Official U2.Com: Where The Album Has A Name, "No Line On The Horizon" Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every Breaking Wave

Every breaking wave sends us surfing. Yet the waves are not really our nemesis.
They push toward the shore and home. We need high winds, strong waves and
heavy currents to reach shore.

- 66 Days Adrift

WTF does that have to do with the new album or music for that matter. Happy New Year! Peace!

:D - I remembered that verse from the book and it struck me, just thought I'd post.

The line in the song, "I don't know if I'm that strong" makes me curious... The ocean as a mataphor for the human struggle is cool.

Happy New Year all!

PS: What happened to the song Tripoli?

Great song title, sounds very UF-like, and judging by the descriptions this song looks to be something special. :up:

Wow, threads need to have a point now? :doh:

At any rate, I thought the passage from the book
was interesting, considering the title. And the metaphor
as well, as the subject of the book is a struggle against
the ocean.

Gah, nevermind. I'm going to go drink now.

PS: Pointless threads are sometimes the most fun ;)

:D - I remembered that verse from the book and it struck me, just thought I'd post.

The line in the song, "I don't know if I'm that strong" makes me curious... The ocean as a mataphor for the human struggle is cool.

Happy New Year all!

PS: What happened to the song Tripoli?

Tripoli may (or may not) appear in that Corbijn-directed DVD that will be sold with the album.

That "strong" line sounds familiar...isn't that from Playboy mansion ?

edit:

"Don't know if I can hold on
Don't know if I'm that strong.
Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the colours come flashing
And the lights go on."

Tripoli may (or may not) appear in that Corbijn-directed DVD that will be sold with the album.

That "strong" line sounds familiar...isn't that from Playboy mansion ?

edit:

"Don't know if I can hold on
Don't know if I'm that strong.
Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the colours come flashing
And the lights go on."

Good Call.

He also mentions the line somewhere else...though I can't remember which song it was. Well, if the line is linked to Playboy Mansion, which is a song about getting into heaven, then maybe the new song is about the same subject.

Good Call.

He also mentions the line somewhere else...though I can't remember which song it was. Well, if the line is linked to Playboy Mansion, which is a song about getting into heaven, then maybe the new song is about the same subject.

you are possibly thinking of "i cant wait any longer, cant wait til im stronger, cant wait any longer to see what you see, when i look at the world"

you are possibly thinking of "i cant wait any longer, cant wait til im stronger, cant wait any longer to see what you see, when i look at the world"

BINGO!!!! nice catch! :up:

EDIT: WILATW is also about heaven right? "I'm in the waiting room, can't see through the smoke...I think of your holy book...while the rest of us choke"

EDIT: WILATW is also about heaven right? "I'm in the waiting room, can't see through the smoke...I think of your holy book...while the rest of us choke"

If I recall correctly, Bono said in an interview or U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song (Amazon.com: U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song: Niall Stokes: Books) that it's about someone talking to him---that he, Bono, sees the world in such a positive way that other people can't quite get. Something like that.

^ I actually thought it was about Ali. About the fact that she can see the beauty in everything (as well as Grace "grace finds beauty in everything"). She is always positive, and makes him a better person

I know most of the song is about either Ali or Jesus or both...but that last verse is about Heaven. I saw it written somewhere where he talks about that last verse as being related to that. I wish I could find it.

^ I actually thought it was about Ali. About the fact that she can see the beauty in everything (as well as Grace "grace finds beauty in everything"). She is always positive, and makes him a better person

In U2 by U2 Bono mentions that people have suggested to him that the song is a portrait of Ali, but honestly I can't image why. The song is rather bitter and dark, mocking turned to hurt. He explains that the lyric is from the perspective of a person who has lost their faith, looking at the world and seeing no light, then looking at a person who has kept their faith and not being able to understand how they can hold on to their hope and visions of beauty. The protagonist begins by taunting and sneering at the person of faith ("I look at you with your holy book, while the rest of us choke"), but moves on by the end of the song to the protagonist envying the other's belief and breaking away from the argument in pain and self-doubt. The last two lines say it fairly clearly:

Tell me, tell me, what do you see?
Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me?

I have a very strong feeling that the protagonist here is Bono's dad, and Bono is the person of faith.

ETA: As for the "waiting room" imagery, Bono has said that this is taken from the memory of being at the hospital when his mother was dying, a time when people could smoke in the waiting rooms.

Wow, thanks for that description rosebud, every piece fits together. Makes it an even more meaningful song. :ohmy:

:up:

In U2 by U2 Bono mentions that people have suggested to him that the song is a portrait of Ali, but honestly I can't image why. The song is rather bitter and dark, mocking turned to hurt. He explains that the lyric is from the perspective of a person who has lost their faith, looking at the world and seeing no light, then looking at a person who has kept their faith and not being able to understand how they can hold on to their hope and visions of beauty. The protagonist begins by taunting and sneering at the person of faith ("I look at you with your holy book, while the rest of us choke"), but moves on by the end of the song to the protagonist envying the other's belief and breaking away from the argument in pain and self-doubt. The last two lines say it fairly clearly:

Tell me, tell me, what do you see?
Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me?

I have a very strong feeling that the protagonist here is Bono's dad, and Bono is the person of faith.

ETA: As for the "waiting room" imagery, Bono has said that this is taken from the memory of being at the hospital when his mother was dying, a time when people could smoke in the waiting rooms.

Ahhhhhh...well that actually makes much more sense. Thanks! :up:

Imagine that....being able to smoke in a HOSPITAL waiting room. Geez!

Ahhhhhh...well that actually makes much more sense. Thanks! :up:

Imagine that....being able to smoke in a HOSPITAL waiting room. Geez!

When my grandad was a patient in hospital in the 80's he could smoke in his hospital BED :ohmy:

Back to topic :reject:

Has anyone mentioned this from Matt McGee's column at atu2.com?

"Speaking of new U2 material, fans are still buzzing about what the new album might sound like and those quotes in the new Q magazine are only fanning the flames. There are still comparisons to the change from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, but did you read some of the quotes listed last week on U2.com? The one that really stands out to me -- and alarms me, frankly -- is what Larry said when asked if U2 is "returning to experimentation" --

I don't know the answer to that. Initially, the idea was to do this esoteric thing and have a few hits there as well. It's kind of morphed into something else. I think there is experimentation in there.. it's just a different animal. It's not quite what people would expect a U2 experimental thing would be. I mean, if you think of Zooropa, or Passengers, this is not that. This has got a lot of weight.... I think it's some of the best music we've ever written.

I so badly want to be bouncing off the walls about what this is gonna sound like, and want to hear a sound that's different from the last two albums, but this quote kinda scares me. "I think there is experimentation in there" ... it's not experimental like Zooropa or Passengers were ... it was originally going to be somewhat esoteric, then "morphed into something else"?

It almost sounds to me like Larry is going out of his way to contradict what others have been saying about a new sound and change of direction -- like he's trying to downplay this idea of U2 being somewhat experimental.

I sure as heck hope I'm wrong. We're talking about Larry's quotes in the forum -- feel free to share your thoughts."

What do you guys think? I have to admit that I felt a bit of uneasiness myself when I read this. Like Larry felt he had to cover something. Not the most encouraging thing in the world. Last_unicorn, et al., please don't immediately flame me for this. Thanks.

Has anyone mentioned this from Matt McGee's column at atu2.com?

"Speaking of new U2 material, fans are still buzzing about what the new album might sound like and those quotes in the new Q magazine are only fanning the flames. There are still comparisons to the change from The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, but did you read some of the quotes listed last week on U2.com? The one that really stands out to me -- and alarms me, frankly -- is what Larry said when asked if U2 is "returning to experimentation" --

I don't know the answer to that. Initially, the idea was to do this esoteric thing and have a few hits there as well. It's kind of morphed into something else. I think there is experimentation in there.. it's just a different animal. It's not quite what people would expect a U2 experimental thing would be. I mean, if you think of Zooropa, or Passengers, this is not that. This has got a lot of weight.... I think it's some of the best music we've ever written.

I so badly want to be bouncing off the walls about what this is gonna sound like, and want to hear a sound that's different from the last two albums, but this quote kinda scares me. "I think there is experimentation in there" ... it's not experimental like Zooropa or Passengers were ... it was originally going to be somewhat esoteric, then "morphed into something else"?

It almost sounds to me like Larry is going out of his way to contradict what others have been saying about a new sound and change of direction -- like he's trying to downplay this idea of U2 being somewhat experimental.

I sure as heck hope I'm wrong. We're talking about Larry's quotes in the forum -- feel free to share your thoughts."

What do you guys think? I have to admit that I felt a bit of uneasiness myself when I read this. Like Larry felt he had to cover something. Not the most encouraging thing in the world. Last_unicorn, et al., please don't immediately flame me for this. Thanks.

i really don't have an opinion either way on this. based on everything i read, this will be experimental, but not in the vein of Zooropa or Pop. plus, Larry's always played the party pooper role.

Matt McGee is spot on. Larry's answer works perfectly in that context. And song descriptions, along with the beach clips we've heard are telling us that this is far from a wildly innovative, experimental record. It may have been something like that somewhere in 2007, but this is what happens when you work on 12 songs for over 2 frickin' years.

Like always, I really hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom