Radio Radio - Moment of Surrender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"played" and "nightly staple" are two different things. I am sure it will get played at first, and then maybe ditched or jettisoned to acoustic edit status.

I just picture a mass exodus to get beer/bathroom breaks if they play this on a nightly basis--

oh, wait....lol! i'm sorry, i didn't realize you were joking this whole time. you almost had me. :wave:

Terry Lawless can play the synth. Edge can do the piano and switch to the guitar for that half a minute or so. (have Adam and Larry join in the chorus to replace Eno and Lanois on the album?)

The question is can Bono handle the vocal on a regular basis.

Terry Lawless can play the synth. Edge can do the piano and switch to the guitar for that half a minute or so. (have Adam and Larry join in the chorus to replace Eno and Lanois on the album?)

The question is can Bono handle the vocal on a regular basis.

yeah, i think Bono could handle it. while he's really putting himself out there, the vocals aren't actually as challenging as they sound.

MOS will be the tour's highlight. I have a feeling something special is in store for this one live - call it "feeling a tremor in the force." And I wish they'd have the balls to release it as a single in all it's 7 min and 24 second glory.

Wait and see people. Wait and see.

No, I think its the fact that it is very mellow without any signature U2 crescendo. Their shows have always catered to the masses, and with each album, every song has to fight even harder to get played. Will it get played--yes. But I think the rsponse in a stadium will be underwhelming, and they will realize this. I am sorry, this song does not have the classic U2-ness that a crowd of 60,000+ will take to in a stadium setting.

They are not a band that shuffles the setlist--As a Horizon member I hope I am wrong (I'd love to hear it), but U2's setlists have always been on the "safe" side. I really do like the song, but I just do not see it breaking through--Cedars also has that beautiful subtle shimmer, and I can guarantee that will not get played on a regular basis (if at all).

No, I think its the fact that it is very mellow without any signature U2 crescendo. Their shows have always catered to the masses, and with each album, every song has to fight even harder to get played. Will it get played--yes. But I think the rsponse in a stadium will be underwhelming, and they will realize this. I am sorry, this song does not have the classic U2-ness that a crowd of 60,000+ will take to in a stadium setting.

They are not a band that shuffles the setlist--As a Horizon member I hope I am wrong (I'd love to hear it), but U2's setlists have always been on the "safe" side. I really do like the song, but I just do not see it breaking through--Cedars also has that beautiful subtle shimmer, and I can guarantee that will not get played on a regular basis (if at all).

True. But we have no idea at this point what songs U2 will put into the setlist, so the vibe may transcend live depending on when and alongside other songs it's played. I'm going mostly by the fact that U2 has a long history of elevating (no pun intended) studio tracks into the live setting (40, Bad, Mysterious Ways, etc).

I'm giving the boys the benefit of the doubt on this one :wink:

I hear you, and like I said, I hope I am wrong--Mind you MW was a single. 40 was played live three years into their "career" when they only had 3 or 4 "hits" and is arguably more melodic than MOS. MOS is beautiful in a understated way (feels like a meditative ISHFWILF to me--without the hooks and melody), but there is not a lot going on in the song--at the core; not talking about the production.

The comparison to Bad is laughable, IMO--It is the quintessential live U2 song with a HUGE crescendo (all def to Streets).

I hope I am wrong--I just do not see this being played nightly in the U.S.

If they put it out as a single, it could. (please do this U2, I beg you)

(I'd love to hear it), but U2's setlists have always been on the "safe" side. , and I can guarantee that will not get played on a regular basis (if at all).

Oh, I so hope you are wrong, too. for those of us that would love to hear MOS, in it's entirety, live. They don't have to conform to the mainstream and this is a good time to break away from the usual.

I can only see it as a 4th single, and I'd even be shocked at that. I hope I am wrong too, but with basically one show in each city, the masses (not the die hards) will be catered to. I think the studio version of Bad is also the quintessential U2 song--U2 always steps up their songs live (with a few exceptions) that is what makes them such a great live band.

Metallica released The Day that Never Comes at a whopping 7:56mins. U2 should grow some balls and do the same....

^I don't think i ever heard more than about 3:30 of the song on the radio though

it's not so much about U2 having the balls to release it
it's about radio having the balls to play it without needing a mutilated version
and I don't think that last bit will happen anytime soon (some exceptions set aside of course)

Back
Top Bottom