Post-NLOTH album partially/totally complete? / Two Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eno did mention that "the band were being jerks for leaving some adventurous tracks off the album" (tongue in cheek) or something to that effect in a recent interview

I think the EP by Coldplay might have inspired U2 to do this by the way.

Don't forget Achtung Baby and Zooropa/ZOOTV tour.

It also gives them a second shot if this album flops, which i dont think it will.

That would be a nice change.

Maybe this is that "Passengers part II" project Steve Averill talked about.

I think, given this info and rumours of a 2010 second Euro leg (via McGuiness), they're aiming for a 2010 release.

As great as this sounds...we have to factor in two things:

a. Bono always overpromises

and

b. U2 tends to overthink itself into paralysis in the studio

I hope I'm wrong...maybe "cautiously optimistic" is a better phrase.

Bono's hyperbole has let me down quite a bit lately.

Or maybe they hit a rich songwriting vein and the delay was to get a head start on the next release. Which would be great if they go with it and don't overthink it. But it's all pure speculation...I wouldn't give an isolated Bono quote too much weight at this point.

Or maybe they hit a rich songwriting vein and the delay was to get a head start on the next release. Which would be great if they go with it and don't overthink it. But it's all pure speculation...I wouldn't give an isolated Bono quote too much weight at this point.

I don't have links to other quotes handy but there was one mention by Larry and at least one or two others which hint at another album on the horizon. (see what I did there? :D)

A low key album in mid-2010 would be fabulous. Have it stuffed with songs like The First Time, If You Wear that Velvet Dress, Mothers of the Disappeared, Running to Stand Still, Flower Child, Wake Up Dead Man, One Step Closer, Miss Sarajevo, etc.

the next album should be titled MORDOR
it should contain 12 new psalms about the hypocricy of the modern world as we know it by now.

the album after the next album should be titled DICKHEAD
it should contain 12 heavymetal type tracks like BUSH, HITLER, STALIN, MUGABE, NERO, PUTIN, SADDAM, KHOMEINI etc; because BONOs running on empty of quality lyrics he shoud co-write with his old pal Henry Rollins!!

I do think given the state the music business is in that if U2 wait another 4 years for the next release (2 years touring, break, 1+ year recording and preparing the launch) No Line on the Horizon might be the last U2 album the record company will promote as such
already hardly any money is being made selling records
so I'd venture by then the i-pod / download generation will have made 'the album' commercially non viable (oure sepculation of course :D )
so the band might have a keen interest to get something out within the next 12 - 18 months

God, I hope not. I love Coldplay but that type of release sucks. 8 tracks, under half an hour. Two of the tracks are similar to the regular album (added Jay-Z to the bridge for one, added backing vocals to the other), one track mainly extended and added vocals to an instrumental, and one track is less than a minute of piano tinkling.

Only four real songs there.

God, I hope not. I love Coldplay but that type of release sucks. 8 tracks, under half an hour. Two of the tracks are similar to the regular album (added Jay-Z to the bridge for one, added backing vocals to the other), one track mainly extended and added vocals to an instrumental, and one track is less than a minute of piano tinkling.

Only four real songs there.

I'd say Life in Technicolour I isn't a real song, I skip it every time I play VLV... its more like foreplay :wink:

And say what you want about Lost+, but Jay-Z's bridge really hit home with me, especially during the Grammys.

Anyway, back on topic, even if its under half and hour I think its a good thing because people aren't listening to long albums anymore. I think we're gonna see more and more EP's because of the slow decline of the Album.

Follow Up To No Line

What should it be like?.I think they should go back to a War type sound.

my guess is they are going to explore the stuff that they did from AB all the way to MDH based on the comments from Eno and Bono

So would this mooted album be completely separate from the Spiderman project that's supposed to be coming out?

Sounds a lot more concrete than any of Bono's previous "We want to get out an album as soon as possible after the tour" talk, considering this one already has a concept and apparently songs already planned for it. If they do this people can stop bitching about WHY DID BONO LIE ABOUT HAVING 398567 SONGS. If they don't, we can change this thread title to WHY DID BONO LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING U2 HAS EVER DONE

maybe it'll have Mercy on it :drool:

... :reject:

you know someone was gonna say it eventually :wink:

"There are a couple of songs from the point of view of an active soldier in Afghanistan," Bono told me back in June 2008, at the group's Hanover Quay studio in Dublin, during a break in recording, "and one of them, White As Snow, lasts the length of time it takes him to die".

That's the cool part I got out of the interview. A bunch of us have felt for a while that we're probably getting another album within 2 years of NLOTH, if not even late this year.

But I've never heard that particular description of WAS---"the time it takes for him to die." :ohmy: :drool: That's just cool.

i say it should be an album the college kids go for when they smoke out

pink floydish would work

this could probably be merged with the thread discussing the very possibly real follow-up to NLOTH, which is supposedly made up of the quieter, more meditative songs that didn't make it onto NLOTH.

Personally I want to know what the follow up to the follow up will be like :drool:

OK, I'm glad they wrote this article. It's very exciting stuff. But why did they write this? It's kind of random. I am excited to hear it though – and for the possibility of an album such as what was described. Very cool.

It sounds like an Achtung Baby to Zooropa strategy. By adding the new album to the tour some of the new songs can add some atmosphere to the tour as it goes along.

Here's hoping to an awesome Blu-ray/DVD concert in the future. :up:

Achtung Baby and Zooropa? That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard this! Looks like U2 really DOES want 2009 to be "their year"...Consider me excited. :hyper: (If this released in, say, November, would it be the first time that U2 released 2 albums in a year, or would that be AB/Zooropa?)

Sounds a lot more concrete than any of Bono's previous "We want to get out an album as soon as possible after the tour" talk, considering this one already has a concept and apparently songs already planned for it. If they do this people can stop bitching about WHY DID BONO LIE ABOUT HAVING 398567 SONGS. If they don't, we can change this thread title to WHY DID BONO LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING U2 HAS EVER DONE

I think we found the answer to this one in the earlier "BAAAAAAWWWWW-no" thread: Bono lies about U2 because he is a horrible man who eats puppies. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom