Songs
No Line
Bomb
UF
Zoo

Pop
R&H
War
Boy
October

1-Achtung Baby
2-The Joshua Tree
3-All That You Can't Leave Behind
4-Songs of Innocence
5-The Unforgettable Fire
6-No Line On The Horizon
7-War
8-Pop
9-Zooropa
10-Rattle & Hum
11-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12-Boy
13-October

Da fuq?

I will say though that the last three posters who have submitted lists (including myself) are clearly true fans. The Holy Trinity is ALWAYS tops. Period.

Da fuq?

I will say though that the last three posters who have submitted lists (including myself) are clearly true fans. The Holy Trinity is ALWAYS tops. Period.

Stop calling people who don't share your taste 'not true fans'

then there's the Holy Shit:

CT
GOYB
SUC

Replace Winter with Crazy Tonight and then that's absolutely correct. I've tried very hard to like GYOB, but it's just too awful. Stand Up Comedy is the absolute worst U2 song ever made. And that's not an exaggeration.

SUC is the worst album track although there's a couple of more forgettable ones one the new record. Not sure which crime is worse.

Back
Top Bottom