Perhaps it's time for Rick Rubin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the impact that most producers have on the finished product is overstated. Unless it's someone like Eno, who actually plays instruments or writes with the band. (and has a very close working relationship with the artist). Rubin's influence (both good and bad) is drastically overstated. He does have a close relationship with RHCP and Slayer and acts he's worked with for decades but still...he's not out there talking about chord progressions and shit, he's mainly concerned with an already (basically) finished product.

Rubin doesn't give U2 anything they don't already have.
Besides, it's two different creative approaches entirely.
I'm afraid all that would mean for us is more DELAYS.

Now, for the issue of the actual sound quality. His sound very much mimics that of the production we hear on Bomb today: harsh, overdriven, and lacking in dynamic range. Seriously, listen to Death Magnetic sometime. Is it a good album? To Metallica's recent standards, it's very good. But that sound would undermine the texture that U2's classics possess, and I don't think a more blunt record is the way to go for them.

The reason Death Magnetic and HTDAAB and so many records sound so 'harsh' and 'overdriven' is not because of the failure of Rubin and Lillywhite, respectively, it's because some fuckface mastered it too loud, specifically so it would sound more 'impressive'. And thus is the mentality of the entertainment industry, louder is better in music and more assplosions (in movies) are better. Only because it attracts more mouth-breathers to buy the product.

To take a specific U2 example, there are problems across the board on HTDAAB. Crumbs and COBL are likely, both, mixed badly or even worse (and thus, less likely) recorded badly. My guess is these two songs sounded fine before the volume levels were fucked by the mixer and then some asshole got a hold of them during the mastering phase and made it worse.

If you can picture COBL with it's asinine bass level. The problem, IMO, is that the bass volume level started off too high, in the mixing phase. And when it gets mastered, the sponge is squeezed and you are stuck with more bass than anything else. So while squeezing the sponge was always going to suck some life (dynamics) out of the rest of it, the mixing level was so high on the bass, it actually made it worse than it would have been otherwise.

The melodic piano bit sounds too high as well, so maybe it's a case of the guitar, vocals and drums being too low, but I doubt it. I think they wanted to brow-beat us with that tinkling piano melody hoping it would stick in our heads. I can almost see Bono saying "make that louder!" Blind speculation, of course but I like my guesstimations about that. :wink:

What U2 need is a different creative catalyst, which is primarily what Eno has been for them, that they can trust. They tried it with Howie B. But I'd like to see someone push them in that direction who has a little more...gravitas than Howie B, and different from Eno, who has been working with the band so long, it's going to be difficult to push to new boundaries. Someone like Trent Reznor, why the fuck not? Or bring him in for new musical (certainly not lyrical) ideas (catalyst) and then have Edge polish the rest of it off. At the very least it's a new approach (for U2) to creating SOUND. And for those not familiar, he's a hell of a lot more than just distorted guitars and aggro industrial sound. Dude is a master of samples, synths and strange percussive loops (among whatever else). And his textures are varied from industrial metal to dance to subtle melodic ditties but mostly I am talking about just a new sound, some kind of new additives to the U2 wall of sound.

Whatever the case, I can deal with Eno and Lanois again or Flood but I think they'd be better served with any number of producers not named 'Rick Rubin'.
Like many of you, I like Rubin and own many of those albums he's produced, but he doesn't give U2 anything that they would rely on. They wouldn't even fully trust his biggest strength, IMO (his ears). Otherwise, why didn't Chris Thomas work for them? Because they weren't trusting his ears.

"Chris Thomas just didn't work out" (and dropping all but...what is it, 3 songs on Bomb produced by him?) vs "We'd love to work with Rick Rubin again" (and shelving the material for later use). It sounds like they were more content with Rubin.

:yes: Loudness is an issue, not the producer.

The loudness issue isn't solely a mastering issue, it does have a lot to do with the producer in most cases. A producer still oversees or plays a part in the mixing before the mastering is done, mastering shouldn't have much say in the actual mixing of the track.

Tracks are poorly mastered and poorly mixed these days, across the board, most of it has to do with the fact that most listeners are using computers and iPods to listen to their music.

But what producer is out there that will stand up to the band, challenge the band and the band will respect? I am not sure there are any outside of the three you listed.

Actually, you make a good point. If the producer isn't already a bit of a big-head, it could be highly intimidating to be asked to come work with U2.

With today's technology, it's not like anyone really needs a producer anyway. They just need a lackey to buy cappuccinos and an engineer to press 'record'. Then they can send the messy tapes to various people to play with and see what they get back. Take the ones they like, and garbage the rest.

Eno & Lanois just gave them NLOTH! I'd like more like that, so if Brian and Danny have the time, I say use them!

I understand your enthusiasm of course, but I do take issue with the wording of "Eno & Lanois...gave them NLOTH". The implication is that the producers / collaborators made the album.

Let's recall that when 75% of the most famous / classic rock albums of all time were made, nobody gave a crap who the producer was.

You know what?
I think this isn't Rubin's time.
This is U2's time. No Rubin, no Eno/Lanois, no Lillywhite (No way! No more CT/Walk On and no more Dad's rock with Page's riffs).
That's it: I'm suggesting U2 producing the record themselves.
I'm sure that most of the songs they have are pretty finished and that most don't even need major retouches. Plus, we know that some of them are already recorded and finished, like "Every Breaking Wave" (like "Winter" and maybe "North Star" too).

The big problem is: is U2 able to make final production on those songs and make it cohesive enough to make a good album and not a mere collection of songs? Have those songs that seem to be ready (and some we have been listening to it lately) any relationship between them? Is the SOA mental idea still up?

Rubin worked so well for Metallica and Cash because their music is better suited to a "stripped back" sound. Metallica's sound is 2 guitars, a bass, and a drum and that's it. It's primal and raw. Rubin helped them tap back into that.

Cash's American Recordings are stark and spare, in the same vein of Springsteen's "Nebraska". They're honest and warts-and-all inclusive. Just like Cash's music.

But U2? U2's music belongs in the cosmos and I don't think Rubin can take them there. Eno, to me, is their producer and always should be. He brings the "otherness" to the band that I think they need.

By the way? Rubin produced Window In The Skies and everything about that song is :barf: to me.

Plus, I'm not sure about how well the "no changing the songs in the studio" thing would work for U2. Remember, if that was the case on ATYCLB, we'd have ended up with "Always" instead of "Beautiful Day", and I don't think that's a good thing.

Plus, I'm not sure about how well the "no changing the songs in the studio" thing would work for U2. Remember, if that was the case on ATYCLB, we'd have ended up with "Always" instead of "Beautiful Day", and I don't think that's a good thing.

yes, but that's because they were writing that song while in the studio. They didn't go in with it written.. It was first called "Jubilee", I think.. before that, "Stir My Soul." Edge plays that "coke riff" or whatever people call it, and they take it in a new direction.

presumably, they've already done this with the songs they're now playing live, plus the 3-4 other tracks they'd set aside for Songs of Ascent.

which, to echo my first point, may be why Rick Rubin is a suitable choice for producer. he'll suggest what works, what doesn't.. they'll record as is.. and, viola! album delayed until 2013 New album!

If they work with Rubin I really hope that they'll really make a stripped down rock record, something that HTDAAB wanted to be. No cheesy crap like WITS.

Rubin worked so well for Metallica and Cash because their music is better suited to a "stripped back" sound. Metallica's sound is 2 guitars, a bass, and a drum and that's it. It's primal and raw. Rubin helped them tap back into that.

Cash's American Recordings are stark and spare, in the same vein of Springsteen's "Nebraska". They're honest and warts-and-all inclusive. Just like Cash's music.

But U2? U2's music belongs in the cosmos and I don't think Rubin can take them there. Eno, to me, is their producer and always should be. He brings the "otherness" to the band that I think they need.

By the way? Rubin produced Window In The Skies and everything about that song is :barf: to me.

what, exactly, is "stripped back" about Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jay-Z and Slayer?

seriously people... wtf? what, because he makes an acoustic album with a country star all of a sudden rick rubin only produces those kind of records? dude produced run-dmc for fuck's sake.

You know what?
I think this isn't Rubin's time.
This is U2's time. No Rubin, no Eno/Lanois, no Lillywhite (No way! No more CT/Walk On and no more Dad's rock with Page's riffs).
That's it: I'm suggesting U2 producing the record themselves.
I'm sure that most of the songs they have are pretty finished and that most don't even need major retouches. Plus, we know that some of them are already recorded and finished, like "Every Breaking Wave" (like "Winter" and maybe "North Star" too).

The big problem is: is U2 able to make final production on those songs and make it cohesive enough to make a good album and not a mere collection of songs? Have those songs that seem to be ready (and some we have been listening to it lately) any relationship between them? Is the SOA mental idea still up?
I agree with Aygo on this. I always wanted U2 to try this. I always wandered how amazing and fresh would sound a U2 album produced by the one and only Mr The Edge.
Zooropa is epic to me, but I would love to hear Edge producing U2 now.
(All in my opinion, all crazy speculation)

I agree with Aygo on this. I always wanted U2 to try this. I always wandered how amazing and fresh would sound a U2 album produced by the one and only Mr The Edge.
Zooropa is epic to me, but I would love to hear Edge producing U2 now.
(All in my opinion, all crazy speculation)

Perfectionists/procrastinators that they are...why ? And I don't think they ever expressed an intereset in producing themselves.

Perfectionists/procrastinators that they are...why ? And I don't think they ever expressed an intereset in producing themselves.

I know it will probably never happen, it's just wishfull thinking on my part.
The Edge, Eno and Flood on Zooropa gave us, IN MY OPINION, one of the most original produced albums from U2.
I imagine a U2 record produced by The Edge could only mean greatness.
But as I said, I doubt it will happen.

It probably means absolutely nothing, but the album U2 had the greatest production control over, Zooropa, was released with far greater expediency than anything else they've made. It probably won't shake out that way anymore, but hey, it's the only thing we have to draw from for precedence.

I bet they recorded Boy pretty quickly..

went in with their tried and tested songs and turned out a record that captured the live spark.

could work again..

What's interesting about Zooropa in this context is that the idea started out as an EP to be recorded and released between legs of a massive stadium tour.

Sounds awfully familiar.

I would just like to say that I have really enjoyed the posts in this thread by Headache In A Suitcase!

Thank You for injecting a bit of common sense into this! Rubin is hardly a one dimensional character and his best asset is, I think, getting bands to focus, which is something that U2 needs right now. By the very definition of his style, he doesn't push artists in any direction, they dictate that.

I just can't believe so many of us are fearful that U2 will put out a rock album. Oh, the horror!:ohmy: They've only been a rock band their entire career:doh: Seriously, rock is what these guys do, even their well known mid tempos and ballads are done in a rock arrangement- Bad, WOWY, etc. The only case anyone has for anything other than rock for a U2 genre is Passengers.

People take the legitimate concerns about how Bomb was mixed and mastered and try and twist it into "U2 rocking will be an embarrassing attempt at Dad channeling Jimmy Page, period end of story."

This completely ignores all the rock songs they wrote before 2004 with none of these shortcomings. I mean, listen to Boy and War, they are straight up rock albums. I don't see how too many U2 fans could have a real problem with either of those albums. It also ignores the fact that No Line rockers(whatever their individual merits) were much better produced and mixed than HTDAAB's compressed wall of bombast.

Don't worry, these guys know what they are doing!

I just can't believe so many of us are fearful that U2 will put out a rock album. Oh, the horror!:ohmy: They've only been a rock band their entire career:doh: Seriously, rock is what these guys do

Excellent point, which needed saying. I sometimes get the feeling that Interference is obsessed with some false notion of U2 as arty-progressive rockers emulating Brian Eno's solo albums. They rockers, deal with it!

Don't worry, these guys know what they are doing!

What? They do???

Excellent point, which needed saying. I sometimes get the feeling that Interference is obsessed with some false notion of U2 as arty-progressive rockers emulating Brian Eno's solo albums. They rockers, deal with it!
:lol::lol:

Thank You.

I get the same feeling sometimes!

There was a thread discussing "Soon" a while back that reading it, you got the feeling that the sky was going to fall if they didn't go in this direction for an entire new era! I said I liked Soon a lot but simply pointed out that they've never gone in that direction entirely, their albums have always been a mix of rockers, mid tempos and ballads with the occasional atmospheric piece thrown in. I also added that I really didn't want U2 to put me to sleep, and linked the video of Bono telling everyone "this is a rock and roll show" before Even Better... on Zoo TV!

They flamed the shit out of me.

Hope all is well, 65980. I stand by the points I made in that discussion last week, but sorry it got out of hand.

Being less of an asshole is something I'm working on here.

I really doubt anyone here is saying they want U2 to release an ambient album with no rock sensibilities, we just don't want a completely streamlined, commercially-aimed album stripped of artistic experiments. TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa, NLOTH, etc do something outside the norm while all having rock sensibilities. We just want to see them being the creative force they were (and still are based on demos we've heard over the past decade, but they shy away from releasing such material). I'm all for rocking tracks, but I'll take the creativity of the best rockers of the albums I mentioned, not the commercialized rockers they attempted with stuff like SUC.

I don't think Rubin is the one to turn to at this point in their career unless they want an even more 'back to basics' era than ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom