Psychic Readings: ask The Slow Loris anything about the new album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all U2 albums have ended with darkness bar the last two.

Um, no... We've had some bittersweet endings, some melancoly ones, some questioning, and even a love song... So I wouldn't say they all end in darkness.

Darkness is better

I'm just as big of fan as the next guy of the darker side of music, but I don't agree with this statement at all.

I think U2's strength is to deliver hope in songs despite of the darkness. I see this with most of their songs that end albums. The darkest one - in terms of: most desperate one - certainly is Wake Up Dead Man. I wouldn't call it "better", just because it's dark. U2 can make bittersweet music, that can be heartbreaking and still hopeful at the same time, this is one of the things that make them great.

Loris, if you can talk to the band at all by some remote stretch of possibility, please tell them that if they really are going to release a song called "Sexy Boots," that they should reconsider before they totally embarrass themselves. :no:

Dear Slow Loris

Beach clip number #4 is looking out to be an amazing song (as are the rest).
Is this Cedars of Lebanon?
And do you think Walk Out Into the Streets (presumed song title) will be on the album now that it's one of the beach clips?
Well done on your psychic readings, they seem to be very accurate ;)

- Jonathan

I wouldn't be calling the Wanderer dark. It may have some dark content, but the music is about as preppy as it comes

'Preppy' is not the right word to describe 'The Wanderer', in fact, it may be the worst word. Many words come to mind describing that song- desparate, longing, mystic, haunting, exotic, redeeming, but I don't hear the musical equivalent of a snobby guy wearing boat shoes with no socks, khaki shorts, a polo shirt with the collar popped and a pastel sweater around the shoulders with a god awful politician haircut blowing through the breeze on a vomit colored yacht. That is not 'The Wanderer' I hear. :mad: Preppy, really??? Maroon 5 is preppy :tsk:

'Preppy' is not the right word to describe 'The Wanderer', in fact, it may be the worst word. I don't hear the musical equivalent of a snobby guy wearing boat shoes with no socks, khaki shorts, a polo shirt with the collar popped and a pastel sweater around the shoulders with a god awful politician haircut blowing through the breeze on a vomit colored yacht. That is not 'The Wanderer' I hear. :mad: Preppy, really???:tsk:

I wasn't saying the song is preppy. the music is poppy synth, throwaway and effect laden. It sounds a bit preppy to me. You have a very specific idea of what preppy is?

What else other imagery is preppy supposed to conjure? I've only heard the word used to describe fashion or social status, but never a song, especially one where Johnny Cash anchors the mic

If you are saying preppy = easy to throw away, I guess I follow, but that song has so much depth that preppy kills me.

as i said, im not making any judgements on the lyrics or meaning of the song. Where I come from, Preppy describes someone or something that is so caught up in current fashions or ideas, things that really date.

It generally describes sounds that are a bit cheesey, a bit shallow (sound, not content!) and often don't date well.

You have to admit with the Wanderer (I love it BTW), it wouldn't particularly suit the current music world. If they released it now, it would be met with a kind of cold reception.

I spose preppy wasn;t the right word to use, but my point about it being a bit boppy, and bit too cheesey for a song that is so deep.

I was more responding to the idea that all the songs sound dark at the end of the album, where, using this as an example, is not a dark "sounding" song

oh lordy....this preppy talk is getting just a tad tiring, guys :wink:

I think the Slow Loris needs to return to this thread! :waiting:

1) can we expect something REALLY unexpected from the new Album?

2) ...is there any hard electro & industrial sound on the new album?

3) How much titles will compose the new Album ?

Thanx 4 the replies!
*sipping juice of mango*

There is a little "hard" electro on this album, but I wouldn't really call it industrial.

12 songs.

but is sexy boots the title?
Could be... I would have to listen to the song... Lorises don't need boots, sexy or otherwise. Anyway, I would have to say yes.

Dear Mr. Loris, I have a few questions for you. 1) What type of tour will U2 have for this album? Will it be arena's with the same vibe as the Elevation Tour and Vertigo? Or will U2 be playing stadium's again? 2) How does this new album begin and end? Does the ending have a sign of hope, or does the album end with a feeling of darkness? 3) Is there any sign of electro, trance, and middle eastern? If not what kind of musical style is it? Thanks! :)
I see U2 starting in arenas and moving to stadiums very quickly. The new album begins differently than any other U2 album, and ends in euphoria. It doesn't end in darkness.

There are signs of all of the above - electro, trance, as well as middle eastern influences. It is very much a rock record with huge pop sensibilities however. This album will surprise many people -- even shock people with its quality. U2 have had so many years of experience honing their craft that everything has now come together in this reunification with Eno and Lanois. All the years of experimentation, making mistakes, and songwriting discipline have now crystalized into arguably the most cohesive and accomplished album of their career. U2 have finally done what they set out to do in the first place well over 25 years ago. This is the album of their lives.

Loris, if you can talk to the band at all by some remote stretch of possibility, please tell them that if they really are going to release a song called "Sexy Boots," that they should reconsider before they totally embarrass themselves. :no:
U2 are well past the point of embarrassment.

Dear Slow Loris

Beach clip number #4 is looking out to be an amazing song (as are the rest).
Is this Cedars of Lebanon?
And do you think Walk Out Into the Streets (presumed song title) will be on the album now that it's one of the beach clips?
Well done on your psychic readings, they seem to be very accurate ;)

- Jonathan
No to the first question, and yes to the second question.
I'm only a Loris, but I try my best. I guess we'll see when the album comes out ;)

Dear Slow Loris,

Any of the following on the new album:

-distorted or altered vocals?

-drum machine parts?

-"chingy" U2-esque guitar?

-string sections?

-thunderous african style drum work?

-drum beats with uncommon timing? ....atleast as far as U2 are concerned (i.e. intro to Where the Streets Have No Name)

-super stripped down song? (i.e. October or Wake Up Dead Man)

-songs referencing specific current world events, directly or indirectly? (if so, which events?)

Just wondering...Thanks a bunch!

Dear Slow Loris:

Are you Bono?

:D
That would be hilaroius! A Slow Loris wearing wrap around shades.

Dear Slow Loris,

Any of the following on the new album:

-distorted or altered vocals?

-drum machine parts?

-"chingy" U2-esque guitar?

-string sections?

-thunderous african style drum work?

-drum beats with uncommon timing? ....atleast as far as U2 are concerned (i.e. intro to Where the Streets Have No Name)

-super stripped down song? (i.e. October or Wake Up Dead Man)

-songs referencing specific current world events, directly or indirectly? (if so, which events?)

Just wondering...Thanks a bunch!
Yes, to some degree, to all of the questions. The rhythm section is allowed to experiment on this record...new timings, but no thunderous African drum work...African influenced, just not thunderous. I feel this album is sort of a calling out to the people to take a good hard look at themselves in the time we live in. It's an album asking us to surrender to ourselves so that we may surrender to each other...to put down our arms with open arms. A personal record, though camouflaged with the political. At the center of all things is where the line disappears...and this is the main theme of this album....surrendering to that place where the line disappears from the personal and the political. Like getting from the bark of a tree to the middle where the rings get so small they disappear...scaling back to the center of our lives..the political becoming the personal.

Dear Loris:

1) Will they play in Latinamerica?

If the answer is YES I will send you ricos mangos from here where they grow wild :flirt:
Si!

has the slow loris left the building?
My time among you is almost at end. The glory must ascend and take its place with all the other mango trees...but never fear...I leave behind beach clips for each of you! ;)

Dear Loris!

Is there any very dark songs on the new Album ....if the answer is YES....how can u describe these songs?

thanx

The personal is often political, even if we're not aware of that.
In some places going down to the shop to buy some things and that (do yo want anything?) can also be a political statement.

BTW, hey Loris will there be any truely acoustic numbers on this one?

What do you complain about? If you want a non-political band, you are fan of the wrong band, absolutely.
If they would be political a little then no wrong but they are political as hell!! Do you think when Bono stops in the middle of consert for talk his political views for 15 minutes it's ok? :banghead: People pay for he sings but not for he thrust his opinion on us!:down:

U2 have always been a political band, face it. If you don't like it, go and listen to some band that's on the charts today. Don't go to a U2 concerts if you don't like political messages. You're fan of the wrong band, really. I hope they never stop being political. And like someone else here said: The personal and the political are often the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom