One year ago today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved Edge's cooking show, wish it was only about music, not about pasta. Plus, I wish Flea also played some bass in that session, man.

I wish that Edge played more songs. That version of Running to Stand Still is incredible.

I wonder if some hip young band had done the apple give away, would they have suffered the same results? Probably not. Part of the reason people took to this negatively is because U2 are the biggest band in the world. Of course they can afford to give their album away! Meanwhile, it demeans the value of the music that poor young artists work so hard to make.

Basically, it's u2's fault now. Forget that since the millennium began, the majority of music has been illegally downloaded for free, and that recorded music is a dead horse, at least in terms of making money.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SOI was more or less the album I figured we would get after U2 sat on the Danger Mouse material for another 7 months.

I call BS, no one predicted this album. And I don't think there was any way one could have predicted Wolves, Troubles, Sleep, California, etc

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Say what you will about Magoo...he may have been old school and not what U2 thought they needed in this day and age, but U2 was essentially his only client, and they got his attention and priority. He put everything he had into that band. Add to that the fact that he genuinely cared about all of them and the bands legacy, something I'm sure Oseary couldn't care less about. IMO it was a mistake, and a classless one at that, to let him go the way they did.

Karma is a bitch.

I imagine we will get the details of exactly what went down several years from now in the form of an autobiography. I really hope it didn't go down the way many think because he was the 5th member and deserved better. It is possible that he himself made the decision to step down but I don't think that is the case.

I get that NLOTH was not the hit they were expecting but the tour was the biggest in history, it's not like they fell off the face of the earth. Not to mention, ATYCLB and BOMB were massive successes both in the coveted US market and world wide.

If they did in fact force him out ....THAT is the single worst decision they have ever made because the man brought them great success.

The only exception would be if Magoo was the one who pushed for the guy-liner...then I get it ;)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I really hope it didn't go down the way many think because he was the 5th member and deserved better. It is possible that he himself made the decision to step down but I don't think that is the case.

was there any insider info as to how it went down? i'm genuinely curious.

i think it's also fair to point out that no one really could have predicted the Apple backlash,

what evidence do we have that McG was treated poorly? i'm not saying he wasn't, but i'm not aware that there is bad blood between him and the band.

How were U2 to know that people are so into privacy rights? There was no evidence to support the idea that people would give half a shit about apple plopping something onto their device. If they don't care that their own government is spying on them...

I thought that McG retired. Is there any evidence that he was fired/forced out? If there was bad blood the liner notes wouldn't have been so kind to him. It saddens me a bit that he's not there any more. It's just one more reminder that U2 are massive corporation, not an independent family business. I prefer to shop at the latter...

How were U2 to know that people are so into privacy rights? There was no evidence to support the idea that people would give half a shit about apple plopping something onto their device. If they don't care that their own government is spying on them...

I thought that McG retired. Is there any evidence that he was fired/forced out? If there was bad blood the liner notes wouldn't have been so kind to him. It saddens me a bit that he's not there any more. It's just one more reminder that U2 are massive corporation, not an independent family business. I prefer to shop at the latter...

:up:

was there any insider info as to how it went down? i'm genuinely curious.

Not that I have read or heard, other than the PC "parted ways" line. It's possible I missed something though.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So while I certainly believe that Guy Oseary has done a piss poor job, and that signing on a guy who's other main client was another aging icon doing a fairly poor and embarrassing job of hanging onto past glories wasn't the wisest of decisions.

But it's on the band note than anything. They have control of everything they do. No decision is made without their input. They've always wanted to be the biggest thing going, and are incapable of realizing a world where this is not possible.

It's admirable and foolish in the same breath.

The album release could have gone so much better. A surprise release would have been big, but it's been done. A free release would have been big, but it's been done. They needed to be bigger than everyone. This has to be an event. Everyone will want to hear this, because we are U2.

Alas, they flew a bit too close to the sun on this one.

Ahhh... those were the days.

As for the marketing, dropping the album unexpectedly, great. Giving it away for free, fine. Having it automatically download, dumb.

Still, I think if the promo train hadn't have crashed, things would be better. I still get sad knowing I had GA tickets to see them at Almost Acoustic Christmas in December. :depressed: Also, with the promo, I imagine the ticket sales would be slightly better, still think they priced badly.

Hopeful? People were pessimistic as hell back then, bitching about the wasted opportunity with the Super Bowl ad and stuff. Now, a year later, we have a new U2 album and we've had some great promo stuff going on. We're looking forward to a mega tour. I don't get the negativity. The only really bad thing is Bono's accident. Without it, we'd be having a LOT more U2 going on right now.
Lol, what forum were you on??? Around the Superbowl time, I was one of the few people NOT conviced there would be an album released either right after or in June. Most people were getting excited and expected an album before summer.

Mega tour, hardly. 360 was a mega tour. THis is just an arena tour.
It was white washed in the name of heeeeetz. Lots and lots of heeeeetz.

It was all McGuinne$$ idea, I tell ya.

:lol: obviously.

But it's kinda odd, if you listen to SOI and Invisible... it seems like two different worlds. While the initial plan seemed to be to have Invisible on the album. I'm having a hard time thinking of a spot where it would fit.

Lol, what forum were you on??? Around the Superbowl time, I was one of the few people NOT conviced there would be an album released either right after or in June. Most people were getting excited and expected an album before summer.

Mega tour, hardly. 360 was a mega tour. THis is just an arena tour.

:lol: obviously.

But it's kinda odd, if you listen to SOI and Invisible... it seems like two different worlds. While the initial plan seemed to be to have Invisible on the album. I'm having a hard time thinking of a spot where it would fit.

The theme of Invisible fits the theme of the songs on Songs of Innocence, so I absolutely think it would fit. It would fit even better on the all Danger Mouse produced album, alas...

Ahhh... those were the days.

As for the marketing, dropping the album unexpectedly, great. Giving it away for free, fine. Having it automatically download, dumb.

Still, I think if the promo train hadn't have crashed, things would be better. I still get sad knowing I had GA tickets to see them at Almost Acoustic Christmas in December. :depressed: Also, with the promo, I imagine the ticket sales would be slightly better, still think they priced badly.

I do think the week on Fallon would have been able to fix a lot of the PR damage done by the release method.

They were planning some really cool things for that week, beyond simply pulling the band out and tossing them on stage 5 times, and it's a damn shame that it's looking more and more like it will never happen.

Yeah, and as far as the Apple backlash, not sure how much we need to rehash it, but the mis-step was on Apple's end. If they had made it a free download on iTunes, no harm done. But pushing it to everyone's purchased items was where the mis-step occured. As much as I love Apple products, I just can't believe that they didn't foresee a backlash from this strategy to the point where I almost think it could have been an accident. Actually, I'm almost convinced it was an accident. Apple is so strict about security that I just don't see this "push to purchased items" strategy flying with the decision makers at Apple.

Of course we know that in the end, U2 took the fall for Apple's mistake.

Yeah, and as far as the Apple backlash, not sure how much we need to rehash it, but the mis-step was on Apple's end. If they had made it a free download on iTunes, no harm done. But pushing it to everyone's purchased items was where the mis-step occured. As much as I love Apple products, I just can't believe that they didn't foresee a backlash from this strategy to the point where I almost think it could have been an accident. Actually, I'm almost convinced it was an accident. Apple is so strict about security that I just don't see this "push to purchased items" strategy flying with the decision makers at Apple.

I remember watching that invisible performance from Bono and i thought "yeah he is ready to take on the world again" he looks wired during the song

all this promotion was aimed at american's. Here in the uk invisible went down like a bad fart,i think radio 2 played it a few times but nobody knew u2 had a new track out. It didnt make any impact at all, miracle had an earthquake of an impact compared to invisible ( miracle hardly made any impact by the way)

i don't see how U2 could not have known this. they can say that they didn't, or mis understood, for damage control, but they should have known. or Guy O should have told them.

a detail like this shouldn't slip when the stakes are so high.

i don't see how U2 could not have known this. they can say that they didn't, or mis understood, for damage control, but they should have known. or Guy O should have told them.

a detail like this shouldn't slip when the stakes are so high.

Let's say U2 did know that it was being pushed to Purchased Items, I wouldn't say that I expect them to know that it would be so hard to remove the album or have a firm understanding of the technical fallout. That's not their job. Their job is to make the music.

many farts are free releases pushed unsuspectingly onto people who don't want them.

essentially, U2 farted on your pillow and left the room.

Yeah i think the " we didnt realise it would auto download to people's device's (those who had the auto download option turned on)" dosent ring true.

Are they telling me people at apple didnt realise this would happen??? the biggest company in the world wouldnt know something that even i know happens ???

It was a way of covering up the backlash.

When they did the apple deal i was all for it, infact i loved it that u2 were pissing people off. But now i look back on it and i really think it could have been a mistake. I love SOI and the whole apple thing took away any discussion about the album, it took away the fact that u2 had just released a good album. Nobody talks about the album (apart from us)

Yeah i think the " we didnt realise it would auto download to people's device's (those who had the auto download option turned on)" dosent ring true.

Are they telling me people at apple didnt realise this would happen??? the biggest company in the world wouldnt know something that even i know happens ???

It was a way of covering up the backlash.

When they did the apple deal i was all for it, infact i loved it that u2 were pissing people off. But now i look back on it and i really think it could have been a mistake. I love SOI and the whole apple thing took away any discussion about the album, it took away the fact that u2 had just released a good album. Nobody talks about the album (apart from us)

Back
Top Bottom