Q Magazine - U2 in October 2008 - In the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read Bill Flanagan's book ? It wasn't sabotage, just a disagreement on their next move (btw Lanois felt the same way they did) and Eno showed them they can do both - have good songs as well as forming a new sound. Personally I tended to lean on Adam and Larry's side of that story. "Where's the songs" indeed.

Speaking of "he is also the task-master who gets in each member's face if he thinks they aren't delivering" he can start with himself for most of this decade and Edge on the last album. This from a guy that defended the habit that almost crippled his own job in the band.

I think most people prefer for most part the released versions.

Who? Bono? He's the one who came out and said that Bomb doesn't hold together well as an album. Spot on.

Larry. He'd be the national hero of the forum had he felt the "Passengers/Pop" way about the last two albums.

And I don't see that as something huge - Bono just stated the obvious. He also said Bomb was their best album after AB.

Yeah, I guess we have pretty different opinions about a lot of U2's material, which is probably why we're disagreeing here.

I see what you're saying.

Well, given the variety of their music, disagreements will happen.

:up: I see your point too.

Larry and Adam's apprehension over the change in sound they were taking towards AB practically broke up the band...instead it produced their greatest work.

If it's 2009, then what? March, ala POP?

Oooh...they could book the tour now and not finish the album in time....then say how unprepared they were when the tour starts.....

Then remix it, making it worse, 5 years later.:hyper:

I couldn't agree more...sitting on a album ......leads to second guessing....leads to overproducing it....like HTDAAB

Or worseas JOFO said...not letting go of it....and completely ruining it 5 years later with new versions of songs that didn't need new versions.

Here's a previous scan from 2004, around the same time four years ago it seems.
Remember: Don't go nuts, this is from 2004 people! ;)
A few "errors": "Working title: Vertigo" and the tracks "Yaweh" & "City of Burning Lights"

QOctober2004.jpg

Larry and Adam's apprehension over the change in sound they were taking towards AB practically broke up the band...instead it produced their greatest work.

Very true indeed.

Each member of the band has mentioned this group dynamic about a billion times in interviews over the years.

They rarely if ever completely agree on the music. Its the checks and balances in the band that prevent Bono and Edge from making a disco dance record and Adam and Larry from making a muzak elevator record. Just exxagerating, but you get the point. So, by this point in their careers I wouldn't worry about any "disagreements" that may be occuring post production. I believe those "disagreements" are not only very healthy for the band, but very NECESSARY.

I also think the album will be out THIS year...FWIW.

Relax, the album will be out this year. It simply HAS to!
Remember Lanois saying early in June that there were 3-4 weeks work left? Then there were those stories in the newspapers at the end of that month saying how U2 were celebrating finishing the album. Then all of a sudden Bono is in France for weeks and blaring out finished songs on his stereo. It's done, guys. And from a business standpoint, to delay the album from November (huge Thanksgiving, then Xmas sales) to the deadness of January or later when nobody has any money and no one is buying albums would be completely stupid. With the state that the record industry is in at the moment it needs U2's huge sales, and let's be honest, after the huge success of the last two albums, the only way this album could fail is if it's completely rubbish, and having heard the beach clips, one may assume that it's not.
Either way, i guess we'll know for sure within a few weeks.

Yes. The only "X" factor is if they decided that they weren't quite happy with what they thought was the completed album and decided to start tweaking it and/or adding to it.

we're hearing something Tuesday? says who?

says JOFO...pure speculation...JOFO just said a few days ago that he has a feeling that we're going to here something this holiday weekend....we probably won't, but we can dream I guess :shrug:

I have a feeling this album will be the greatest album ever created and a masterpiece on every single level. It will revolutionize the world of music....just a feeling.

I have a feeling this album will be the greatest album ever created and a masterpiece on every single level. It will revolutionize the world of music....just a feeling.

Gee, those are quite expectations to have for this album. You might set yourself up for dissapointment..

:reject: Is Mercy really that bad?? I adore Mercy...and think if the new album is that uncensored, it'll be one of the best yet. I agree that I don't want the album rushed, but I don't want it overproduced.... but in reality, can't we be happy that we have both Native Son and Vertigo? Xanax And Wine and Fast Cars. Both versions of All Because of You? Lady With the Spinning Head and Ultraviolet/The Fly/Zoo Station? etc. ... If we only had one we wouldn't complain becuase we wouldn't have anything to compare it to. Have faith and trust the boys, they aren't stupid. Whatever they do will be great, or at least good enough for the naysayers. I'm just happy they're still making music they're excited about.

:reject: Is Mercy really that bad??

No, it's not. It's awesome.

I remember a fan asking a band member (Adam or Bono, can't remember which) whether or not Mercy was still in the cards for the album and they said yes. I think that the odds of it making the album are very good, especially since the band is apparently using some of the old Rubin songs as well.

This next album will never be considered their best. U2 are too old: for the press and for the fan community.

Both always need to make its appreciations based on comparisons with the past work. JT and AB will never fall down of their pedestal, but U2 can do that yet.
Fans will never consider it their best because they'll be always complaint about any stupid and irrelevant detail that will be spread across the web community. Something that was not possible to happen in JT and AB eras.

Jofo is one of the biggest douches on this forum. He's always wrong and needs to shut the fuck up

Maybe the Nov. date is for the first single, which they'll release on CD? Then the rest of album early next year, then tour. But I am thinking they'd be silly to miss the Christmas season for album sales.

Also, "Get on Your Boots" reminds me of "Get On Your Feet" by Edge's fellow doctorette, Gloria Estefan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom