Raised By Wolves - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song is so underrated live, to me it was the best song on the whole concert.

I havent caught any of the shows but have been watching songs on youtube.
Are there any particular shows I should look for that highlight this song?

Everything on this song is great, but Edge playing the piano and the guitar at the same time is fucking brilliant. It's a good improvement vs album version.

This song is so underrated live, to me it was the best song on the whole concert.

It was my amongst my least favorite songs on the album before the tour, but it's translated so well live. Easily one of the highlights of the show. The chorus, which sounds awkward in the studio version, just explodes live.

Everything on this song is great, but Edge playing the piano and the guitar at the same time is fucking brilliant. It's a good improvement vs album version.

I really love that myself :up:

this is going to be reeeeeeally hard to listen to live right now, plus the bomb segment - too raw

although brilliant and intense, i think it would be brutal to play it in Paris in particular - i was just listening to the live show on you tube and literally had to stop listening - they do it a little too well, too effective!! if i heard it at a live show (now, since the events on Friday night - i loved the segment at the show I saw last week!) it would be too much and i would have to get the hell out of there (but i can be a bit over-dramatic lol)

well considering firecrackers caused a stampede in Paris this weekend, i'm not sure how the explosion would go down... i honestly think it would be really insensitive actually

i honestly don't know... i'm coming from the perspective of a purely visceral reaction to the song/effects that's all... i really wasn't expecting to feel so horrible - it was just too close to the situation, "blood in the street", lyrics even... just had to stop listening... (eta: i adored that part of the show last week in Paris - was not a problem at all, but it's just that we woke up to a different world in France on Saturday morning, and everything has changed)

all i do know is that people here are seriously shaken - it's incredible how many were affected directly and indirectly - i keep hearing from friends, colleagues every day so far who were nearby, in the immediate vicinity and experienced the sheer terror and panic "like a war zone" one said, and yesterday my daughter heard that a friend of hers who recently moved to Paris is worrying about a friend who attended the gig and hasn't been heard from since... just hoping she is in a hospital somewhere...

i don't think it's about letting terrorists win, i think it's about empathy, identifying with how people might be feeling, and what they can cope with - do they really want to go to a U2 concert and feel pain?

maybe someone should do a poll with the Frenchie fans, maybe it wouldn't be a problem, i dunno

Last edited:
Ya, I did the same... listened to it and just got chills and shuddered when the simulation of the car bomb went off. The songs and the narrative are so relevant ...I find the whole thing surreal and spooky. I can only imagine how you must feel. :hug:

ps thank you for the hug jeannieco :hug:

I would be disappointed in U2 as artists if they'd decide not to play this song now.
IMO that would go against almost everything that the band is about.
I understand not everyone will appreciate it and some might even take offense, but that is the nature of art.

^ Thanks for writing down the same thoughts better than I've could.

I would be disappointed in U2 as artists if they'd decide not to play this song now.
I understand not everyone will appreciate it and some might even take offense, but that is the nature of art.

Exactly!!

And they didn't drop Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet or Please on the 3rd leg of Elevation.

It is relevant. Highly relevant. And this band has always been about shining a light on suffering and on evil and on rallying people to overcome it by coming together. Bridging differences. Expanding opportunity. Loving one another.

Now, should they do the explosion?

In Belfast and Dublin? Maybe.

Paris? Absolutely not.

And they won't.

They're no dummies.

Again, see Elevation Leg 3 after 9/11.

The gun theme of Bullet was dropped, as was the summer 2001 graphic about the 5 permanent members of the UNSC being the world's 5 biggest arms dealers.

I propose for Paris:

SBS in the form they're doing it now.

Bono mentions the attacks briefly and links it to Ireland. Segues into a plea for "no more" which is followed by a snippet of Please. Then RBW starts up.

The ending video can remain the same.

Bullet could maybe stay as is, but I'd understand if they didn't want the training camp images on the screen as well.

I see no trouble with Zooropa as is. I don't think refugees=terrorists, quite the opposite.

However, if in Paris they don't want to make a point that may be sensitive to some directly affected, no matter how misguided their views are, I understand.

And thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this terrible week with us. It's been wrenching and illuminating and very valuable to read your posts these past few days.

thanks Irvine, you're a sweetheart xxx it's such horrid times right now, it's nice to have a little place to dip in and out of to talk

i don't think any one would take offence, just find it emotionally difficult to listen to... obviously my doubts are only about when they return to Paris, as people take songs to their hearts and relate to them in their own situations, so worry it would be difficult in the Paris context now

maybe in time it could be ok, and a way of venting, facing the fear and pain... i don't know if that is a good or bad thing, just thinking out loud...

Exactly!!

And they didn't drop Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet or Please on the 3rd leg of Elevation.

It is relevant. Highly relevant. And this band has always been about shining a light on suffering and on evil and on rallying people to overcome it by coming together. Bridging differences. Expanding opportunity. Loving one another.

Now, should they do the explosion?

In Belfast and Dublin? Maybe.

Paris? Absolutely not.

And they won't.

They're no dummies.

Again, see Elevation Leg 3 after 9/11.

The gun theme of Bullet was dropped, as was the summer 2001 graphic about the 5 permanent members of the UNSC being the world's 5 biggest arms dealers.

I propose for Paris:

SBS in the form they're doing it now.

Bono mentions the attacks briefly and links it to Ireland. Segues into a plea for "no more" which is followed by a snippet of Please. Then RBW starts up.

The ending video can remain the same.

Bullet could maybe stay as is, but I'd understand if they didn't want the training camp images on the screen as well.

I see no trouble with Zooropa as is. I don't think refugees=terrorists, quite the opposite.

However, if in Paris they don't want to make a point that may be sensitive to some directly affected, no matter how misguided their views are, I understand.

thanks for this post :up:

seriously, it was just the "explosion" bit and the hard-hitting lyrics, which sadly depict our situation here too well right now, which got to me at a sensitive time...

the refugee segment has to stay, no question - it's more important than ever...

the big message going round France right now is to avoid what we call "amalgame" in French which means lumping Muslims with the terrorists (which is what Le Pen and her ilk do)

Very well stated :up:

Back
Top Bottom