Peter Gabriel should produce the new U2 album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
This man is a genius when it comes to inventing new sounds and atmospheres!

Please only comment if you know all about his music... (not because you actually only know Sledgehammer..)

I don't know if this is slightly off topic, but I found part of this song back when the ATYCLB "fakes" were on napster 6 years ago. I remember someone saying it was Peter Gabriel, but I haven't been able to find what song it is, or if it even is him.

Can anyone identify it?

http://www.ysi .com/download/OgdGIaxXp3k=

1. i have heard a large portion of Peter Gabriel's discography (including his days with genesis) and while i agree that he does come up with interesting sounds and the like, i think it would be a mistake for him to produce a U2 record. They just don't have the same style. I feel like PG is more enthralled by world music. Plus, Daniel Lanois produced 2 of the best PG albums anyway, so in a way it is like they came from the same place.

2. don't know who that song is, but it is most definitely NOT peter gabriel

i think the only thing Gabriel and U2 have in common at this point is their work for Amnesty International. Otherwise I don't see it.

It's a pretty ironic thing: Peter Gabriel and U2 have worked with the same producers (Steve Lillywhite, Daniel Lanois, even Brian Eno worked in the Genesis days with him) but the quality on both sound and arrangements have always been WAY BETTER on Peter Gabriel albums.

Don't forget that Peter Gabriel has also produced albums in the past, so it would be really interesting to hear something from a PG and U2 collaboration. His sound, influenced by the wonderful and unique real World concept, is simply astounding, uplifting.

He's an incredible talented man and one of the most prolific artists ever. I'd love him to collaborate with U2.

ponkine said:
He's an incredible talented man and one of the most prolific artists ever.

I agree with the first part, but not with the second. He's had what, four full studio albums in the past 20 years? That's definitely not prolific. He is brilliant, but he works very, very slowly.

I own every album Gabriel has ever been on. I love his music so, so much. It seems that everything he's involved with is ahead of its time.

I would love for Gabriel to do something with U2. It would be a dream come true for me.

onyourkneesboy said:
This man is a genius when it comes to inventing new sounds and atmospheres!

Please only comment if you know all about his music... (not because you actually only know Sledgehammer..)

all i have to say is...

The Barry William Show:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I meant to ask, has he ever produced an album for anyone other than himself. For that would make a world of difference...

I'm not sure about producing albums, I have to check that. But one thing I'm sure of: He has worked with many artists from Africa, Asia and the rest of the world with Real World Music :heart: and WOMAD. He has produced music for several films as well.

His incredible work producing his own albums and sountracks is worth alone to work with another fantastic band as U2 :up: And don't forget his project with Brian Eno called "Mudda"

Finally, don't forget Peter has worked with Bono already, in the song Sun City

ponkine said:

His incredible work producing his own albums and sountracks is worth alone to work with another fantastic band as U2 :up:

Yeah, but producing yourself and producing another band are two ENTIRELY different things.

I would love to see U2 and Peter Gabriel working together. I believe it would be very frustrating for Bono though, Peter and Edge working together would be the never ending story of experimentation. The sound on Gabriel's albums are just superb!

Folkelig said:
The sound on Gabriel's albums are just superb!

:up: I've noticed that, as well. It's always very lush, and it creates a sense of place.

Working with U2 would be interesting. I'm not sure how long Larry would last, however. I think he's had his fill of interesting music.

Clawgrabber said:
1. I feel like PG is more enthralled by world music. Plus, Daniel Lanois produced 2 of the best PG albums anyway, so in a way it is like they came from the same place.

1) PG's world music would perfectly suit Bono's world concerns.

2) PG's greatest critically acclaimed album is the self-titled third, or "Melt" as it is frequently called. And Steve Lillywhite produced it. You got the wrong U2 connection. Lanois produced his biggest mainstream money-maker, but it was not his best, creatively speaking.

I'd be all for Gabriel producing a U2 album. Although it might take a decade or two.

ozeeko said:

Get his third album. You'll thank me afterwards.

Family Snapshot is worth alone the adquisition of the album :heart:

Also, for U2 enthusiastics, listen to Games Without Frontiers ...

hehehe, you'll find Steve Lillywhite inspiration for War (remember he produced Peter Gabriel III in 1980) ;)

shart1780 said:
My favorite Gabriel album is Us. Some of the best breakup songs ever.

That album is awesome.
'Security' might be my favorite though, it's either of those two.

I was just thinking today, if this Rubin thing fell through, I bet Bob Ezrin might be on their shortlist.

He produced Peter Gabriel's first album, I think, among other albums including Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Wouldn't make sense normally but he and Edge started Music Rising together.

Back
Top Bottom