Predict the singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do traditional Singles matter anymore ?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

After The Miracle _ 1) Ebw 2) Song for someone 3) Cedarwood

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

I want it more than think it will happen. Something that might get non U2 fans to listen to them.

But the radio stations that would want to play U2 won't look beyond 2005. And the non U2 fans you mention wouldn't be listening to those radio stations anyway. Catch 22 as far as radio play is concerned.

And what song is more radio friendly than it? It's not like U2 is going to get much play here in the States outside of the Triple A format and even they aren't going to be excited about playing "Volcano"...

"Crazy Tonight" was mostly loathed around here right away, yet it was released as a single and was the only track to make a key Best Songs of The Year list outside of Rolling Stone's NLOTH wankfest (PopMatter's Best Songs of 2009)...on top of that, it energized the audience when they performed it normally on Letterman and arguably could have been the best received 360 track in concert by those that aren't hardcore fans.

The needs, likes and wants of diehards on Interference and people that aren't as interested in U2 are completely different. California is more attention grabbing and up the alley for casuals and radio listeners than anything else here. And with the singles, the band is going to try to bring more people into the flock, not appease the sheep they already have.

You're missing one thing: Crazy Tonight didn't have the stupidest, most cringe-inducing intro on a U2 album since Red Light. California does.

I stand by my original post.

It's interesting. After about five listens, my view on singles have shifted a bit.

I've said it before, U2's most successful singles have been ballads - One, With our Without You, Still Haven't Found...

I think if you look at what's happening with Coldplay at the moment. that Stars in the Sky song is getting a LOT of airplay, at least in my neck of the woods.

I think the second single should be either EBW or SFS. SFS is not my favorite song on the album, but I think it could do ok radio wise.

In between they should do another up beat one.

So I say,

1. EBW
2. California or Volcano
3. SFS

And yes, The Troubles is my favorite. Lykke Li.:drool: Am a big fan of hers for a few years now.

California and Iris are almost certain imo. And if they go with a forth one probably EBW.

Most likely, be Volcano.

I highly doubt that especially with The Miracle being a rocker already released as the first single. California has not only a killer chorus, it also sounds incredibly fresh, very different from what U2 usually does and it's the song that best shows the mood of this album. Iris is extremely modern and groovy and could certainly be a hit imo. For the forth single SFS or Volcano could be possible but EBW sounds much more catchy to me... but we will see :).

California and Volcano. Both better than Miracle (which itself should have been swapped for Invisible)

The more I listen, the more I am convinced this is an ATYCLB style first four songs are the singles.

I'd love volcano or raised by wolves or the troubles, but I don't think it will be.

Well, they have a lot of choice when it comes to potential singles for SOI.

I think Volcano/California/EBW deserve some videos at the very least.

Well, they have a lot of choice when it comes to potential singles for SOI.

I think Volcano & California deserve some videos at the very least.

They could pick any song and it could be justified. But EBW has to be next. It's sublime, infectious, catchy as fuck.

Any word in the first video?

Cedarwood Road may not be the most single-esque (that's not a word is it?) song on the album, but it would be my first choice. I absolutely love that song.

They could pick any song and it could be justified. But EBW has to be next. It's sublime, infectious, catchy as fuck.

Any word in the first video?

I'm sure we'll get something video wise within the couple of weeks or so.

There isnt going to be any singles as such really is there? Some songs will get released to radio and tv channels but there never going to chart cause there free.

Just release the whole album to the radio stations and let them play what they want off of it

This is the first U2 album for me where I could possibly see any of these songs being released as a "single". Here are some that I think could follow Miracle:

EBW
California
Iris
Reach
Troubles

Every Breaking Wave and California will be #2 and #3 in either order. Neither will be a big enough hit to warrant the label throwing out a fourth (especially if another album is imminent). Nothing else on the record is as radio friendly as those two tracks.

We agree on something!! Everything you said here is correct.

Every Breaking Wave could be a huge hit if pushed, and California is a perfect follow up.

No way there will more than that.
If only radio has any room for them at this point. we shall see.

No way in hell will California be a single unless they want to lose fans.

Every Breaking Wave will surely be a single at some stage. Beyond that, I'm unsure for now.

You're missing one thing: Crazy Tonight didn't have the stupidest, most cringe-inducing intro on a U2 album since Red Light. California does.

I stand by my original post.

Are YOU prepared to come in here and eat crow if you are wrong, and California not only becomes a single but also a HIT?

Why is everyone saying California? I've listened to the song many times now and still can't see a hook in it. It's totally forgettable and not in the slightest catchy...

Why is everyone saying California? I've listened to the song many times now and still can't see a hook in it. It's totally forgettable and not in the slightest catchy...

you can lead a horse to water....

:sexywink::wink:

Seriously though, i see this as a youthful "sounding" song, whatever that means. Its incredibly fresh and vibrant from my vantage point, and i *think* thats what they were after here with the Innocence thing. I could be way off in my guesstimation but it sure sounds like a great rock song for the radio, if nothing else, modern rock radio. The name itself conjures up *fun times* and sunny days and the groove packs a punch that backs it up. After all the escape is often better if we are living it through someone elses' dream and not necessarily our own....much less investment and nothing to lose....Maybe you don't see the hook but i sure do. :)

Back
Top Bottom