Psychic Readings: ask The Slow Loris anything about the new album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh great slow loris, any idea how soon we might be hearing something official from this album?

edit: also, might that "all my life" song mentioned have anything to do with the spiderman musical?

Last edited:
Dearest Slow Loris,
Will we get to hear the song that Michael W. Smith appeared on? Will it be on this album?

Hey Slow Loris,

Thanks for answering my first question. I have two more if you have a chance:

1. Does The Edge bring any new guitar effects into the mix? Any thing out there like his phaser effect on "Numb".

2. Do you know where Dalkey Beach is? Can we expect him around for the usual pre-album buzz?

well thank you for taking the time to respond anyway....i ve got 2 more for the road :

- Do you think that most people who disliked the 2 previous records will like this one?
- if you listened to bits of this new one...would you rate it as "masterpiece" or "not so bad for middle-aged dudes"?

oh great slow loris, any idea how soon we might be hearing something official from this album?

edit: also, might that "all my life" song mentioned have anything to do with the spiderman musical?
Greetings humans! *Swinging wildly from the nearest branch*

You will hear something official within the next few weeks. I feel the song you are referring to will not be on this album. It is too good to discard, and will be a big hit on one of the side projects U2 will invariably come up with, possibly a soundtrack album.
Do Larry and Adam love the album?

Any cool time signatures on the album (and no, 6/8 does not count)?
Yes, they practically ARE the album. Sequencers abound.
Oh wise Loris,

Will the album feature a concert opener as good as Zoo Station or Mofo?
Depends on your taste. In my opinion, better than Mofo.

Dearest Slow Loris,
Will we get to hear the song that Michael W. Smith appeared on? Will it be on this album?
At some point, but not on this album.

will this be a single or double album?
Single album. It could have easily been a double or even a tripple. They may release more songs after the first release.

Hey Slow Loris,

Thanks for answering my first question. I have two more if you have a chance:

1. Does The Edge bring any new guitar effects into the mix? Any thing out there like his phaser effect on "Numb".

2. Do you know where Dalkey Beach is? Can we expect him around for the usual pre-album buzz?
Many guitar effects, but not in the way you are describing.
I do not know this human of which you speak...but there is a place by that name.

well thank you for taking the time to respond anyway....i ve got 2 more for the road :

- Do you think that most people who disliked the 2 previous records will like this one?
- if you listened to bits of this new one...would you rate it as "masterpiece" or "not so bad for middle-aged dudes"?
They will at first, and then they will probably criticize it, and then they will come around again as usual. Then there will be the ones who will criticize it at first, then wish U2 would release another album in the same vein only to be disappointed when U2 once again changes directions.

I will say this album is a HUGE progression in songwriting from the previous two albums. There are songs on this album that float and meander, and there are songs on this album that crystalize into perfect structure and melody only once you have lifted off to that place where only music can take you. There are moments of euphoria that march on like drum beats over endless seas and brightly lit skies....melodies that reveal themselves over time and driving bass lines with electronic rhythms that support fervant guitar lines. The sky feels like it is being ripped open only to reveal endless sunshine and a willingness to take on anything.

It will be worth the wait.

Anyway, not to say I have listened to the album, but I would rate it as a masterpiece. The best U2 has released since Achtung Baby.

:wave: the slow loris, i'm not sure what to ask. maybe, when will the new album come out? i'm still attached to HTDAAB because i think it's so good.

sorry Loris for asking such a question but i'm suffering from exhaustion, heat and sun stroke and too much drinking.

I will say this album is a HUGE progression in songwriting from the previous two albums. There are songs on this album that float and meander, and there are songs on this album that crystalize into perfect structure and melody only once you have lifted off to that place where only music can take you. There are moments of euphoria that march on like drum beats over endless seas and brightly lit skies....melodies that reveal themselves over time and driving bass lines with electronic rhythms that support fervant guitar lines. The sky feels like it is being ripped open only to reveal endless sunshine and a willingness to take on anything.

good gosh. if this is true, i will mail you mangoes every monday.

Oh Great and merciful Slow Loris, I have but three questions for you, if only you would oblige me and grace me with your knowledge.

1)If you could describe the album in terms of sound, how would you describe it?
2)Is there any significant or personal theme that relates to any of the band members?
3)Could you describe what the best song on the album will sound like?

Dear Slow Loris,

- Will Larry get a bit more excited about hitting his drum kit like he used to?
- Does Bono sound like a bird really? Is there any new singing style?

Thank you so much for making interferencers dream all over again....

Slow Loris you have me by the knackers with these readings!!

Questions:

Does the album lend itself to a more stripped back tour or a something at the other end of the scale?

What have the band been listening too that may have inspired them during the album session?

Cheers,
Jim

Some more questions for the ever so lovely Loris:

1) Not just Bono and The Edge has described their amount of material for this album. Adam mentioned something last summer about having 30-40 small pieces to build the album on when that day would come. According to you, that seems to be true but we won't get a double/triple album this time. So I'm wondering; will we get any original b-sides with this album? More than with the last record? (Are You Gonna Wait Forever - basically a All That You Can't Leave Behind outtake)

2) The ones of us following fan reports on location in Dublin the past couple of months have noticed how U2 decided to bring in a couple of fans inside their recording studio, presumably to let the fans comment on the new material. (I've seen myself how Sam came out and invited a fan this past April.) Some have also listened to live rehearsals it seems. I've basically been a fan since All That You Can't Leave Behind, and I don't know if they done it before that but here's my question: What is it that made U2 decide to bring in some actual fans (not just the mail delivery man etc.) in the middle of the recording process all of a sudden, months before the album was to be completed? Did they feel happy with the material to the extent that they were comfortable with sharing it with their fans at an early stage? Did they perhaps want to reward the ("crazy, stalking" :lol:) fans even more than just coming out to greet them? Or both?

3) Final question at this time. Judging by the Lanois trailer and the U2.com reports - it seems like Bono has taken a genuine interest in playing the guitar again. He also played some guitar on the last leg of the Vertigo Tour - on Original of The Species, with Edge on the piano - not just wee bits of strumming (The Fly, Running To Stand Still). Will we hear more guitar-playing from Bono just like on the Joshua Tree tour again in the near future?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hmm the bono guitar question is interesting yes, he also did it quite well on the popmart tour, also wish he would do it more this time around.

I find that Bono looks a tad ridiculous with that giant green behemoth during live shows. Especially when he only strums it once every 15 seconds. I'd rather he just do his running/weird dancing mic thing.

TSL is it true that on this album Edge sings 90% of the lead vocals and Bono only sings lead on one song?

In the same vein Bono plays lead guitar on most of the album?

Now that my friends would be a major change in direction for the band!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom