Rank the Album Among Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give it a stab for fun even though it's way too early.

1. Zooropa
2. Achtung Baby
3. Pop
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Joshua Tree
6. Boy
7. War
8. Songs Of Innocense
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. October
12. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
13. Rattle & Hum

Note: I'd put Passengers somewhere in the middle if it were a true U2 album.

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby!
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. Zooropa
5. No Line On the Horizon
6. Boy
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Songs Of Innocence
9. War
10. Pop
11. Rattle & Hum
12. October
13. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Boy
6. Songs Of Innocence
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. War
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Pop
11. Rattle and Hum
12. October
13. Atomic Bomb

1 Pop
2 Achtung Baby
3 Boy
4 Joshua Tree
5 Songs of Innocence
6 Unforgettable Fire
7 All That You Can't Leave Behind
8 No Line on the Horizon
9 Zooropa
10 Rattle and Hum
11 War
12 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13 October

1. Pop
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Songs of Innocence
7. Zooropa
8. War
9. October
10. Boy
11. Rattle and Hum
12. No Line on the Horizon
13. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

My personal masterpieces;

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. ATYCLB
4. POP

- This is currently where SOI stands with me, subject to change, but I'm a big fan
5. Songs of Innocence

- Near masterpieces in my mind, but lacking in a few places
6. Zooropa
7. Unforgettable Fire
8. Boy

- Like the albums, but there are tracks that I don't care for
9. HTDAAB
10. War
11. No Line on the Horizon

- Underwhelmed by most of the tracks.
12. October
13. Rattle and Hum

Rolling Stone also called ATYCLB "U2's 3rd masterpiece", so their reviews must be taken with many grains of salt.

I realize I'm in the minority around here, but I actually agree with this statement. I can acknowledge certain songs aren't as good as others, but I think overall think that. ATYCLB was the album that got me through my transition from youth to adulthood (ages 18-20), and I have a personal attachment to it. Not trying to start another debate about ATYCLB, but I truly agree with Rolling Stones' statement.

Way too early, bla bla bla, but:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Boy
3. The Joshua Tree
4. October
5. Passengers
6. Pop
7. Achtung Baby
8. War
9. Zooropa
10. Songs of Innocence
11. Rattle and Hum
14. All That You Can't Leave Behind

2. Boy
3. The Joshua Tree
4. October
5. Passengers
6. Pop
7. Achtung Baby
8. War
9. Zooropa
10. Songs of Innocence
11. Rattle and Hum

You have October #4!! Wow... Love that album so much tho I didn't rank it as highly.

You have October #4!! Wow... Love that album so much tho I didn't rank it as highly.

It really doesn't deserve its shitty reputation. Sure the sequencing is a bit poor and it has a couple of clunkers, but most of the songs are amazing.

Has any other band got a more polarised fan base?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It really doesn't deserve its shitty reputation. Sure the sequencing is a bit poor and it has a couple of clunkers, but most of the songs are amazing.

Yes indeed. And is a great album to listen to in that month. Also, I've never quite understood those folks who hate "I Fall Down."

1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) Songs Of Innocence
4) NLOTH
5) The Unforgettable Fire
6) Zooropa
7) Boy
8) Pop
9) HTDAAB
10) ATYCLB
11) War
12) Rattle & Hum
13) October

OK, Top 10 time again, it's been a while.

1. TUF
2. JT
3. AB
4. ATYCLB
5. NLOTH
6. R&H
7. OS1 (deal with it)
8. SOI
9. October
10. Boy
11. Zooropa
12. War
13. Bomb

14. Pop

(OK, DigiTIES, time to break up your ties). ;)

1 The Unforgettable Fire
2 Achtung Baby
3 The Joshua Tree
4 Songs of Innocence
5 Boy
6 Zooropa
7 Rattle & Hum
8 No Line On The Horizon
9 Pop
10 All That You Can't Leave Behind
11 War
12 October
13 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Yes indeed. And is a great album to listen to in that month. Also, I've never quite understood those folks who hate "I Fall Down."

Oh then you won't understand me! That's the one song that makes me sometimes question how highly I rank October...

There's Pop and then there is the rest...

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but my all time favorite song is Gone (remix), that said, here is my list in part based on my "Top 25 Most Played":

1. POP
2. ATYCLB
3. HTDAAB
4. JT
5. ZOO
6. NLOTH
7. WAR
8. TUF
9. BOY
10. OCTOBER
11. AB
12. R&H

This sounds ridiculous, but if I had to say today, right now, this minute, I would say this album is in many ways more mature and perhaps richer and better quality than any on that list. Maybe I'm drinking the coolaid, but this just rocks on so many levels. See my upcoming post on favorite songs on SOI.

Tim

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but my all time favorite song is Gone (remix), that said, here is my list in part based on my "Top 25 Most Played":

1. POP
2. ATYCLB
3. HTDAAB
4. JT
5. ZOO
6. NLOTH
7. WAR
8. TUF
9. BOY
10. OCTOBER
11. AB
12. R&H

This sounds ridiculous, but if I had to say today, right now, this minute, I would say this album is in many ways more mature and perhaps richer and better quality than any on that list. Maybe I'm drinking the coolaid, but this just rocks on so many levels. See my upcoming post on favorite songs on SOI.

Tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of people here who share your love of Pop. I'm not one of them, but welcome all the same. :)

An interesting fact is that when NLOTH came out, in the first days, NLOTH was placed by most users in the 3rd/4th place (some obviously placed it #1, others very low, but I remember seeing a lot of 3rd/4th places). Now, I'm seeing a lot of 5th places of for Songs Of Innocence.

Songs Of Innocence for now is clearly my least favourite U2 album (for many reasons, not willing to describe all now). I initially rated it a 5 after the first couple two auditions. Now I rate it a 6. It may eventually grow. But it can also be rated lower... As it happened with the past 3 albums in my case.

My personal ranking:

1) Zooropa 9,6
2) Achtung Baby 9,5
3) The Joshua Tree 9,3
4) Boy 8,8
5) The Unforgettable Fire 8,4
6) Pop 7,8
7) October 7,7
8) War 7,3
9) How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 7,1
9) No Line On The Horizon 7,1
11) Rattle And Hum 6,7
12) All That You Can't Leave Behind 6,6
13) Songs Of Innocence 6,0

Hi Tim, welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of people here who share your love of Pop. I'm not one of them, but welcome all the same. :)

Thanks! It's great to feel at home with so many folks who share one of my biggest passions- U2 music. I've been anxiously awaiting this album for 5 years - probably googled it 250 times if not more. In the meantime U2 have brought me through some personal hell and been there at my most amazing moments of turnaround. I owe them big. I am not disappointed either. They delivered!

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Pop
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Zooropa
The Unforgettable Fire
Rattle and Hum
Songs of Innocence
Boy
War
No Line On the Horizon
October

2. Boy
3. The Joshua Tree
4. October
5. Passengers
6. Pop
7. Achtung Baby
8. War
9. Zooropa
10. Songs of Innocence
11. Rattle and Hum

So, how do you feel about post-Pop U2, Ax?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SOI as #3? I'd love to hear the story behind that. ;)

Well, its not that hard, in fact its very simple

SOI is possibly the album ive been waiting on them to make since....Achtung Baby. For many reasons.

I loved ATYCLB & HTDAAB for what they were. NLOTH had some great moments...along with some not so great moments. It left me dry and i haven't listened to or been excited about NLOTH for several years.

So fast forward to this week.... hearing Songs of Innocence for the first time....i was blown away. Still am in fact. There is not one clunker, not one uni-interesting song in the entire album. I see now that the opening of the album is one set of songs and the last half is another, so thats familiar territory of some of the classics.

But damn....after Miracle...the next 4 songs are fucking perfect. Every Breaking Wave, california, Song for someone, & Iris...what the hell????? These are vibrant songs, perhaps classics, definitely epic. How the hell do you put that up against anything since Achtung Baby? The rest of the album....there really is no drop off in quality....raised by wolves, sleep like a baby, cedarwood road, the troubles, all great. The two i didnt mention, very good.

So yeah. In a year when all i really needed was something to lift me up, after the grief and loss on a personal level, this album is at least as good as i could have hoped for. Can't say its better because i dont know what better is. But i have to shake the notion that *nothing* could ever top Mt Everest (joshua tree, achtung baby) because that mindset guarantees that nothing ever will.

Im open minded enough at least to think something possibly could. This album, while still new, is in my mind a classic already. From the first listen i felt there was something really special here. i fucking love it

SOI is possibly the album ive been waiting on them to make since....Achtung Baby. For many reasons.

I loved ATYCLB & HTDAAB for what they were. NLOTH had some great moments...along with some not so great moments. It left me dry and i haven't listened to or been excited about NLOTH for several years.

So fast forward to this week.... hearing Songs of Innocence for the first time....i was blown away. Still am in fact. There is not one clunker, not one uni-interesting song in the entire album. I see now that the opening of the album is one set of songs and the last half is another, so thats familiar territory of some of the classics.

But damn....after Miracle...the next 4 songs are fucking perfect. Every Breaking Wave, california, Song for someone, & Iris...what the hell????? These are vibrant songs, perhaps classics, definitely epic. How the hell do you put that up against anything since Achtung Baby? The rest of the album....there really is no drop off in quality....raised by wolves, sleep like a baby, cedarwood road, the troubles, all great. The two i didnt mention, very good.

So yeah. In a year when all i really needed was something to lift me up, after the grief and loss on a personal level, this album is at least as good as i could have hoped for. Can't say its better because i dont know what better is. But i have to shake the notion that *nothing* could ever top Mt Everest (joshua tree, achtung baby) because that mindset guarantees that nothing ever will.

Im open minded enough at least to think something possibly could. This album, while still new, is in my mind a classic already. From the first listen i felt there was something really special here. i fucking love it

Agree 100 percent. At first it far exceeded any expectation I had for them at this point in their career. Upon further listening I am stunned at how close it is to their best work to me. The passion is always what hooked me and this one has passion in spades. The stories behind most of the songs are so cool in that I feel like I am reliving everything I have read about them in their early years. I can't imagine what Iris will be like for Bono performing live and that has me excited. I am guessing SOE will have equally introspective stories focused on the second half of their lives. If you look at AB and JT, besides a new sound they each had story writing passion that came from personal experiences. That more than new sounds is what has been missing from their last 3 albums and that's exactly where SOI connects with me the most. Bono has re-tapped into a creative vein and is at his best using his and the bands lives as his backdrop. If the title of SOE is any indication than that personal writing style will continue. The 21st century albums mostly focused on political, causes, worldly issues, and 3rd person writing. But SOI, much like AB and JT is focused on them and first person experiences and that is absolutely when they are at their best. Think about it.

Agree 100 percent. At first it far exceeded any expectation I had for them at this point in their career. Upon further listening I am stunned at how close it is to their best work to me. The passion is always what hooked me and this one has passion in spades. The stories behind most of the songs are so cool in that I feel like I am reliving everything I have read about them in their early years. I can't imagine what Iris will be like for Bono performing live and that has me excited. I am guessing SOE will have equally introspective stories focused on the second half of their lives. If you look at AB and JT, besides a new sound they each had story writing passion that came from personal experiences. That more than new sounds is what has been missing from their last 3 albums and that's exactly where SOI connects with me the most. Bono has re-tapped into a creative vein and is at his best using his and the bands lives as his backdrop. If the title of SOE is any indication than that personal writing style will continue. The 21st century albums mostly focused on political, causes, worldly issues, and 3rd person writing. But SOI, much like AB and JT is focused on them and first person experiences and that is absolutely when they are at their best. Think about it.

very well said :hug:

Well what I was hoping for was a Mrs. Garrison story on how it ended up being #3. ;)

Back
Top Bottom