Predictions For The New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's not wrong about a lot of things. The song isn't really that great, and were it not riding the coattails of Mandela's death, nobody would pay it any mind at all.

Also, Bono doesn't sound very good on the song, and Edge is on autopilot.

He's not wrong about a lot of things. The song isn't really that great, and were it not riding the coattails of Mandela's death, nobody would pay it any mind at all.

Also, Bono doesn't sound very good on the song, and Edge is on autopilot.

Riiiiiiight, when was the last time you listened to a song because it was on the "coattails of a dead person"?

Ordinary Love has grown on me a lot.

I hate the whole auto pilot argument too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't know any other band or player that gets the "autopilot" argument as much as U2 on this forum. There are guitar players that would sell their souls for a signature sound. I wonder what players aren't considered on autopilot?

"Edge on autopilot" = Edge doing something he is good at but I don't like it

I particularly smh at the Tweet where he says he has no sympathy for the victim who got shot in the movie theatre for texting during the previews.

And then further informs his followers that he actually means it.

Wasn't he also the bloke who was complaining about people jumping up and down at a Radiohead concert?

Autopilot isn't the right word, but I think it's fair to criticize him for some of NLOTH. Magnificent and Moment of Surrender could have absolutely benefited from him doing more, especially the former.

I don't know any other band or player that gets the "autopilot" argument as much as U2 on this forum. There are guitar players that would sell their souls for a signature sound. I wonder what players aren't considered on autopilot?

Alex Lifeson and Jonny Greenwood maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

1. 11 or 12-song track listing, with maybe one 'genuine' b-side.
2. Edge will sing lead on one of the last songs on the album.
3. Theme? Optimism meets melodic industrialism... or something like that!
4. The tracks that have the slightest hint of ambiance will be held up on a pedestal by a select few on here, while the songs featuring the slightest hint of a guitar or vocal hook will be detested by those same folk. The later group of songs will bring accusations of them being last minute compositions and why the band can't "write what they want to". ;)
5. It'll be released on a whim, with the promise of another album to follow shortly.

Alex Lifeson and Jonny Greenwood maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

:yes:

I do think PhilsFan has a point with The Edge on NLOTH especially MOS - I think it could have been a beyond epic song with some more Edge.

Regardless of themes, etc, it's a make or break album for the band going forward. If it receives the kind of general apathy NLOTH got, I could see it being their last studio album with only the occasional sporadic single peppering the next decade. On the other hand, if it's a decent or even massive success, it could give new life to the band and hopefully be the kick in the pants for them to put out more than one new studio album every 4-5 years.

Personally, I think U2 is at the same creative point the Rolling Stones were in the mid 90's. Their best work is likely behind them and I have to agree with "Acrobat's" comments about the new song. Sure, among the hardcore fanbase, "Ordinary Love" got a lot of attention but if it not for Mandela's death, it would have slipped the general listening public's conscious a lot sooner than it already has even with a likely short-lived Oscar bump in March.

I'll never get why they didn't release that song instead of WITS. Would have been huge.

Predictions. ..

The final song will be fairly subdued.

There will be an earnest ballad as track number 3.

Lots of piano.

Very melodic, a lot more piano, lots of harmony, lots of falsetto, more rhythm than the last 3 albums combined, some adventure, and a return to the ethereal with the best songs on the album (for example, 'Invisible'). The production will be very clean and crisp, without sacrificing atmosphere. If I were to use only one word to describe the sound of the album as a whole, I would choose, "expansive".

Bleed into One

Regardless of themes, etc, it's a make or break album for the band going forward. If it receives the kind of general apathy NLOTH got, I could see it being their last studio album with only the occasional sporadic single peppering the next decade. On the other hand, if it's a decent or even massive success, it could give new life to the band and hopefully be the kick in the pants for them to put out more than one new studio album every 4-5 years.

Personally, I think U2 is at the same creative point the Rolling Stones were in the mid 90's. Their best work is likely behind them and I have to agree with "Acrobat's" comments about the new song. Sure, among the hardcore fanbase, "Ordinary Love" got a lot of attention but if it not for Mandela's death, it would have slipped the general listening public's conscious a lot sooner than it already has even with a likely short-lived Oscar bump in March.

I agree mostly but I will never set much store by Ordinary Love. First of all I thought that it was an okay song. But for better or worse it cannot be seen as a sign of things to come vis a vis the new album. It was a song for a movie. Long and short of it is that. I gave it about twenty listens and am satisfied that U2 haven't let themselves down.
But where I agree with you is U2 have left their 'best' work behind. It may not be because they are musically spent or done. I have a core group of friends who are all U2 fans and one of them laments the fact that they don't quite stir the passion as they did in the 80s and early 90s. I really don't mind, because as I tell him it's because they are in their 50s trying to hack it in a young man's game. The most I can ever ask of them is for them to stay true to themselves. They are not men in their 20s coming to terms with the injustices of this world, they are men in their 50s who have already sort of come to terms with that and their music is a kind of expression of that uneasy comfort. And let's face it, that's not what the shrinking numbers of rock fans want, they want angst. That is what makes me think that U2 will not get any new fans anymore. They are stuck with us. I am a U2 fan because (save a few exceptions) I like their sensibility in music and lyrics.
I can't see it being a massive success, because the weight of history's ageing bands suggest otherwise. But I am looking forward to it anyway. For them to pull off a massive success one of two things have to happen: a) they somehow have to stumble upon a pop formula (not being true to themselves)that will see them churn out three or four hit singles, or b) they have to reinvent themselves in such a way that makes the concerns and issues of comfortable, rich, middle-aged men (staying true to themselves) universally appealing to a young audience. I don't see it as likely that they will do either. If they do, then they will be the first to do so.
When NLOTH came out (coincidentally the last time I have been on these boards, mark me down as one of those:reject:) someone said that U2 don't seem to bleed music anymore. I can't help but think that is true. There were some fine songs in NLOTH if you think of the record as four middle-aged guys being creative, and the title number is not the least of them. My example of bleeding music is The Killers and Kings of Leon. I live in Bangladesh and am a bit cut off from the latest slices of pop culture, but the killers seem to be the band that possess the 'blind ambition' that made U2 great. I will be happy if U2 can start bleeding music again, whatever the tone.

I agree mostly but I will never set much store by Ordinary Love. First of all I thought that it was an okay song. But for better or worse it cannot be seen as a sign of things to come vis a vis the new album. It was a song for a movie. Long and short of it is that. I gave it about twenty listens and am satisfied that U2 haven't let themselves down.
But where I agree with you is U2 have left their 'best' work behind. It may not be because they are musically spent or done. I have a core group of friends who are all U2 fans and one of them laments the fact that they don't quite stir the passion as they did in the 80s and early 90s. I really don't mind, because as I tell him it's because they are in their 50s trying to hack it in a young man's game. The most I can ever ask of them is for them to stay true to themselves. They are not men in their 20s coming to terms with the injustices of this world, they are men in their 50s who have already sort of come to terms with that and their music is a kind of expression of that uneasy comfort. And let's face it, that's not what the shrinking numbers of rock fans want, they want angst. That is what makes me think that U2 will not get any new fans anymore. They are stuck with us. I am a U2 fan because (save a few exceptions) I like their sensibility in music and lyrics.
I can't see it being a massive success, because the weight of history's ageing bands suggest otherwise. But I am looking forward to it anyway. For them to pull off a massive success one of two things have to happen: a) they somehow have to stumble upon a pop formula (not being true to themselves)that will see them churn out three or four hit singles, or b) they have to reinvent themselves in such a way that makes the concerns and issues of comfortable, rich, middle-aged men (staying true to themselves) universally appealing to a young audience. I don't see it as likely that they will do either. If they do, then they will be the first to do so.
When NLOTH came out (coincidentally the last time I have been on these boards, mark me down as one of those:reject:) someone said that U2 don't seem to bleed music anymore. I can't help but think that is true. There were some fine songs in NLOTH if you think of the record as four middle-aged guys being creative, and the title number is not the least of them. My example of bleeding music is The Killers and Kings of Leon. I live in Bangladesh and am a bit cut off from the latest slices of pop culture, but the killers seem to be the band that possess the 'blind ambition' that made U2 great. I will be happy if U2 can start bleeding music again, whatever the tone.
Beautifully put, and sadly right on the money. U2 are still impeccable in every aspect. They are the consumate perfectionists and professionals. But the last time their music bled (to my ears, anyway) was 'Miss Sarajevo', and before that, 'Stay'. Since then, they have made valient attempts at bleeding ('Please', 'Gone', etc), but have sort of missed the mark dealing with their newly found comfort zone.

I wouldn't say it's sad, just inevitable. I mean, these guys have staved off inevitability for a long, long time. By inevitability, I don't mean to say they have become crap, I still love their music but relevance is declining, that is what's inevitable.
And the bleeding part, to my ears ABOY trickled some blood. Not saying it was the most brilliant, but I think it sounded like it flowed naturally.
But bring on the new album. U2 still excites me, I pity the fools who don't know what a U2 album means

I wouldn't say it's sad, just inevitable. I mean, these guys have staved off inevitability for a long, long time. By inevitability, I don't mean to say they have become crap, I still love their music but relevance is declining, that is what's inevitable.
And the bleeding part, to my ears ABOY trickled some blood. Not saying it was the most brilliant, but I think it sounded like it flowed naturally.
But bring on the new album. U2 still excites me, I pity the fools who don't know what a U2 album means
Yes, actually I realized I forgot a (somewhat) recent song that definitely bleeds. 'Kite' is the sound of a man coming to very real terms about losing someone. That is U2 being very true themselves, yet still relating universally to just about anyone with a heartbeat.

Kite bled rivers. Its a song that is so true that I find it hard to listen to

Kite (especially live 2006) and MOS are the two best songs of the '00s. More of that please, the bittersweet ache of coming to terms with loss, with what will never be, and the space between who we are and what we were and what we wish we were.

I think the earlier prediction of "expansive" will be right on the money.

Back
Top Bottom