Quote from Eno re new U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything Eno touches more often than not turns into gold, dipped in chocolate, covered in sex.

I'm in.

Lancemc said:
Anything Eno touches more often than not turns into gold, dipped in chocolate, covered in sex.

I'm in.

ATYLCB was dipped in something that looked like chocolate, but it sure don't taste like it.

And I'm sure the new Coldplay will have a similar odeur.

ludvic said:

:huh: You need to get a new interest. One that you can actually, you know....enjoy.

My point is that almost anything would sound better than the stuff the band has been spouting over the past 5 or so years.

shart1780 said:

My point is that almost anything would sound better than the stuff the band has been spouting over the past 5 or so years.

You've exposed yourself as a poor listener of music before.

Comparing 1/2 hour old, 30 second snippets of songs with older tunes. Shame.

http://forum.interference.com/t181513.html

Use better judgment in the future, and your opinion will be met with more than a snicker and complete disregard.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

That's not what you said at all... You've become a parody of a cliche, come back when you can talk about things with substance... that includes all subjects.

shart1780 said:

ah, and here was me thinking you just found another opportunity to moan about the band without having an actual point to make

don't I look like a fool now

lazarus said:
And I'm sure the new Coldplay will have a similar odeur.
Eno is still a man, not a god
I'm not going to hold anything Coldplay will release against him

lazarus said:

ATYLCB was dipped in something that looked like chocolate, but it sure don't taste like it.
I think the production of ATYCLB is superb in vision and execution

you can tell that the album sounds exactly like they wanted it to sound

whether you agree with the choices made on the chosen direction is a different matter, but the execution remains brilliant

Salome said:
you can tell that the album sounds exactly like they wanted it to sound

I think this is a good point. Seems like U2 is always surprised at the end of their project what they've got on their hands, but ATYCLB seems pretty clear in its direction and intent.

PookaMacP said:
This really depends on how you read it. When I read it I thought it sounded like he meant 'I think it will probably sound more like U2 as the sound develops.'

See, it strikes me as having negative connotations. I regularly use the phrase "I think it will do", and it never means anything other than "well, I'm not really happy with this and I think it could be considerably better, but it should satisfactorily fulfill its intended purpose".

Thanks to the Eno fans for clarifying that it's a typical understatement.

Eno is so fucking brilliant.

I mean, shit. Without a doubt one of the most brilliant people in modern music history. Going from Here Comes the Warm Jets to Ambient 1 to all of his producing projects, the dude's a fucking genius.

Love him.

I think the next album is going to be something of a test for the band. After AB, Zooropa and Pop, I really wanted them to continue in the "experimental" direction. While I love ATYCLB and Bomb - especially Bomb, which is a gorgeous record - I was also disappointed that those records broke so little ground, and were in many ways a retrenching, a return to safe territory.
U2 have never made three records in a row without making a significant shift in style. If they make another album that stands as a companion piece to ATYCLB and Bomb, I think it might signal the end of their vitality. Not that they would cease to be a good band, but some profound part of their greatness - their restless inventiveness - would be gone, maybe forever.
I think that Bono's comments, as well as Eno's, might be an indication that the band really are prepared to do something new this time around. But maybe I'm just reading them the way I want to read them.

Fuck it, I think they have two U2 albums out of all of this and b-sides a-plenty. Whether it's two albums off the bat, or a Kid A/ Amnesiac deal, this is what I'm pulling for.

And if a 2-album set off the bat turns out to be the case, I'd like to see them throw them all together and find an amazing setlist, as opposed to what the Foo Fighters did with In Your Honor. Either way, I just want to hear what they've been working on because I have a funny feeling that it will be career defining.

Axver said:

See, it strikes me as having negative connotations. I regularly use the phrase "I think it will do", and it never means anything other than "well, I'm not really happy with this and I think it could be considerably better, but it should satisfactorily fulfill its intended purpose".

Thanks to the Eno fans for clarifying that it's a typical understatement.
the phrase 'tongue in cheek' comes to mind. you're takin it too literally, pimpin'

Back
Top Bottom